One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-04 12:54:23

Doctor Flintrock

Have you encountered Human Trolls?

I feel like the community for this game is cozy enough that someone reading this may have run into a certain someone who says "Leeroy Jenkins" a whole lot, and doesn't seem to do much of anything other than eat all the food (but not all at once). The worst seed I ever spawned.

Or the time a balding man came into the village and started to eat all the carrots and doomed everyone.

Or the time my baby knocked twice on Yogi The Bear's door and got me killed via telepathic bear lag attack.

Someone once stabbed me and I found that very funny. Because you don't expect to die by knife in this game.

There was the time my mother shot another Eve with bow and arrow. I had just been birthed and had no idea if there was a history between them of if my mother was a psychotic killer.

(I'm not entirely innocent. I've done the bear thing once because one of my children would not shut up and I was in a bad mood. We both died. I am also sometimes cruel and give babies instructions that will certainly get them killed. Like making them run in a certain direction, which they do obediently and with loving trust.)

More of this will definitely happen as players become more comfortable and too familiar with some of the game stuff. God help us.

#2 2018-03-04 13:11:36

yvanhooe

Re: Have you encountered Human Trolls?

I think it is no random chance that Jason released the game at a point when one can build secured closed rooms and have bows and knives to kill badly behaving people.

#3 2018-03-04 13:48:09

Twinsen

I got murdered by knife, that's all. Haven't met a jerk who ate all the food though.

Frankly, for the bear thing, I only like doing that for suicide; but there is once that I didn't realize my mom who left me would walk the same path before I die.

Jason let us build walls so that we could prevent raiders.

#4 2018-03-04 13:58:34

TyrantNomad

I have stabbed a lot of babbies, and a few adult players - but I really think it's kind of necessary at some point.
I've had people raising babbies left and right when the carrot farms are empty and dry, and the berry bushes within a 2 minute radius no longer carry a single berry.

Some players feel like it's mean to just kill them or let them die... but you are actually dooming and ruining everyone's work by raising too many goddamn kids.

Haven't really met full-on troll players, though - the bow and arrow are easy enough to craft that you might be able to kill them easily.

#5 2018-03-04 15:48:03

Twinsen

Before I left the BB die, I always said sorry no food.

#6 2018-03-04 15:57:32

Norgg

TyrantNomad wrote:

Some players feel like it's mean to just kill them

Spoken like a true villain.

#7 2018-03-04 17:15:52

Matok

Just met someone who came in and was eating everything in sight, wiping out the carrot fields that were being held back for seeds. Honestly feel like when you're full you shouldn't be able to keep shoveling food down to curb that behavior a bit because they can destroy a food reserve that took quite a while to build up in a matter of seconds, but yeah the bow&arrow or knife is the player solution to that "problem". Too bad we didn't have either available.

#8 2018-03-05 02:43:16

Doctor Flintrock

I read the replies, and the thought that a villager will need to be assigned to guard duty because of wandering bears and the carrot eating man (who is a prime candidate for a mythical story to scare the village children) is going to make Chief duties so much more stressful.

#9 2018-03-05 02:47:10

TyrantNomad

Doctor Flintrock wrote:

I read the replies, and the thought that a villager will need to be assigned to guard duty because of wandering bears and the carrot eating man (who is a prime candidate for a mythical story to scare the village children) is going to make Chief duties so much more stressful.

Looks like it's only a few people doing it at this point - not really worthy of a full-time position.
I personally think that all steel-age villages should have a knife either way - but a single bow can also fix it.

But it would be better if we were able to knock them out and tie them up or something, so they don't just respawn somewhere.
They'd have to sit there and watch their character grow old tied up, while the villagers feed them every so often.

#10 2018-03-05 08:29:28

DaughterOfEve

TyrantNomad wrote:

But it would be better if we were able to knock them out and tie them up or something, so they don't just respawn somewhere.
They'd have to sit there and watch their character grow old tied up, while the villagers feed them every so often.

Hitting them on the head with a round stone or something and rendering them stunned for as long as it takes to move them seems like a kinder option than cold blooded murder, agreed.

