One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-17 01:11:03

Lotus

Mama

I loved you too much to post this in Missed Connections, where some of you don't even check.

XTF87xG.png

Mother, I had been murdered four times in a row and was really beginning to feel down. I had been innocent in every life and I vented to you as a baby, saying "PPL / IN / BIG / TWN / ARE / MEA / N" and you understood perfectly, agreeing with me. You gave me a little mouflon hide and told me the sweetest things before asking me to berry farm in my great uncle's place.

You went grey shortly after I turned four, and came to visit me in the berry farm often. You kept feeding me and reminding me to eat, which I found so sweet. I called you "Mama" as if I was still a child, even as I grew into my late teens. I switched to bean farming while the berries grew, and you told me to do whatever made me happy. I told you I would dye your shirt, but I saw your hunched back and began to worry. Your age was increasing by the literal minute. Would I have time?

I gave you a snakeskin boot I found in the wilderness. You kept trying to give me all of your clothes since I gave my mouflon hide to a child in need. We argued about this, playfully of course, and eventually you won with the "do it for me" trick. You were such a kind person.

I went on farming and as your age progressed, I ceased my work to care for you. I placed berries in bowls and carried them over to your withered form as you sat by the fire and rambled with my brother and his adopted son. You kept feeding us even in your elderly age. I loved you.

"Mama, please don't die!" I sobbed. I would miss you so much -- it would be too much to bare.

You sighed. "It's part of life hun," you told me. I knew it was coming but I didn't expect it so soon. "Live long and prosper," you told us. "Fly high!"

"I'll try, but it'll be so hard without you," I cried. But you couldn't respond. You just didn't have the time. So instead, you shouted "Fly hiiiiiigh!!" at the top of your lungs before perishing.

Devastated, I picked up your bones and moved them next to my great uncle, the man you had spent your late life on, attending his grave. I made you a grave quite quickly and set off to find roses.

Years. Years melted into decades. Savanna after savanna. Screen after screen. No home marker to guide me. But I had a sense, I could tell, and I would always return to your grave.

"I'm sorry Mama," I whispered to your grave. "I cannot find a single rose bush." By this time, my hair was balding. I knew I didn't have much time, and it seemed that mere minutes ago you had perished.

So I settled for the next best thing, making you a marked grave. Now, let me tell you, you have to travel far as all fuck to find a skewer when you're born into a massive city. And I wasn't looking for one, I was looking for three. That's a hell lot of skewers in the first place, but in a huge town like ours, there was almost no hope of me finding three, an far lesser chance of finding a rosebush in the wild, and we didn't have any luck there, did we now?

My hair had greyed by the time I found skewers. Two in the badlands, far North of the city. Another equally far South. I cut some flint into chips and formed the skewers into letter stocks.

Two V's and an I. Then a W and an N. Finally, an M. I headed back to camp with my food meter half decayed.

Took another five years for us to figure out how the frackle dackle to mark a grave. Letter M and chisel on grave. Then mallet, right? Nope. We tried over and over, moved your bones, exchanged the mallet, nothing. Then Sun, my adopted nephew, brought a different chisel over and it worked. Huh.

Then my older brother emerged, Eagan. "Only us," he delivered the bad news. The town had died out. Well, that's probably not good, considering we're all elderly men. We decided to all die of old age and set home markers so we have a chance of respawning as an Eve.

And we did. I died next to you. I hope Sun was alright on his own for so long. That kind of isolation would have driven me to madness.

I love you, Mama. You were by far the best Mama I've ever had. I'm so privileged to have had you in my life. I love you so much, you are so sweet and kind. Keep doing the sweet and kind thing. Even if you're murdered four times in a row.

--
Family Tree:
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=345687
--

Last edited by Lotus (2018-06-17 01:13:12)

#2 2018-06-17 02:24:43

YAHG

Re: Mama

I don't like the missed connections thread. Thank you for your story.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-06-17 03:26:03

startafight

hey i was sun. i buried you where you were standing for this picture, uncle. i was gonna try making u and pa markers but i couldnt get em in time. i put a boot on your grave and pa's. died next to all of u

#4 2018-06-17 03:38:38

CarrotPies4Life

Joey! My sweetie. How are you?

I don't need a rose bush for you to honor me,
for both you, Eagan, Alpha, and Sun did it merely by sharing my passing times with me.

When you informed me of your job switch, I could not have been prouder. You worked on the berries
as long as your willed allowed you and then switched. You're beans made superb stews.
Being the Smith was not easy, of course. I missed valuable times of your primary stage.
I took frequent breaks to check on you and your brothers, ensuring you haven't died of starvation!

Gee, when you told me of all the murders I couldn't help but think of my previous lives.
I died multiple of times, left, cold and hungry, by mothers who indulged on the finest wool's and skins and shoes adorned in cactus fruits. Sometime people are so caught up in the wealth of their towns they don't realize what it takes to cater to it.

