One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-06-06 17:05:37

BlackPaladin

Re: Dying of starvation a few steps away from food

I prefer the overflow tank a bit, even though I usually die to lag if I do starve. Actually happened earlier today once. Click on your piehole with a pie in hand and yet 5 seconds later still not eating even though the animation happened and then you die for no reason even though you only had the first ding go off when you clicked lol.

An overflow tank means you can eat sooner, so lowers that risk without wasting food.

#27 2018-06-06 17:32:15

Intangir

i love the baby in backpack idea that guy said

also i think the overflow idea is awkward, people waste food in real life too

clever people just eat less filling foods while young and wait for more empty boxes

i think it is good how it is

#28 2018-06-06 17:47:03

Anshin

Leftovers are good. Eat them when desperate, or use as farm feed. Makes more sense then feeding a whole bowl of fresh berries and carrot to the lambs!

#29 2018-06-06 18:09:11

zed

jasonrohrer:
> The game encourages you to wait before eating, especially if you are eating
> high-value foods, because eating too soon wastes food.

Yes, I think this is the key problem - it's currently optimal play to let your
hunger meter get dangerously close to zero.

That would be fixed by imposing some penalty for starvation. Slowing movement
is one approach, but that also makes it harder to get to food.

So how about having reaching the "starving" state cause a *permanent*
reduction in maximum hunger pips? This would also add a subtlety to parenting -
even if you feed your child often enough to keep it alive, if you let it get
malnourished it's less likely to thrive.

#30 2018-06-06 20:00:46

YAHG

Overflow tank is just a fake solution. You are just giving people a bigger hunger bar, only they can not see it.

Then we have to secretly 'know' what our hidden true hungers are instead of just making the bar bigger.

It doesn't really solve any problem, it just makes it more complicated and opaque.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#31 2018-06-06 22:05:18

Uncle Gus

YAHG wrote:

Overflow tank is just a fake solution. You are just giving people a bigger hunger bar, only they can not see it.

Then we have to secretly 'know' what our hidden true hungers are instead of just making the bar bigger.

It doesn't really solve any problem, it just makes it more complicated and opaque.

Not quite, there's one bit you're missing. The fact that you can't eat if you're full up to the overflow, so it's more like giving them a bigger hunger bar and disallowing eating in the top x portion of that hunger bar.

#32 2018-06-06 23:06:07

Christoffer
Website

I also don’t like the overflow idea. I think it breaks the design and makes it more difficult for you to balance the game difficulty. Make a left-over item instead (or rather ten of them for 1-10 calories). Maybe there should be a ‘bowl of left-overs’ item too, where you can collect up to 10 calories worth of left-overs. If you put left-overs on the ground, make them decay and disappear fairly quickly. People should learn to take care of their left-overs, shouldn’t they? wink

If pie portions are too big, maybe make them a bit smaller (fewer calories) and add one more portion instead?

#33 2018-06-06 23:08:46

Christoffer
Website

Flintstone wrote:

I also don’t like the overflow idea. I think it breaks the design and makes it more difficult for you to balance the game difficulty. Make a left-over item instead (or rather ten of them for 1-10 calories). Maybe there should be a ‘bowl of left-overs’ item too, where you can collect up to 10 calories worth of left-overs. If you put left-overs on the ground, make them decay and disappear fairly quickly. People should learn to take care of their left-overs, shouldn’t they? wink

If pie portions are too big, maybe make them a bit smaller (fewer calories) and add one more portion instead?

And once we get to paper making technology, we could make doggy bags! big_smile

#34 2018-06-07 03:56:56

HumanMindFly

hihibanana wrote:

I think the overflow tank should be limited based on your age. When you are a baby, you have two overflow squares. When an adult, you have five. When an elder, you go back to two. When full, you cannot eat, yes; you have to wait for it to drain all the way first. But a hard cap on the overflow tank would be ideal, in my opinion.

yeah i like this.  with only like 5 or so extra squares as an adult, its still possible to waste food (which should be possible) and kids and elders are still better off eating simpler foods, however we are less encouraged to wait until we are at the very last square before eating a slice of pie. seems like a win-win?

I also like the idea of your character being "too stuffed to eat anymore", its just some fun flavor.

#35 2018-06-07 10:06:28

Glassius

zed wrote:

jasonrohrer:
> The game encourages you to wait before eating, especially if you are eating
> high-value foods, because eating too soon wastes food.

Yes, I think this is the key problem - it's currently optimal play to let your
hunger meter get dangerously close to zero.

There is simpler solution I included in my enhance cooking proposal..

Make all food filling only few bars hunger per bite/gulp, while giving superioir foods much more portions. Like popcorn. Pies may be 8 bites instead of 4, with halfed satiation ability. Basic, raw ingredients should be very inferior, like filling 1-3 bars per portion. If berry fill only 1 bar, nobody would be waiting for starvation to eat. But it will create rush for better cooking recipes.

#36 2018-06-07 19:00:17

YAHG

I understand Gus. If the extra bar is visible to us while we play with like a different color or something it would be fine I think.

I also still think people dying cause they are too far from their food, sounds more like a player skill problem than a game design one.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#37 2018-06-08 01:28:35

Muddauber

Maybe food should be less scarce in the formative years of a tribe. Humans were actually pretty adept at the hunter-gatherer craft, it's when you begin populating an area and farming that people become dependent on those food sources and famines can become a real threat. I think maybe just add more berry bushes and wild food sources, maybe even make berry clusters similar to a vine of grapes, so you could carry more in baskets, let us focus on beating the elements and wildlife like wolves and save more of the famine-related problems for once we've began populating an area.

Basically: Earliest generations gather food.

Next phase: Hunting becomes more common and necessary

Final phase: Farming (and food preservation techniques) becomes necessary for stable food supply.

Last edited by Muddauber (2018-06-08 01:32:25)

#38 2018-06-08 02:02:51

abliss

It happens to me too. I think it would help if the urgency of the chimes (higher pitch, higher frequency) smoothly rose to a "crescendo of death", timed appropriate to your temperature. maybe even make the screen fade to black in the last seconds. Makes it even more dramatic when you're sprinting to a berry bush, and also gives you more reliable clues about when to stop and grab that carrot from your backpack.

#39 2018-06-09 00:39:36

Kally D

pein wrote:

noo, make people collapse that 15 sec, somebody else could lift them up, they couldnt move
if you are noob , you deserve 15 sec all the time, maybe once

the other could be body fat.

you could be a slim, medium or fat character based on how many you nearly starve

a medium character loses fat and collapse but can go further to eat
when you reach thin, you collapse and cant move, somebody needs to help you up, so basically second chance, but you get speed boost, need to overeat a few times to become normal
on fat, you are slower, this should be when you overeat like 50 bars, same collapse, people need to help you up, medium is perfect. fat ladies could have more kids

could be visual indication how hungry someone is

or the negative bar, eating should still matter

Ya I like this one, if you miscalculate you can be saved by someone else, fostering a connection between you and leading to more community.

Board footer