One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 14:26:58

ned

Why is there not a day/night cycle?

It doesn't make sense to be so cold during the day and use up so much food. While obviously surviveable, it creates a steep learning curve, especially with the new update. This could be fixed by making a day night cycle where daytime temps are slightly warmer, but nighttime temps are colder than what we see now. This maintains overall difficulty balance while creating a window of opportunity for advancement.

Obviously, the biggest problem with this is that players born during the night would have a harder time surviving. I suggest maybe having the different servers be on different times, and births could only happen during the day?

Something like this:
Server - Time
1 - 0
2 - 2
3 - 5
4 - 7
5 - 10
6 - 12
7 - 15
8 - 17
9 - 20
10 - 22

At this point, births might only happen between servers 4 and 9.

Last edited by ned (2018-03-09 14:28:22)

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#2 2018-03-09 14:40:06

llap

Re: Why is there not a day/night cycle?

There already is ... every 1/365th minute .. but it is so fast, we don´t see wink

I guess it would looks cool but because 1 minute is one year it doesn´t fit as well. (my thought)

llap Olli

llap Olli

#3 2018-03-09 14:51:53

ned

Re: Why is there not a day/night cycle?

That's a good point, haha. I suppose that is actually the biggest obstacle to implementing it.

But in my defense, if this game were theoretically on another planet, its totally possible for a planet to have a rotation thats so slow it takes a few years.

At the very least, I think it could be an organic way of keeping biological time. If a full cycle was, say, 10 minutes, then we could better keep track of how old we are, and I wouldn't have to use a stopwatch. While there are obviously physical signs of aging, it would be most helpful during that middle period where few changes occur. I would likely plan differently knowing I had 30 years left as opposed to 20.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

Board footer