One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-02 00:32:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Lag spikes?

Wondering if people are still experiencing collective lag from time to time.

This is lag that is not just affecting you, but where multiple strangers in the same village agree inside the game that there is lag.

If this is happening, I'm wondering if the servers aren't doing well during peak times.  Linode is showing 80% CPU at peak on server1, especially toward the end of the week as the map fills up.  I'm wondering if this is too much, and maybe the player cap needs to be turned down a bit.

Before I would do that, I guess I'd want to get back in and run some profiling again to see if there's a few more hotspots that can be fixed.  There are some things that have changed in the server code that might cause greater CPU usage (the update messages are being formatted per player that receives them with unique per-player coordinates, when they used to be formatted in a batch for all players just once with the same coordinates).  Those changes went live on May 4, though, and I don't see a substantial rise in CPU immediately after that.  I do see a gradual rise throughout the month of May, but then again, the player base grew a bit this month, so maybe that's it?  Maybe peak player population is getting gradually higher, day by day.

#2 2018-06-02 00:45:46

Akraticist

Re: Lag spikes?

Personally experiencing more lag (longer response time when clicking to pick up an object, some bouncing) in last the couple weeks (I felt this way before reading this post), but I haven't seen anyone else in game type "lag", so it could just be me.

#3 2018-06-02 00:46:41

YAHG

I get the lag, it isn't that bug you talk about. It bounces but my command does get issued in the end. I seen people bouncing
around running crazily impossibly fast but it is always other people not me teleporting.

I actually got the squiggly edge of loaded area thing outside of zoom-mod. Didn't see an update on the github
but it seems like it was just overwritting my exe everytime I tried to run it zoomed out.

Being able to see what is around is nice even if it clips.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-06-02 00:51:22

sc0rp

I've already sent you a replay yesterday, when lag was really bad - up to a point, that map did not fetch properly while walking.  That was extreme and lag issues were reported also by other players in game.  From time to time I experience less severe instances of lag - like "bouncing" twice or thrice before picking up an item. And it seems to persist during particular game.  It happens "sometimes", maybe 5 to 10% of games.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-02 00:53:13)

Board footer