One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-11 20:47:44

sc0rp

Bye all - griefers won

Today like 5-6 games with griefers in them.  3 with murder spreee, 1 with someone stealing milkweed, buckets and shovels, 1 with asshole putting rabbit bones all over 2nd gen camp.  Can't play in town, can't play in Eve camps, nowhere to go... So you achived victory - one less player.

#2 2018-06-11 21:54:19

Mr.XIX

Re: Bye all - griefers won

I sadly have to agree, that grievers are quite common in villages.
Not just the murdering kind, but rather the disturbing kind.

Examples are: cutting all trees in the area, cluttering all empty spaces and hiding tools.

Having a surplus of food would encourage teaching and talking, but it has a rather nasty side-effect.

I would not mind seeing a karma-system getting in place to repulse the grievers.
(Adding a button in the family tree to report good and bad behaviour?)

#3 2018-06-11 22:10:58

Acozi

sc0rp wrote:

Today like 5-6 games with griefers in them.  3 with murder spreee, 1 with someone stealing milkweed, buckets and shovels, 1 with asshole putting rabbit bones all over 2nd gen camp.  Can't play in town, can't play in Eve camps, nowhere to go... So you achived victory - one less player.

You're always on here complaining, maybe it's for the best.

#4 2018-06-11 22:34:03

TheRedBug

By leaving, you are making the griefers win.
By leaving, you are making the playerbase worse
By leaving, a mother has a small chance of spawning more griefer
By leaving, the percentage of griefer rose
By leaving, you are actually saying that bad stories overcome the good stories

Most importantly
By leaving, you will no longer be able to eat stew. Which is a big thing.
Think again brave warrior.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#5 2018-06-11 22:41:02

Angel Carrillo

sc0rp wrote:

sco0rp, there is WAY too many griefers. Even I'm triggered. On the I'm calling you out thread someone literally murdered me as a black girl over a white one. And she even was freaked for the white girl. I find that racist, even though I'm actually tan colored.

#6 2018-06-11 22:53:08

Tea

It's sad that you are thinking to stop playing. Sure, it is not fun to play with griefers and murderers, being the last male in your family line or playing with other people who don't want to talk to you.

But think of all the delicious stew bowl that you can prepare for your wife, husband, sister, brother or kids. Think of all the potatos that you can harvest and offer them as an sacrificial offering to our only and true god and savior : The wise Potato Grandma !

Take your time to find your inner peace and make some mashed potatoes for some guidance and comfort from our potato grandma. Once you feel ready, come back to a bit lesser bitter world.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#7 2018-06-11 23:28:16

breezeknight

griefers & murderers are supported by Jason, so how can they not win ?
the game is stacked, zero chance to play peacefully, either you are a killer yourself & enjoy kiling in this game or you are just a sad screwed idiot

the game is made look sweet & cozy like the witch's gingerbread house from the Hansel & Gretel fairy tale, if you eat from it, you will be trapped & killed
it's looking that sweet & peaceful & it is pretending to be about parenting & civ building to seduce the gullible players to come in & be the next easy helpless prey

OHOL is probably the most unfair game i've ever played
but who cares, killers are happy  lol

so, come on in, don't be shy, make yourself comfortable with delicious stew, mashed potatoes & mutton pie
the next murderer is near, eat while you can lol

FluxBB bbcode test

#8 2018-06-11 23:31:07

TrustyWay

Nomad life is chill, no griefers and others challenge to achieve. Making clothes and expending your walking family.

#9 2018-06-11 23:38:40

breezeknight

TrustyWay wrote:

Nomad life is chill, no griefers and others challenge to achieve. Making clothes and expending your walking family.

if you are the mother you will be killed by your kids
if you are the kid you will be killed by your mother

totally chill, especially if you don't mind killing lol

#10 2018-06-11 23:48:48

LHO

It's not always so bad, Griefers don't always win.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=305171

I was the last girl in that town, the last person full stop. But I popped out a bunch of sons and daughters, even then only 1 daughter survived but the town is still alive anyway.
There were a few murder sprees in future generations but none of them killed the town.

Last edited by LHO (2018-06-11 23:56:45)

#11 2018-06-12 00:33:04

Lotus

Griefers will be a part of every game.

In fact, I’d say there are less in OHOL in regards to number. It’s a $20 game. The griefers are likely the same few people over and over, trying to spawn into large towns to continue their work.

