One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-07 08:02:55

Phate

Make eating too much food kill you (+1 all that agree)

We had about 30 plots of carrots.  Two full rows were for seeds.
Had a nice family going, then I gave birth to the hell spawn.
He ate every single basket carrot then all the ones in the field,
back to back until nothing was left.  When told to stop, he continued.
Unfortunately, someone ran off with the arrow so our bow was useless.
But we demand a patch that kills you if you eat too much. 

Something like if you eat 10 in a row, you die.  This will at least buy you time
to get the gear you need to kill them.  This all happened in less than a couple
minutes, several generations in a huge town lost just for the lols.

+1 if you agree eating too much should kill you and NEEDS to be patched soon.

(I'd like to note, just because it hasn't happened to yet, IT WILL, so have some empathy with your +1 and stop this type of trollery before it becomes rampant)
(Edit - 25 people read it, and no one cares? Did all 25 of the trolls read this? Not sure why no +1 responses)

Last edited by Phate (2018-03-07 10:08:19)

#2 2018-03-07 12:03:34

lesslucid

Re: Make eating too much food kill you (+1 all that agree)

I think hostile behaviour is OK as part of the game, and part of the puzzle of playing the game is to work out what the best responses are. Selfish and greedy people exist in reality, too. 

However, there probably should be a limit on how much you can physically eat and how quickly. A thriving community shouldn't be able to be reduced to starving to death because one person went on a spree for 30 seconds.

#3 2018-03-07 12:35:19

Doctor Flintrock

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=229
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=257
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=267
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=217

There are already several threads about this very thing. Limits on food consumption seem pretty pointless for a number of reasons (why should overeating kill you when you've spent most of your life naked and running barefoot and eating one kind of vegetable? It smacks of band aid videogame logic to a balancing issue.)

The real solution at the moment is what some of the community members have been offering whenever frustration happens: players need to come together and use what they're given without the game's assistance (i.e., the tech tree climb will have to be interrupted because now you must make a bow and arrow, and one person needs to have this bow and arrow at all times and effectively be useless.)

None of the above is really practical, so maybe the real answer is either the boring one (overeating limit), or something interesting requiring players to work together to restrain/kill a troll.
(It could be anything, guard dogs, stones as projectiles/melee weapons used by several players, lock and key storage... )

#4 2018-03-07 13:39:42

Matok

Doctor Flintrock wrote:

There are already several threads about this very thing. Limits on food consumption seem pretty pointless for a number of reasons (why should overeating kill you when you've spent most of your life naked and running barefoot and eating one kind of vegetable? It smacks of band aid videogame logic to a balancing issue.)

The real solution at the moment is what some of the community members have been offering whenever frustration happens: players need to come together and use what they're given without the game's assistance (i.e., the tech tree climb will have to be interrupted because now you must make a bow and arrow, and one person needs to have this bow and arrow at all times and effectively be useless.)

None of the above is really practical, so maybe the real answer is either the boring one (overeating limit), or something interesting requiring players to work together to restrain/kill a troll.
(It could be anything, guard dogs, stones as projectiles/melee weapons used by several players, lock and key storage... )

Limit on food consumption absolutely makes sense. A person can't eat an entire pantry of food in one sitting. It's physically impossible.

Also, a troll should have to work at trolling just as hard as others have to work at stopping them. Why should they get a free ride to wipe out an entire group on their own in half a minute almost effortlessly? If they want to steal and hide all the food somewhere to cause a famine, great, more power to them, but they'll have to work at it and not get caught. If they're a dumb thief, they'll get caught and all their stolen goods will get taken back. At least that way, the group has a way to recover from it and it is much more interesting gameplay than "Oh, someone deleted all the food again. Oh well, start over."

Letting someone just go around and delete all the food and forcing someone to stand there for an hour watching for that behavior, that's what is boring.

#5 2018-03-07 13:44:03

Twinsen

Doctor Flintrock wrote:

...requiring players to work together to restrain/kill a troll...

Trolls are exactly looking for reaction; if you leave them alone or what we have here where we just go poof without any satisfication, then eventually the killing may become boring eventually. I just encounter one with bow who probably seeks the thrill exactly because I was looking for him/her. I found him/her get back to the settlement eating a few carrots after killing several members, I stole the arrow but I eventually run out of food myself and die anyway.

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-07 13:45:31)

#6 2018-03-07 13:46:42

Twinsen

There is another occasion where a guy running around with an the bow and arrow and have been killing villagers constantly. My mom said to him "why don't you just shoot me" "go ahead" and he replied, "I have killed 20 today already, hehe"

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-07 13:46:49)

#7 2018-03-07 13:49:20

Twinsen

It feels like the only solution to troll is just kill or be killed; I, however, look forward to a better solution considered that the troll will be blooded and do it again once got caught because it's exciting.

#8 2018-03-07 14:05:42

Doctor Flintrock

I already posted this somewhere else, but requiring two arrow shots to kill one player, or one arrow shot with a certain chance to injure them and slowly kill a player, seem like good solutions. It also "makes sense" (killing someone with bow and arrow really would require several tries if you don't pierce a major organ, and even then, there's a slow death). More importantly, bow and arrow thing would feel balanced because you would need a backpack + arrows, which are significant resource costs.