#11 2018-03-05 17:18:41

Matok

I think that captured players may just log out instead of spending time tied to a tree, so the end result is the same, they end up dead. Might as well just shoot them.

In a game like this, I don't really have a problem with trolling, just a problem with effortless trolling. Allowing someone to basically delete all the food in a village in less than a minute leaves you with no real recourse. Damage is already done, even if you kill them for it in their mind they've already won. If instead they had to steal and run off with the food because it was too much for them to physically eat, that creates a new emergent game play where you try to hunt down the thieves to find out where they're stashing your stolen goods to recover them. A good thief won't get caught, a bad one will.

Don't eliminate trolling, just make sure it takes just as much effort to be a troll as it takes to do anything else.

Last edited by Matok (2018-03-05 17:53:38)

#12 2018-03-07 14:58:31

johnnyburninator

Matok wrote:

Don't eliminate trolling, just make sure it takes just as much effort to be a troll as it takes to do anything else.

I think this is a really great way to say it.

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#13 2018-03-07 18:28:28

xoomorg

johnnyburninator wrote:
Matok wrote:

I think this is a really great way to say it.

I second this.  I had been talking elsewhere about "balance" and I think this way of putting it captures that point quite well.

#14 2018-03-07 18:43:59

riverfastflowing

Matok wrote:

If instead they had to steal and run off with the food because it was too much for them to physically eat, that creates a new emergent game play where you try to hunt down the thieves to find out where they're stashing your stolen goods to recover them. A good thief won't get caught, a bad one will.

A couple of days ago, I was born to an Eve whose first words to me were "SHHHH." Not that that helped much, but apparently she was stealing CARTLOADS of carrots from a nearby village and moving them not too far away. (Why no one noticed is beyond me.) Knowing how difficult it is to get from farming carrots to building carts, a part of me was scandalized by what my mother was doing, but I threw myself into the role play and found it quite...thrilling to be the child of a reckless and shameless thief. Did I feel bad about what we did? Yes, definitely. But it was nice to experience a different way of playing the game as well.

(That said, I might have been the only one role playing. When I asked my mother why she was stealing, she replied that that was her only way of surviving since she was new to the game.)

Last edited by riverfastflowing (2018-03-07 18:44:43)

#15 2018-03-07 19:03:42

secondchild

I support the idea of leaving trolling, but making it hard work. It wouldn't be like the real world if there weren't jerks, but you should have to put some effort in. If it were more like that, I could imagine throwing myself into helping a troll mom wreak havoc. It's not what I'd normally do, but I'd help someone who is working hard at something.

If things advance to the point where there are competing lineages, a saboteur class (ie, trolls working on behalf of another lineage) might arise.

#16 2018-03-07 20:45:35

Phate

secondchild wrote:

I support the idea of leaving trolling, but making it hard work. It wouldn't be like the real world if there weren't jerks, but you should have to put some effort in. If it were more like that, I could imagine throwing myself into helping a troll mom wreak havoc. It's not what I'd normally do, but I'd help someone who is working hard at something.

If things advance to the point where there are competing lineages, a saboteur class (ie, trolls working on behalf of another lineage) might arise.

Working hard at destruction is barely working at all.

#17 2018-03-07 20:48:33

Matok

riverfastflowing wrote:

A couple of days ago, I was born to an Eve whose first words to me were "SHHHH." Not that that helped much, but apparently she was stealing CARTLOADS of carrots from a nearby village and moving them not too far away. (Why no one noticed is beyond me.) Knowing how difficult it is to get from farming carrots to building carts, a part of me was scandalized by what my mother was doing, but I threw myself into the role play and found it quite...thrilling to be the child of a reckless and shameless thief. Did I feel bad about what we did? Yes, definitely. But it was nice to experience a different way of playing the game as well.

(That said, I might have been the only one role playing. When I asked my mother why she was stealing, she replied that that was her only way of surviving since she was new to the game.)

That's awesome, and makes some real world sense too. If a kid was raised by parents that stole to get by, they'd probably figure that's just how the world works, and you're supposed to steal what other's have. See, things like that are interesting because of the emergent game play that comes of it.

I have to say, if I was raised by a bandit mom once, I'd probably roll with it just to have some fun.

Board footer