One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 18:49:26

xoomorg

Advancing Civilization == Starting from Fresh

There will always be situations where we're starting from fresh.  The first Eve on a new server (or newly restarted server) or everybody scrambling in the aftermath of a murder spree by Trolls -- whatever it is, we need to plan for starting fresh.  For most players in fact, in the current gameplay environment, that is the reality.  You're lucky if you're born on a struggling farm, but often you're born to a wandering Eve or are one yourself.  That is the norm, and we should plan our collective strategy around that.

I propose that building tiny farms, trapper/furrier camps, etc. near the resources they require (e.g. ponds, rabbit holes, etc.) over as much of the map as possible, should be our initial goal.  When starting fresh, you should be able to run in any direction and quickly find a cache of carrots (or berries, or more advanced things as we eventually progress in overall technology) sitting at a tiny farm ready to be kick-started.  That will ease the boostrapping phase.

Once we have that basic sustainable survival network in place, we can progress to building more and more advanced micro-settlements in the same fashion.  Ultimately, we can build some central urban core with truly high-tech development.

But I don't think the path is to try building the large central settlement first.  That has to come later, after we have seeded the land with simpler micro-settlements that serve as the steps in rebuilding society.

Basically, we should plan for the situation where a lone new Eve appears into the world.  How can we construct an infrastructure in which she can reasonably advance all the way up the tech ladder and reclaim the high-tech urban core -- within one lifetime?  Bear in mind she may appear randomly anywhere in the world... so we need to leave a path that has starting points everywhere.

#2 2018-03-08 20:37:24

draequine

Re: Advancing Civilization == Starting from Fresh

Bootstrap Package Tiers: Leave these laying in the wilderness for eves if you are alone and dying of old age

Basic Baskets-->Backpacks --->Hand Carts

Home Marker: Skewer, Stone, Sharp
Farm Kit Basic: filled Pouch *2, Carrot Seed
Fire Kit: fire bow, stone hatchet
Hunting: Snare * 2, Flint
Food Package: Pies>Goose>Carrots

Ideal Cart pack with 1 backpack:
Food Package, Home Marker, Fire, and hunting
Make sure that the food pack is the first thing to take out in case they are starving to death when they find your miracle gift

Less Ideal Cart Pack ideas:
Full of pie baskets>Full of clothes>tools>knives&bow+arrows

Don't fill a basket with berries because they eventually disappear,
This kind of cart is usually my goal to make whenever I find a thriving location.

#3 2018-03-08 22:04:10

asterlea

This is definitely something I've seen people discussing before, and there are some good suggestions here. Here are some of my thoughts:

Home markers really aren't too important, you can get by without one if you have to, so not really worth the space imo.

Geese should not be hunted for food as they are an unrenewable resource, and should only be used for smithing where they're necessary.

Wearing a full suit of clothes means that when you die, someone will find them on you, and they can just put them on, so no need to worry about them taking space.

Only really need one snare and one water pouch when starting out, space would be better spent on something different.

Here's an example of a good kit that can fit on one person:
- Full set of clothes
- Backpack with Fire Dill Bow, Stone Hatchet, Water Pouch/Bowl, Snare
- Basket with Carrot Seed, Sharp Stone, Pie/Carrot

This has everything you need to start a farm, make a fire, and catch rabbits for tailoring.

If you only have a backpack, I'd recommend keeping the backpack contents the same as these are all constructed objects made from multiple parts, while the rest are much easier to find or make from nothing. You do have your hands free though, and I'd recommend carrying a sharp stone so you can make a basket when you get the chance.

If only a basket, I'd recommend Fire Drill Bow, Hatchet and Pouch/Bowl. If you already have clothes and something to water with, a snare is not as immediate of a concern.

Of course those set-ups both require finding food in the wild, so if that's a concern use the basket suggestion in the backpack along with some food. For the basket, get rid of the Hatchet as it's slightly easier to make than the Bow Drill.

These kits are also useful if your settlement is having a population problem and you want to gear up a kid to send out on their own. This helps contribute to there being more small camps to run across for Eves, and also helps continue the generational line if the main one collapses but some of the offshoots survive.

#4 2018-03-09 03:50:06

yvanhooe

Also an advice for starting Eve: Move. Find a spot with a real abundance of berries. You may actually stumble on a camp with a few items left. Raise one kid. Making a fire makes it easier (it keeps warmth) but is rarely achievable before the first pop.

#5 2018-03-09 03:59:55

Portager

yvanhooe wrote:

Also an advice for starting Eve: Move. Find a spot with a real abundance of berries. You may actually stumble on a camp with a few items left. Raise one kid. Making a fire makes it easier (it keeps warmth) but is rarely achievable before the first pop.

This.

I'm not sure which server I keep spawning on, but it is pretty sparse. Most of my mothers have just left me for dead, or died of starvation themselves. My last feral eve mother camped out in an area with lots of bushes until I was a child, and then I helped her to set up a little starter civ. Hopefully it is still there and thriving, or at the very least, the ruins might help shelter another Eve.

#6 2018-03-09 04:39:15

KewlCrayon

I thought Geese were renewable so long as the pool was not fully depleted and is full?
I was reading somewhere that if you emptied a pool and refilled it manually, the geese dont come back to it.

#7 2018-03-09 04:42:47

Twinsen

KewlCrayon wrote:

I thought Geese were renewable so long as the pool was not fully depleted and is full?
I was reading somewhere that if you emptied a pool and refilled it manually, the geese dont come back to it.

Interesting... I never knew Geese is renewable at all...

#8 2018-03-09 04:55:45

asterlea

Looking at the recipes, it doesn't appear that geese ever come back, whether they left because the water was drained or they were killed. Basically, once it's a "Pond" there's no way for it to become a "Canada Goose Pond" again.

Board footer