#12 2018-06-12 00:44:28

Stankysteve

sc0rp wrote:

- one less player.

dont leave me bby.

u were my bby that one time remember? wasnt that fun?

Last edited by Stankysteve (2018-06-12 00:44:53)

#13 2018-06-12 06:03:27

Rose

Born into nice family (5 generation)
20  min later 6 pl was murdered  the rest starved or step on snake.  Only murder left in the camp.

OHOL became rely nice game of parenting...

How many  players we lost this time?

#14 2018-06-12 06:10:37

headofaxes

Rose wrote:

Born into nice family (5 generation)
20  min later 6 pl was murdered  the rest starved or step on snake.  Only murder left in the camp.

OHOL became rely nice game of parenting...

How many  players we lost this time?

Was this the Kidd family? Ran away from dude with bow but camp was in desert, stepped on rattlesnake =='

#15 2018-06-12 06:14:47

Rose

Yes, Kidd family murdered by David.

#16 2018-06-12 13:15:47

sc0rp

TheRedBug wrote:

By leaving, you are making the griefers win.

I'm not making griefiers win, bad game design does.  Griefers are tiny minorty, but they can have huge impact.  They can easily affect 10+ people.  That's clearly misdesign.

TheRedBug wrote:

By leaving, you are actually saying that bad stories overcome the good stories

They really did.  Having 5-6 games with griefers in them (and 2-3 bar minimum per day). Running as Eve few times without finding suitable spot to set up a camp. Helping as Eve's child prop up badly misplaced camp and if you succeed, griefer shows up.  That's not what I call fun.

Tried one more game today.  Struggling village, but I see that I can help a lot.  Then, before I was old enough to pick up a thing, I heard murder scream.  Yeah, lots of fun coming... I'm off for good.

[INB4: Yeah, I know I could hide in the woods, wait until I'm old enough, make bow and arrow and come back for revenge. I actually run after griefer later on, so he could not make another arrow.  I was too young to steal bow, though.  It's just not fun for me to spend half my lifetime to chase some noob griefer.  He wasn't even that skillful, but it still takes huge chunk of your time to deal with him.  And there is no penalty for them.  All I could achieve is teleport him so he can grief another village.  The longer he stay there, the less people affected.  So I left.]

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-12 13:27:44)

#17 2018-06-12 21:10:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Misdesign how?

How can I design the game so that people cannot farm the wrong thing or otherwise waste resources?

Most games do this through hard-coded property rights (if you didn't build it, you can't touch it or change it or use it).  But that can't work here, because there is no long-term ownership.

#18 2018-06-12 22:24:02

sc0rp

jasonrohrer wrote:

Misdesign how?

By giving both full anonimity and no way for players' misdeads to propagate across lifes.  That invites griefing.

jasonrohrer wrote:

How can I design the game so that people cannot farm the wrong thing or otherwise waste resources?

Most games do this through hard-coded property rights (if you didn't build it, you can't touch it or change it or use it).  But that can't work here, because there is no long-term ownership.

If you limit your options to single life and want to keep anonimity, I fully agree there is no way to solve it.  You've already voiced your opinion that letting people set nicknames will break immersion, and I fully support your reasoning there.  So I think that the only viable option is to let some form of karma to propagate across lifes.  My full proposal is in the other thread:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 100#p18200

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-12 22:24:30)

#19 2018-06-13 03:59:14

Uncle Gus

I don't think anything should carry over into another life. Even the lineage ban is a necessariy evil in my eyes. I think griefing needs to be handled within the context of a lifetime. My proposal that I voiced months ago was to be able to use simple items to incapacitate an individual, but only in such a way that it takes more than one person to do it. This way the majority (good players) has the advantage of numbers over the griefers, who predominantly work alone.

Well, I've since gone and coded this myself, and it works a treat. If one player hits another player with a stone, nothing happens. But if a different player then hits them within a set timeframe, that player can't move, can't eat, can't use items for the same amount of time. And once they are incapacitated, it only takes one person to keep whacking them with a stone to keep them still until they starve, so the good guys can take care of themselves and get rid of the griefer as well.

#20 2018-06-13 06:24:32

Glassius

jasonrohrer wrote:

But that can't work here, because there is no long-term ownership.