Not sure about knives. Having them break after killing several people seems arbitrary; but the way combat works right now it's hard to imagine another solution unless a new recipe/game feature is added.

(And like, all of these are very cause-and-effect solutions [especially the overeating thing]. Other ideas could involve violent players being paired with each other somewhere entirely far away from players who don't engage in overeating and violence, frequently at least; with maybe some small little clue about what's happening to them because of their bad behavior.)

#9 2018-03-07 14:33:42

Matok

You know, I think that the real problem with both the gluttony and the murdering is that there's just no warning, and by that I mean that there's no way to see a sign that something bad is about to happen.

You only know someone is killing if you happen to be on screen and are paying pretty close attention, otherwise bones are just bones, most people figure the other person probably starved. I've heard some suggestions of a scream when someone gets killed vs starving, I think it's a great idea because it wouldn't save everyone, but would alert a group that something's up and let them react to it in some way.

So the gluttony thing... yeah I think it's just a stupid thing to allow. I'm sure the number of times a single person walked into a tribal camp, ate all the food in a minute, and walked out through history is exactly zero. However, the number of times a group of bandits showed up, pillaged a camp, and took off with food and valuables is actually very high, and that's what I'd like to see happening. Not some 6 year old eating everything.

You can't tell that a 6 year old is planning on wiping out the camp by eating everything. But if you saw a group of people show up with knives and arrows, and one of them is pulling an empty cart around with them, that looks like a raid about to happen.

Don't try to tell me that dealing with 6 year olds eating all the food is more interesting then dealing with raiders attacking the village.

#10 2018-03-07 14:53:43

johnnyburninator

+1. I agree with death by gluttony. It has a weaker case for in-game logic, but a very satisfying natural consequence for griefers who try it. Maybe play the "starving" noise as a warning when you hit an "overfull limit" (an adult's worth of boxes above your max), and kill when you hit it again. Apply this only when food is eaten by the player. I think a slight bias in the mechanics against malicious players is fair game. https://youtu.be/HJZPzQESq_0?t=8

Or, I would also agree with a limit on eating if you are "overfull." This has a better in-game logic, but is more neutral toward the griefers. This should also have an audible warning.

Last edited by johnnyburninator (2018-03-07 15:17:51)

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#11 2018-03-07 20:29:00

Phate

Doctor Flintrock wrote:

In real life, if you ate that many carrots in a row in as many seconds, you could probably actually die from it.  I know you can die from drinking too much water for example.
We had a bow, somehow the arrow was missing, don't know how but it was gone.  I don't think its boring to make them die from over eating, its realistic, and at least
if there was a limit, it would buy the town time to try to make a solution to the problem, whereas in two minutes you got to have a ton of luck to make a knife or
bow and arrow if you can't find yours.  But adding guard dogs so that your own kids don't over eat seems like a ton of wasted coding time.  Perhaps easier weapons, but that
will just lead to more random trolling, so the easy fix is make them die from over eating, because no one eats 80 carrots on purpose in a row for game progression reasons.

Last edited by Phate (2018-03-07 20:29:46)

#12 2018-03-07 20:36:12

Phate

Doctor Flintrock wrote:

I already posted this somewhere else, but requiring two arrow shots to kill one player, or one arrow shot with a certain chance to injure them and slowly kill a player, seem like good solutions. It also "makes sense" (killing someone with bow and arrow really would require several tries if you don't pierce a major organ, and even then, there's a slow death). More importantly, bow and arrow thing would feel balanced because you would need a backpack + arrows, which are significant resource costs.

Not sure about knives. Having them break after killing several people seems arbitrary; but the way combat works right now it's hard to imagine another solution unless a new recipe/game feature is added.

(And like, all of these are very cause-and-effect solutions [especially the overeating thing]. Other ideas could involve violent players being paired with each other somewhere entirely far away from players who don't engage in overeating and violence, frequently at least; with maybe some small little clue about what's happening to them because of their bad behavior.)

I think I saw your posts about the multi arrow solution, and I'm on board with that.  Because its just too quick, you are dead before you know what happened.
I always look at a corpse and see if it has an arrow in it, and if so, start looking around to find out where it came from. 
If you constantly move, they can't knife you or shoot an arrow at you.  But if you stop moving they will get you.
But that is what makes it so easy for them, people are focused working in a field are all lined up and not expecting to flee
at the drop of a hat like that.

Also, I think the knife should only decay after X amount of human attack uses, whereas using it on animals provides no decay.
Although in some ways it just might mean more knives in the world, but at least more people might be armed in towns.

And since there is no way to know a player's name in game, and no way to exactly flag a grief attack, that last solution wouldn't work, however, if there was a
way to do this, it would be great to send all the griefers to their own server to live out their days.  They want that type of life, they can have that type of life.
And maybe an easier temp solution would be an option for PvP on or OFF on the settings options, so that people that would rather not deal with that can
play on those servers.  But without the over eating killing you, they will just use that tactic, or perhaps leading bears into towns or what other evil methods
they can come up with, but for now, it seems like those 2 things are effecting the people that play to advance.

