One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 18:22:42

AtomicKittenArmy

[suggestion] User-experience improvements

Before anything is said, I haven't played this game for long but don't get me wrong I love this game. And the things I put in here are merely suggestions and open for debate But, there is some things that I personally feel would forward this game in the future such as:

The Camera

The problem I have with it is that there is times where it just pans one direction and you are only able to see about a tile the opposite direction. This creates problems when trying to talk to another player or trying to move in the opposite direction.
Honestly, I would much rather have the camera locked onto the players position. It would help heaps, especially when trying to talk to another player as there is times when I don't know if their camera is able to see me and I'm only a few tiles away.

Talking

I absolutely love the idea of babies having limited speech but I feel that you're not able to form sentences soon enough. In this game it is extremely important to talk to other players and trade information.
I would say that instead of increasing the character limit by 1 each year. increase it by 2. This would not take away the current mechanic of speech but just speed it up.

Movement

How many times have you tried to walk through a forest only to start picking a branch or leaf off a tree. It's happened to me more times than it should. The way you move around by clicking is decent, you can even hold down the right or left click to continuously move in that direction but maybe adding in more options for people like using WASD.

Item management

let me set up a situation for you. You're on one hunger, you see a bowl with a carrot but its in the back of the bowl. You have to take out all the items in that bowl but there's no space on the ground around you to put it down.
A potential suggestion I would have, would almost be to implement some sort of system to show you the items in containers and let you select which one to take out. This could also work with your held item and allowing you to place it inside the container. It could also be done so that you can craft inside these containers, maybe even including something in the future where you can only craft something inside one of the containers.
This last section is rather poorly explained but I hope the point gets across.

These are all just suggestions and regardless of if they're received well or not I'm still going to be playing this game. I'd love to know what everyone thinks of these and if I'm the only one who feels this way

Last edited by AtomicKittenArmy (2018-03-08 18:23:42)

#2 2018-03-08 18:52:47

ned

Re: [suggestion] User-experience improvements

I agree that the camera can sometimes be annoyingly off center, but if you move around a bit it resolves itself.

He's addressed WASD controls before. They're not likely to come. A recent code change, however, made it so that clicking and dragging doesn't activate an object, which was incredibly annoying for walking long distances.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=141

I don't personally have any qualms with the speech portion. Sometimes when I don't have as many characters that I want, I look at the time and realize I'm not as old as I originally thought. Normally when you're young, you're taking orders anyway. So I haven't had much trouble with this or being more concise.

I do agree that something should be done for the item management. While your particular problem can be prevented by having baskets dedicated to only carrots, I think an easy fix to the basket problem could be just to use a mouse wheel to scroll through container contents. There have been other forum topics about this, too. Personally, I'd like to see backpacks clickable through hair before being able to scroll through basket items.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer on all your points; I share those frustrations. But honestly, I've found they can add to the game sometimes, requiring you to adapt and adjust.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#3 2018-03-09 00:21:12

coderone

+1 all of them

#4 2018-03-09 00:53:15

KewlCrayon

Yeah a HUD would be great, even just a floating menu when you are carrying an item that has a capacity to carry other items.

I've 2 more suggestions

Being able to craft a toolbelt to carry your tool (knife/sharp stone/hatchet/etc), so you can bring it with you and not have to drop it all the time and fumble around on the ground with other items.

Being able to carry your bow like an equip-able item. I've done a few lives as a wolf/bear hunter, and it sucks when you gotta leave your bow in the woods just to bring your kill back home.

Board footer