My mother, your grandmother, died before naming me. I was cared for by the village ladies, who then named me the smith. They never called me a name. Just "Girl". That became my name soon after. "Girl, make some more tools.", "Girl, how are you?".

I was happy, I was proud. When Alpha was born, I made sure he would not share the same fate as my mother nor the burden of "Boy.". I named him proudly, carried and tended to him. Then he got me a stick. I couldn't be happier! Unfortunately, I was just a poor smith at the time and had next to nothing to give him. All my clothes had been left behind by now richer people or given to me by those who found it on the dead. Alpha had the heart and spirit of a bull who made friends with wolves. I was proud of him.

As time would allow it, I had your dear brother Eagan, or Eagle, his true name, to him I gave my backpack. His heart was soft, and his connection with the sheep were true. Just as his "Dad". You didn't have a father, but he was truly, a father figure in dear Eagan's life. Soon, Eagan grew and tended to the sheep happily. I was proud of him.

Now you, my precious Joey, came along. You threaded the earth with sorrow and memories which had burned you. You sang me your sad songs. I was born without a women to follow, call mother, no name to be claimed. Yet, I was still happy. "Welcome home." I chirped to you, my last-born. We shared many jokes. You were a mix of my strong son Alpha and my blessed Eagan. "Mama" you would say as you followed me around, covered in your new mouflon skin. "My precious Joey", I would say back.  I knew my departure would hit hard on you, so I tried to do my best when the time came. I dropped hints of my time. Feeding all who came and visted me. Sun, my nephew, was just like his father.

With all this being said, what more could I mother ask for? A grave,sure. Food, sure.

But I'll tell you what.

I didn't need a rose. Why? you ask,

Because Alpha, Eagle, Joey and Sun, were my roses.

Fly High!!!

Lambs, mushrooms, and pies.......sometimes stew......sometimes.

#5 2018-06-17 04:58:55

startafight

CarrotPies4Life wrote:

As time would allow it, I had your dear brother Eagan, or Eagle, his true name, to him I gave my backpack. His heart was soft, and his connection with the sheep were true. Just as his "Dad". You didn't have a father, but he was truly, a father figure in dear Eagan's life. Soon, Eagan grew and tended to the sheep happily. I was proud of him.

dad really was soft! ma abandoned me as a baby, just spending enough time to name me. i wandered about the farm screaming "F" to every passing lady. one kindly fed me but none cared for me. i resigned myself to death at one hunger when dad swooped in and took me in. he said "this is my son." the moment i typed "dad". i was sad that i didnt get to see his last moments, but i told him "ily" as often as possible. he was the best dad and its all thanks to you, gma!

-sun

#6 2018-06-17 07:12:00

TAIOAN

That is, warm.

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#7 2018-06-17 08:40:42

The_Llamacorn

I love to see families connect after death and talk to each other again. <3

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#8 2018-06-17 12:55:29

lostlandofcarrots

This is so sweet <3

#9 2018-06-17 15:47:57

Lotus

@startafight
Hello nephew! I’m so very glad to hear from you. I hope you were alright on your own for so long. During your life, you were so kind to your father and I. Eagan loved you so much, he always talked about you and treated you like his son by blood. And of course, thank you for helping me find out how to mark Mama’s grave. Without you, I would have died without accomplishing my goal. You were such a kind person and I hope to see you in another life someday.

@CarrotPies4Life
Hi Mama... Well, I suppose I called you Mother in my dying years, when I too was withered and grey. I had grown up, but you’ll always still be my Mama. Sun and Eagan helped me try to find roses, but I couldn’t find them anywhere. They didn’t have any luck either. I know you said it was okay that we didn’t get you any, and that we were your roses, but you deserved a beautiful rose to honor your kindness and beauty.

I missed you so much. But I was foolish, spending so much time out of town, finding things for your grave, that I left the town unattended. I wouldn’t take it back, Mama, don’t get be wrong. But I’m probably the reason they all died. Nobody took care of the berries and the beans and the carrots. Only one pie baker remained, and she was too old and committed suicide. The rest of them had no food and they died. So... oops. At least you got what you deserved after death, though. Please don’t feel bad. The town wasn’t the same without you anyway, I think your death is partially why everything stopped.

I wish you had me as your first baby. Then we could have spent more time together. But everyone was thankful for Alpha and Eagan. In fact, they were the only other survivors (excluding Sun and pie lady) so you can brag about the fact that you raised a strong, resilient family. It’s fitting for a strong, resilient woman such as yourself.

I loved you so much Mama. They did too. We missed you terribly but we did all we could for you. You were the best mother and grandmother we could have asked for. Thank you for everything.

