One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-23 22:39:58

BionicSandwich

A Look Into Inbreeding coefficients

Over the time I have been here, I have seen Jason post on multiple discussions that he was avoiding marriage and procreation because of the problem of incest, among other reasons.
Recently I was thinking about inbreeding coefficients(don't ask why), and I realized that it could somewhat negate that point(depending on what Jason thinks).

If you don't know what an inbreeding coefficient is, It is a value between 1 and 0 that is used to describe how biologically related 2 people are. if you want more information on how it is calculated, Here is the Wikipedia page

The funny thing is, in adding the family tree, Jason gave us a way to calculate the inbreeding coefficients of any two people shown on the family tree, based off of their shown biological relationship(Mother--son, Aunt--nephew, etc.).

as a general rule, Each person in your lineage that separates you and someone else decreases the inbreeding coefficient by a factor of 2. so you-->your mom is a coefficient of .5

Now, back to the topic of incest. In most countries, there are laws in place that prevent people with an inbreeding coefficient of .25 or higher from marrying, so .25 will be the minimum for it to be considered incest.

what this means is you need at least 5 people separating you and the person you want to marry, in order for it to not be incest.

considering that some lineages go on for 30+ generations, there is most likely enough people separating you and the one you want to marry for it to not be incest.

#2 2018-05-24 00:09:59

Potjeh

Re: A Look Into Inbreeding coefficients

Look at the shape of family trees, though. Single woman bottlenecks are very frequent.

#3 2018-05-24 01:38:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

My dear sister, you and I represent our tribe's only hope!

Blue Lagoon, here we come.

Actually, I don't think incest was my main concern when I avoided simulation of mating.  I just didn't want this to be a game about consent.  Male characters chasing female characters around, cartoon boners poking out from under loincloths, etc.

#4 2018-05-24 01:45:10

Stankysteve

Potjeh wrote:

Look at the shape of family trees, though. Single woman bottlenecks are very frequent.

And incredibly frustrating in all stages of development, and decay in society. You find a good spot, you work hard, you raise a generation or two, and no females. Father type relationships are nice in this game but I feel like a marriage factor would make this problem even worse. Maybe you do finally get that female to keep the genes alive. And that's all you get - you've got the lock, but now you need the key. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

#5 2018-05-24 03:42:51

YAHG

Stankysteve wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

And incredibly frustrating in all stages of development, and decay in society. You find a good spot, you work hard, you raise a generation or two, and no females. Father type relationships are nice in this game but I feel like a marriage factor would make this problem even worse. Maybe you do finally get that female to keep the genes alive. And that's all you get - you've got the lock, but now you need the key. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

For me it can be more funny when you try to make babi your whole life. Your village is doing well but no childrens.. You die.

You pick get reborn... Update big_smile...

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#6 2018-05-24 07:22:27

Aurora Aurora

jasonrohrer wrote:

cartoon boners poking out from under loincloths, etc.

Id pay good money to see that in game

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#7 2018-05-24 07:46:19

YAHG

Aurora Aurora wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Just wear a sealskin coat with no pants as a man..

Wang it out and about, I am SURE it will increase the local birthrate wink

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#8 2018-05-24 07:56:00

breezeknight

so the actual problem is the lack of female babies if needed to keep the lineage alive

IRL there is the solution of adoption, maybe we should rather go that way, would work even better than IRL since in OHOL there is no genetics & all people look the same anyway

also, i think, weeks ago someone suggested the call for an Eve if a lineage is in danger to die out
i think, those bell towers would be of more use, if utilized this way

at the bell tower the last descendants could bring an offering to evoke an Eve to spawn, which then would be born into that exact family, so with that last name already
if there is no player available atm to spawn immediately, then an Eve would spawn later, first when available, maybe even already after everybody's dead from that lineage

but then oc, if i was that Eve, the lineage would still die out lol

edit
there is also the nice myth of cabbage babies
i would like to have that in the game, would be surely quite fun smile

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-05-24 08:00:26)

#9 2018-05-24 09:39:15

Aurora Aurora

YAHG wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Just wear a sealskin coat with no pants as a man..

Wang it out and about, I am SURE it will increase the local birthrate wink

I’d fuck a man who walked around like that. I’d be his damn bitch

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#10 2018-05-24 15:08:21

YAHG

Aurora Aurora wrote:
YAHG wrote:

*snip*

I’d fuck a man who walked around like that. I’d be his damn bitch

<3 You are so romantic

Board footer