One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-07 04:14:23

Laura

Ghosttown

I sadly see that when i was reborn in a City or place i was before ...
It becomes a ghosttown ...
All People dead, no Food, waste of stuff ...
Big Citys! With a lof of stuff but ... such a mess.

It really makes me sad.
Perhaps we never grow up.

#2 2018-03-07 05:13:12

evan.woods

Re: Ghosttown

I know what you mean! It's sad, especially when you're all alone there at first, and then it's all going so well when you die. And then, an hour or so later, it's all gone. (Sorry, I'm venting!)

For instance, I take charge of the farming, put away massive stores of carrots, and have the seed to growing ratio just right. And, yet, somehow, it all collapses some time after I'm gone. Perhaps people have too many kids? Or they follow the stupid "leave-the-last-carrot" rule and deplete all of their food stores as they wait for carrots to seed, even though I explain that it's mathematically irresponsible to farm that way.

I did manage to get back there in a subsequent life and resurrect the town again; I realized that what I was working on was a satellite for the largest collection of buildings I have yet seen in the game. It was to the north. Sometime during my first life in that little outpost, the larger town collapsed. I should have realized this when no one came for the carrots anymore. Anyway, in the second life, I added some dozen new plots of food production and exploited water resources to the east that had gone untapped in the rest of the farm. It's probably a ghost town now.

Anyway, I really think that some of the towns I have been in and have resurrected can sustain way more people than they've in fact been able to. Folks are screwing up somewhere along the line. My guess is that there are too many people who don't do anything to pull their weight in the community, and just eat the resources.

I had better stop; I'm sounding like my father.

#3 2018-03-07 07:12:18

lesslucid

What if we assumed that every community that we built was going to collapse? Rather than building on the assumption that it can somehow be kept going forever, what if we designed it with the idea in mind that it will collapse, but it should be possible to resurrect it, too? 

For example... building a surplus of carrots is no guarantee of a village's survival. A few noobs can easily eat through those in a short space of time and then wander off. But what if you build a large reservoir of carrot *seeds*? Rather than going for a farm that only-just produces enough seeds to restock its farms, why not have an excess of seed rows, so that every generation you make it through, you end up with a larger and larger seed surplus? Then, when a wanderer arrives in your dead village, they can replant everything quickly and easily...

#4 2018-03-07 09:31:20

Puppycat

You know what is more sad? Being the last one there, an old woman or a young man. It happened to me lots of times, people have to many kids, I go searching for seeds cause everyone is just freaking out about it, I find them and some berries to survive, went back, all dead or left. Im the last one in that place and I cant have more kids, I know I will die but I just keep doing stuff, trying to do something useful to whoever find that place. So yeah, if you see a ghost town and only a corpse, most of times fully dressed, that was the last one.

#5 2018-03-07 12:05:19

lesslucid

Just had another idea... what if we used bones as a kind of "trail of breadcrumbs" leading out from big cities and villages? That way, it increases the chance that random wanderers will get the city back to working and ensure all that work doesn't go wasted...

#6 2018-03-07 12:18:31

hawklander

i think that we could build a kind of pylon network using adobe walls and towers with the walls pointing in the direction of either another pylon or towards to the settlement as pile of bones in the wilderness is pretty common, while an adobe structure would stand out. but we would have to make it so people know that it is meant to be a pylon and not a partially constructed house.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
                   Builder, Explorer, Farmer and was eaten by a bear.

#7 2018-03-07 12:24:22

ameliewilde

lesslucid wrote:

Just had another idea... what if we used bones as a kind of "trail of breadcrumbs" leading out from big cities and villages? That way, it increases the chance that random wanderers will get the city back to working and ensure all that work doesn't go wasted...

I think its a great idea.

lesslucid wrote:

What if we assumed that every community that we built was going to collapse? Rather than building on the assumption that it can somehow be kept going forever, what if we designed it with the idea in mind that it will collapse, but it should be possible to resurrect it, too?

I wanted to say this too. It is not always that the village failed, but players basically logged off the game and there weren't anyone to run the village, which is nothing but normal. I try to build my settlements in a way that it is easy to pick up where I'm left of. As long as there are extra carrot seeds, water pouches and milkweeds, it should be possible to revive any village. It is actually my favorite way of playing the game, just walking around until I find a ghost town and improving it. The only deal breaker is a town without water source, which is bound to be pillaged and the soils to be carried to a better position.

#8 2018-03-07 15:00:08

deBeerlax

lesslucid wrote:

This times 100 million.

I've been lucky to not experience trolls killing people on purpose. What I have seen over the last week of playing is poor set ups to sustain the next generation. Its all about seeds! (Do seeds disappear from the basket?) A decent set up for just carrots I've tried to spread is: water stockpile (pouches are the best) on the left side of the dirt, harvest on top, seed baskets bottom row with the entire bottom row of dirt for growing seeds to sustain and spread the wealth to neighbors. I've seen left side column to let carrots go to seed work just fine for a smaller farm as well. STOP WITH THE SINGLE CARROT TO SEED THAT ROW. It's way too much time to wait.

I think trade routes need to be established and maintained in order for us to progress in tech as well as exploration. I'm gonna try to play on server3 exclusively (just learned how to choose)... I'm ready to do something else besides farm for an entire lifetime. Repeating myself is getting tiring. I just hope new players check out these forums.

#9 2018-03-07 17:58:27

xoomorg

I am planning to relocate all farms to be next to the water.  Not "near" the water -- directly next to it.  Farms grow just fine in wetlands.  Having the ponds within eyesight elimates the need to store/transport water pouches or clay bowls in volume.  It also allows the farmers to monitor water usage more directly, preventing them from being drained or misdirected.

#10 2018-03-07 18:56:22

evan.woods

xoomorg wrote:

I am planning to relocate all farms to be next to the water.  Not "near" the water -- directly next to it.  Farms grow just fine in wetlands.  Having the ponds within eyesight elimates the need to store/transport water pouches or clay bowls in volume.  It also allows the farmers to monitor water usage more directly, preventing them from being drained or misdirected.

Exactly. Did this today as an Eve with a child and a cart we found. There must be several dozen plots of land, and a dozen and a half milkweed growing, now.

#11 2018-03-07 19:38:18

Laura

Hey guys, i am back big_smile
Wow, you speak so fantastic englisch haha i´m very sorry, i´m from Germany and my englisch is
"not the yellow from the egg" or just ... shitty, i hope you understand me <3

Yes, i do the same! When i found a small or big town i try to make everything nice.
Collect Seeds.
Farm.
Clean the mess up!
Make baskets and put 3 sticks in it or carrots so that we have more space.
And then i die. Alone.
But perhaps other Players can restart and grow smile

#12 2018-03-07 21:45:01

Zodzby

I had better stop; I'm sounding like my father.

Your father was right.

#13 2018-03-08 01:42:39

deBeerlax

xoomorg wrote:

This is great. It acts as water storage as well. How many does it hold, 4 or 5? Dirt mounds hold 5 by the way. I stockpiled a dirt hole next to my carrot and milkweed farm before I died.

Board footer