— joey

Last edited by Lotus (2018-06-17 15:49:06)

#10 2018-06-17 18:58:34

Luniatji

Yes Mama was really sweet! I keep calling her mama too, even when I get Sun and was official an father. When I was young and before you were born, I only saw mama. Alpha was always traveling far and I saw him first when I was an teenager. Mama was very sweet and nice to me, we didn't have all much time because she also was the smith, but she find always time to say something nice when she was feeding me. When I was old enough she told me to have fun and I walked away to see with what I could best help; couldn't get far though, because when I was six steps away she called after me and gives me her backpack, again telling me to have fun.

I decided to bake the pies when and old man, I thought Alex, came by. He said he was becoming old and asked who was interested in being an shepherd. I always like the sheeps, they are so calming, so I said at once I wanted to; he then called me Son and we walked to the sheep pen together. When I ran the first time to the berry bushes to get berries to feed them, mom came around and we talked. After that she keeps getting to me to see if everything was okay with me. The years flew by, by the time I was an young teen the old Shepherd was really, really old. He told me that he wanted to die with the sheeps because they were family and so he did.

Mom and me talked about Alex and how nice he was, I brought him outside the fence. Afterwards mama and me buried him just outside the pen; mom lies next to him now. Mom gets an shovel and we buried him together, afterwards mom get an head stone so we can proberly bury him, we give him the old shears so he could always shear the sheep in his next life. I was then the only shepherd and run from the pen to the food they can get more babies and fur for clothes.  I had enough for an hat and made one for mom and later for me, so that we could be warmer.

The years flew by and at one moment I heard crying from the side of the berry bushes. So I went there looking for the sound, finding an little boy who was crying hard, tears streaming down. No mother in sight, nobody who could feed him or love him. I then decided he would be loved, no matter what! So I take little Sun in my arms and run to the berries, feeding him. I let him meet the sheeps and told him that he could be the next shepherd if he wanted to, or do something else. I then tend to both the sheeps and my son, letting him meet mom who was happy to have an grandson. And I was so, so happy to know that it doesn’t matter for us both that Sun didn’t get born out of me. He was my son and mama’s grandson, no matter what.

I’m so happy to know that he was part of our family and that all of us don’t look at him with the thought ‘what does he here? ‘ and for him to know that he is more than welcome. I make him an sweater and  watch him, just as mom watched me to see if everything was okay. The years flew by and before I know it, mom was very old. We shared memories and food, were together as an family. It was bittersweet. I don’t want mom to die, but was happy to know that we had an strong family with bonds growing over time. I knew that mom never really would be dead, because we lived and she lived in us. That doesn’t make it easier though! I really hate the thought that she would be gone and that my heart never would leap again, because she checked on me. Then the time came she really died. I was heartbroken, but just like Joey knew it would be perfect to give her an good funeral.

So we buried her next to Alex the Shepherd, who was like a father figure for me. The years flew away to soon, tending to the farm and the sheeps, seeing more and more people dropping dead. I was becoming worried about Alpha and Joey, didn’t see them for a long time. Then Joey came back and we tried to make moms grave by marking it; we really didn’t know what was wrong or why it wouldn’t do it. Who would thought that the mallet must be new! Sun really saved the day. It was sad we couldn’t save the town, but they just didn’t eat. There were enough berries to eat from and well, it wasn’t at his glory, but there were enough left to eat. When I figured we were alone and also find Alpha’s grave it was really hard.

Being so old on my own, I returned to the pen and told them I would love to be buried next to mom. Then we would give each other our love and best wishes; I tried to cheer Sun up because he was getting down at the thought of losing me. But I knew that even if I died, I never would be gone forever. My heart was there, and also my soul. I really hope he felt what I mean. I gave the sheep their last meal, told them that I loved them dearly and blew out my last breath.  Thanks for burying me next to mom! Knowing that we would be together forever makes me more happy than you ever would know.

Also thanks for being so awesome! Mom, if it wouldn’t be for you, I wouldn’t be lived. You were the only mom I ever had who  walked to us to see if everything was okay. I loved the thought that you loved us so much you would see for your own. I hope I bring some of this love to Sun.

Alpha, even if I didn’t know you very much, I loved that you were my brother, thanks!

Joey, being your older brother was fun. I loved you so much and I’m really thankfull that you accepted Sun as part of our family.

Sun, my son, I don’t know enough words in English to tell you how much I loved you, lol. The moment I saw you in the berry field was one of the best moments in this live, to be your father and loving you makes all the things brighter. You were named Sun and that name did really fit you. You were the Sun in my life, thanks.

#11 2018-06-17 21:02:58

Lotus

Hello brother! In the photo in my first post, your grave is the one directly to the right of Mama’s. smile I’m happy to hear all of you are on the forums! This was one of the best family lives ever. Thank you all for the experience.

Board footer