Ownership is a social construct and is possible only, when it can be quickly defended. People, including me, told you how to allow for ownership
1. Make most tools a weapon. You can attack somebody stealing reaources with hoe, shovel. Than they wilk think twice about it.
2. Give us guardian NPC: dogs. After command "Rex guard" they would protect 9 tiles in close proximity from entrance of all except owner. Command used in house would make them guard all inferior and attack all, which were not inside while command was given.

When my father built a house, he and neighbours made electrical conection on their own. Because of law, power plant had to buy it out. On one beautiful day two sad gentelmen arrived to cuyt us off electricity box, untill power plant will take over electrical infrastructure. My father used shovel in the negotiatons. They agreed very quickly to run for their lives smile

#21 2018-06-13 12:55:59

sc0rp

Uncle Gus wrote:

I don't think anything should carry over into another life. Even the lineage ban is a necessariy evil in my eyes. I think griefing needs to be handled within the context of a lifetime. My proposal that I voiced months ago was to be able to use simple items to incapacitate an individual, but only in such a way that it takes more than one person to do it. This way the majority (good players) has the advantage of numbers over the griefers, who predominantly work alone.

Well, I've since gone and coded this myself, and it works a treat. If one player hits another player with a stone, nothing happens. But if a different player then hits them within a set timeframe, that player can't move, can't eat, can't use items for the same amount of time. And once they are incapacitated, it only takes one person to keep whacking them with a stone to keep them still until they starve, so the good guys can take care of themselves and get rid of the griefer as well.

I agree that something like that may make karma not necessary.  But the ability for just two people (and then one) to starve you is too OP IMO.  Insta kills are not fun.  Not being able to do anything is neither.  I would prefer for effect to be small, but compounded by number of people doing it.  I proposed something like that before:
"A crowd with axes, hoes, hatches, stones and fists should just ROLFstomp one guy with a knife. Even tiny damage with each of those items with long cool down would dispatch griefer instantly. Allow people to lynch."
Care should be taken to make it hard to do accidentally.  So I like very much your idea, that it should take at least two persons in short time for any effect, even tiny, to occur.

INB4: Would we get kids in nursery smacking their youger siblings in the head with stones to starve them?  Maybe only adults should be able to do it (like with bows and knifes).

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-13 12:59:56)

#22 2018-06-13 13:02:26

Rose

Even better if we could use all those stones and sticks only to kill the killer.

#23 2018-06-13 13:33:05

sc0rp

Rose wrote:

Even better if we could use all those stones and sticks only to kill the killer.

Definitely not.  Or you have to provide some other defence against griefing for early camps.  For example I had a griefer in 2nd gen camp (practically 1st - Eve just found the place, I've setup everything else there).  Girefer just picked up rabbit bones and littered all over the place making any work difficult - it's just two clicks per tile, way more to cleanup, as you have to find empty distant one. Hard to eat, as you have no free tile to put down thing you are holding.  No bow yet and she first stole all milkweed I've planted. I've managed to steal one of the rabbit bones, she just made another in my own campfire.  I waited to steal another, but I've run out of food first and she could continue.  Finally someone run to distant biome, to gather mikweed, make bow, arrow, chased her and killed.  Took like 10-15 minutes to deal with.  And that's quite inept or benign griefer.  You can easily totally wreck Eve settlement in few minutes.  It shouldn't be that 6 people around can only watch it being wrecked.  If you piss off a bunch of people, they should be able to stop you.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-13 13:35:34)

#24 2018-06-13 14:16:57

sc0rp

Why I always get griefer in my first game?  This is some kind of cruel punishment?  If so, I don't know for what.  I just got born, my mom fed me once or twice, took a knife, killed Sophie West and let me die.  WTF???  Now I'm on lineage ban, so no West town for me today... Fucking griefers...

I'm not even trying to play another game. I'm nearly sure griefer will be reborn there soon.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-13 14:24:28)

#25 2018-06-13 14:26:41

Kinrany

Uncle Gus wrote:

I don't think anything should carry over into another life.

Why?

IRL civilization relies on behaviors that carry over, which exist thanks to evolution and upbringing. Most of the time humans are not smart enough to be rational thinkers and reason from first principles, we just don't think fast enough. And our preconfigured intuition encourages us to help other people.

So it's not like karma has to be a gamey crutch that exists solely for meta reasons.

Though the consequences shouldn't be permanent, it should be always possible to start over given enough time.

Last edited by Kinrany (2018-06-13 14:29:06)

Board footer