One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 13:45:08

Gauteamus

[suggestion] [village management] Visual cues on Home Markers

This suggestion is coming from a perceived need for basic village management tools to keep sustainable farms going after the
March 8 2018 update.

I am under the impression, (though I have not extensively tested it myself), that multiple people can share the same Home Marker (person B digs up an existing Home Marker with sharp stone, hit it down again with a blunt stone). I am working under the assumption that the original marker owner A, still will have a pointer to the same location. (What happens if person B dies after digging it up, and never hits it down again, though? Is the home arrow really a pointer to a tile, not the Home Marker object?)

After that intro, here comes the suggestion:
Would it be a good ting to be able to visually determine how many living hourlings are bound to a given Home Marker?
Ugly solution, have a small number float above it. A more aesthetic, ingame solution could be to have a number of cuts/scratches/marks in the Home Marker itself showing the number of attuned hourlings. (Maybe there is an upper limit to ho many people can attune to a Home Marker, or maybe the hourlings can only count to, say, 10 (5 marks on each side), everything above 10 is basically "many")

What is the point of all this?
The village elder could determine how many mouths the village farm/hunting grounds can sustain, order all villagers (who intend to live their lives off the villages resources) to make a given Home Marker their own.
Thus the elders can have a rough estimate of how many people are depending on the farm, whenever a new stranger/Eve shows up asking if there is room, or whenever the fertile mothers are in doubt whether to feed new children or cull the population.

#2 2018-03-09 13:57:53

yvanhooe

Re: [suggestion] [village management] Visual cues on Home Markers

I confirm that if I break my own home marker it becomes invalid.

Alternate suggestion to yours: still have one home marker per person but have it fall if the person dies. That's a bit magical, but face it: markers are. And we don't want to break someone else's compass but otherwise they just pile up.

Other suggestion: have a way to carve a totem that would be able to work as a home marker for many people. Have them do a mark with a sharp stone or a ritual on it in order to register it.

Board footer