One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-06-01 02:44:45

karltown_veteran

Re: How to learn the game as a new player?

CIB wrote:

I just bought this game today, and played for around one hour.. My experiences varied between spawning as a baby, not being fed and dying, and spawning as an Eve, having no idea what to do, spawning a lot of babies, and dying with them.

I feel that the game severely lacks an in-game help, as without looking it up on the internet, I couldn't even figure out how to eat something (clicking myself isn't *that* obvious..). But beyond that, there aren't really any instructions as to what to do. If you spawn as a baby, you can't ask for help because you can only write one letter, and even if you're not abandoned you will likely die. If you spawn as an Eve, you basically have to create a town all by yourself, and without instructions, this is pretty much impossible.

So, basically, does this come down to having to read a guide on the internet and get an in-depth understanding of the game's mechanics and metagame, before even being able to play it at all? I mean, I'm not opposed to steep learning curves, I play roguelikes and Dwarf Fortress, but this is a bit much.

Any pointers as to how to get started, maybe without having to read a book's worth of instructions before being able to play the game at all?

I watched a lot of introductory YouTube videos before I bought the game, so I knew enough to survive and help with the basics of farming. I don’t remember much about my first games, mostly that I stood near the farm and picked carrots and planted seeds, and then said goodbye when my time came.
Then again, I was new back when the game was easier. It might be harder now to start off. I would suggest playing as an Eve, not keeping any babies just experimenting close to some bushes.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

Board footer