#13 2018-03-07 20:38:28

Phate

johnnyburninator wrote:

+1. I agree with death by gluttony. It has a weaker case for in-game logic, but a very satisfying natural consequence for griefers who try it. Maybe play the "starving" noise as a warning when you hit an "overfull limit" (an adult's worth of boxes above your max), and kill when you hit it again. Apply this only when food is eaten by the player. I think a slight bias in the mechanics against malicious players is fair game. https://youtu.be/HJZPzQESq_0?t=8

Or, I would also agree with a limit on eating if you are "overfull." This has a better in-game logic, but is more neutral toward the griefers. This should also have an audible warning.

That's probably fine too, except you get hungry so fast, it will only slow them down by one second just about.
But it does need an audible warning either way, especially if it could kill you, because accidents do happen.
But over eating isn't like just eating a huge meal when you are barely hungry, it should be eating X amount of
extra calories in just a few seconds time sort of thing.  I needs balance that's for sure, but without some check
to the system, its just going to keep happening, and it could be fixed easily.

#14 2018-03-07 20:40:55

katastic

I like anything that has a self-limiting nature.

So absolute +1 to food limits

Note: It doesn't have to __kill you__. <-----------

In Space Station 13, being "overfed" means you: Move slower, vomit up extra food, and/or simply cannot feed more. (Message says "You absolutely cannot stuff any more food down your throat.")

Also, constantly overeating actually makes you fat in SS13. Which would be a cool mechanic to add to the game. People who don't eat enough constantly will get thinner, and people who OVER EAT will get fatter. Also, it means people who are constantly over-eating SHOW UP TO OTHER PLAYERS which means people will immediately notice glutteneous players who are a threat to the village/tribe! That's probably a real-world societal / evolutionary reaction!

Last edited by katastic (2018-03-07 20:41:45)

#15 2018-03-07 22:28:40

Matok

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Have a second hidden food bar, call it the 'over eating' bar if you want, but player can't see it. It only fills up with the excess beyond what your normal food bar can carry. It decays back to 0 a lot faster than your main food bar, which means anyone who normally only eats when they're actually hungry will never be at risk of this hidden bar filling up. Even if you eat food when you're only sorta hungry wouldn't hurt you.

If they do fill up the hidden bar, you could display a warning, maybe, though I have a feeling that there shouldn't be one to avoid them gaming the system. Like, you'd really have to be intentionally stuffing your face as fast as possible to trigger this. But, if you ate something else within a few seconds of filling the over eating bar, you'd die, cause of death 'over eating'.

They know what happened to them and why. The game didn't force them to stop and give them a 'you can't do that' message, it was totally their choice to continue and suffer the consequences.

#16 2018-03-08 09:12:55

Phate

katastic wrote:

I like anything that has a self-limiting nature.

So absolute +1 to food limits

Note: It doesn't have to __kill you__. <-----------

In Space Station 13, being "overfed" means you: Move slower, vomit up extra food, and/or simply cannot feed more. (Message says "You absolutely cannot stuff any more food down your throat.")

Also, constantly overeating actually makes you fat in SS13. Which would be a cool mechanic to add to the game. People who don't eat enough constantly will get thinner, and people who OVER EAT will get fatter. Also, it means people who are constantly over-eating SHOW UP TO OTHER PLAYERS which means people will immediately notice glutteneous players who are a threat to the village/tribe! That's probably a real-world societal / evolutionary reaction!

That's not a bad idea either, maybe even better than death.  Because if there is a limit, they will just find it out, and keep eating, maybe even secretly carrying away baskets this way,
bringing them back empty.  I mean sure passers-by often do that when things are rough, steal a few carrots.  But yeah if you over eat, the problem is a few seconds later, you are
hungry again, so I don't know how you could totally balance it without it being a tactic normal players use or something, unless like you said, you did a de-buff effect, thats not bad.

#17 2018-03-08 09:15:01

Phate

Matok wrote:

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Have a second hidden food bar, call it the 'over eating' bar if you want, but player can't see it. It only fills up with the excess beyond what your normal food bar can carry. It decays back to 0 a lot faster than your main food bar, which means anyone who normally only eats when they're actually hungry will never be at risk of this hidden bar filling up. Even if you eat food when you're only sorta hungry wouldn't hurt you.

If they do fill up the hidden bar, you could display a warning, maybe, though I have a feeling that there shouldn't be one to avoid them gaming the system. Like, you'd really have to be intentionally stuffing your face as fast as possible to trigger this. But, if you ate something else within a few seconds of filling the over eating bar, you'd die, cause of death 'over eating'.

They know what happened to them and why. The game didn't force them to stop and give them a 'you can't do that' message, it was totally their choice to continue and suffer the consequences.

This is a good idea too, its common for people to eat a berry when in transit while having other food with them to save the better food for the journey's end.
So it shouldn't effect the normal players at all, I think maybe the lack of an indicator that you are over eating is even better, that way they don't know what the
limit is and just push the envelope, eating however often they can absolutely get away with when doing this.

Good idea!

I like hearing everyone's responses, some good suggestions I think!

Board footer