One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-07 02:29:32

katastic

Let's talk about "lag."

I tried custom server, and used server10. I was the only one on the server. And still, it would lag my connection out. Much less so, but still around. On main servers, it can become insanely high.

- 8 core AMD FX-8370, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060, 4K screen. Playing 1080p Windowed. Windows 10 64-bit. nVidia and Windows drivers up-to-date. 65 MB internet connection that can play Rocket League / PUBG / et al without problems.

I've now died countless times because my character clicked on something, and then begins replaying the animation over and over and over.

Clues:

-> Talking still works. I've literally asked people to force feed me and saved my life.

-> Everyone else still moves! Animals still move. Milkweed still grows and changes shape.

Want proof? Check out this nasty log:

PLAYER_UPDATE with heldOrVal=0, heldOrx=0, heldOry=0, pX=-226, pY=452, heldTransSrcID=-1, holdingString=0
    Reached dest -212.760000 seconds early
    Playing a held pending message
    Got length 106 message
    PU
    18759 350 0 0 102 255 235 0 102 255 -1 0.24 1 0 102 254 16.23 60.00 3.75 199;201;0;203;200;198 0 0 -1
    #

-212 seconds early? That's a command occurring THREE AND A HALF MINUTES later than expected. In a game where food kills you within minutes, that basically bricks the game for you. That is, if you're lucky enough to not be eaten by a bear or wolf.

The only thing that makes my system ... possibly... unique? Would be I let the game auto-patch instead of re-downloading. So perhaps my game (patched) is getting out-of-sync with the server code (built from scratch)?

Now, there's no way I've got a latency of 212 seconds. So this has to be a netcode issue. I don't know your netcode, Jason, but the fact I can't move (but an animation plays), yet everyone else is still moving sounds like a message queue for my input to the server is full or blocked, while the INPUT from the server is running just fine (as well as the OUTPUT from every other client that isn't frozen TO the server). Maybe some deadlock issue? I don't know, I didn't write the code.

#2 2018-03-07 02:50:44

xoomorg

Re: Let's talk about "lag."

This has happened a few times to me as well (no familiarity with the logs but will now poke around) though one time I found that talking seemed to get me un-stuck.  But otherwise I was stuck in a loop repeating the same animation over and over, and couldn't otherwise interact.  If talking did indeed have an impact in that case (and wasn't just a coincidence of timing or wishful thinking on my part) then maybe that is a clue?  Shouldn't just be regular lag if that's it.. it really might be something getting "stuck" and replaying until interrupted, blocking other communications?  I believe all this code is C++ which I haven't looked at since college (mostly Java here, various scripting languages) and I haven't looked at it either.

#3 2018-03-07 02:58:17

ned

The most lag that I've encountered has been waiting a few seconds for my command to be followed. Sometimes my character will disappear from the screen and catch back up, but its nothing close to what you've been experiencing. Most of the time, connection interruptions are barely perceptible for me.

This coming from a guy with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8G RAM. 30Mbps internet connection.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#4 2018-03-07 10:11:36

Phate

I'm more concerned with the invisible people, you can see them pick stuff up, and you can hear them, but i still don't know if they can hear me
when I talk to them.  Its weird moving into a town as an old man bringing a cart of stuff, and you aren't sure if the people even know you
came to help.

#5 2018-03-07 14:28:05

robinson

Interesting analysis.

I also died a couple of times in a "berry-picking loop" and mentioned it in my first feedback. I hope Jason is monitoring this issue somehow to analyse how many players are affected.

However frustrating this might be, we could just considere it as an unfair death by nature, like a desease might kill us in real life for no reason. Maybe it would be even possible to implement it this way as a quick fix - if you die while the connection is broken, you could get "heartattac" as reason of death...

#6 2018-03-07 16:49:02

Omenpapa

Phate wrote:

I'm more concerned with the invisible people, you can see them pick stuff up, and you can hear them, but i still don't know if they can hear me
when I talk to them.  Its weird moving into a town as an old man bringing a cart of stuff, and you aren't sure if the people even know you
came to help.

They can hear you, but you dont see their resposes, just like howe their model is invisible the text too. At least, once a guy was talking to me, claiming im invisible to him etc(was moving around baskets, what he was able to see).

#7 2018-03-07 16:59:03

Zeromus

Lag hasn't been a problem for me since the 60 person cap on each server.  However, the invisible people has been a real problem.

#8 2018-03-07 17:51:07

secondchild

robinson wrote:

However frustrating this might be, we could just considere it as an unfair death by nature, like a desease might kill us in real life for no reason. Maybe it would be even possible to implement it this way as a quick fix - if you die while the connection is broken, you could get "heartattac" as reason of death...

I've been calling it dancing plague (see). Sometimes it can be "cured" if someone picks you up (if you're small enough) or feeds you food.

#9 2018-03-07 20:00:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This isn't actually lag, but instead a server-side bug that I'm in the process of tracking down and fixing.

I've been calling it the "bouncing forever" bug.  It's a hard one to catch, because it involves some kind of interplay between client and server.

I've recently received some recording files that show this bug in action, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's going on.

#10 2018-03-08 09:26:17

Phate

Omenpapa wrote:
Phate wrote:

came to help.

They can hear you, but you dont see their resposes, just like howe their model is invisible the text too. At least, once a guy was talking to me, claiming im invisible to him etc(was moving around baskets, what he was able to see).

Thanks for the confirmation, I usually tell them "I can't see you and I can't see your responses, but ..."
and go ahead and tell them stuff as if they could hear me, glad to know it wasn't for not.

#11 2018-03-08 09:27:21

Phate

jasonrohrer wrote:

This isn't actually lag, but instead a server-side bug that I'm in the process of tracking down and fixing.

I've been calling it the "bouncing forever" bug.  It's a hard one to catch, because it involves some kind of interplay between client and server.

I've recently received some recording files that show this bug in action, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's going on.

Thanks for the update!
Any info about the invisible player thing?  Its like ghosts man, scary stuff, lol.

Board footer