One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-07 19:06:15

moleshow

Does milkweed actually regrow?

I've noticed that milkweed is extremely difficult to cultivate. According to the forums, picking it while fruiting will cause the plant to regrow, but I've never seen it happen myself. So I looked it up in the recipe list, and it's true that the fruiting debris leaves behind a #fertile stump, but then the fertile stump has this recipe: -1 Seconds + Milkweed Stump#Fertile = Milkweed

What does -1 seconds mean? Has the recipe been disabled?

#2 2018-03-07 19:09:51

Uncle Gus

Re: Does milkweed actually regrow?

It regrows if you pick it when it is fruiting.

-1 means "one epoch" or 60 minutes.

Last edited by Uncle Gus (2018-03-07 19:10:43)

#3 2018-03-07 19:12:48

ned

I promise it regrows. I've seen stumps come back up that were harvested before I was born.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#4 2018-03-07 19:14:27

moleshow

Uncle Gus wrote:

-1 means "one epoch" or 60 minutes.

well that would explain why I've never seen it happen

#5 2018-03-07 19:38:17

EaterOfBerries

A related question:

Do milkweed plants that have been incorrectly harvested ever go away? Or are we stuck with permanent reminders of our failure as a species?

#6 2018-03-07 19:40:27

Uncle Gus

The stump fades.

#7 2018-03-07 19:46:34

xoomorg

Also note that MANY people are mistaken about which stage is the fruiting stage.  I've seen plenty of people pick the milkweed when it is FLOWERING, not FRUITING.  So often, even people who think they're doing it correctly are not.  (Not implying that's the case with anybody here, just pointing out that it's an issue.)

#8 2018-03-07 20:01:02

Zednosius

Uncle Gus wrote:

The stump fades.

ONLY if you pick it when it is not fruiting. If you pick it when it IS fruiting, it will regrow after one epoch (60min).

edit: lol, I misread, gus knows what's up smile

Last edited by Zednosius (2018-03-07 20:02:04)

#9 2018-03-07 20:20:18

moleshow

looks like infertile milkweed stumps fade after a minute, so having a bunch of stumps is a good sign

#10 2018-03-07 20:38:36

Matok

xoomorg wrote:

Also note that MANY people are mistaken about which stage is the fruiting stage.  I've seen plenty of people pick the milkweed when it is FLOWERING, not FRUITING.  So often, even people who think they're doing it correctly are not.  (Not implying that's the case with anybody here, just pointing out that it's an issue.)

Yeah, I called someone out on this yesterday saying to only pick it when it is fruiting, and they said 'I did'.

Then I spent the next couple minutes trying to explain to them in 2 to 4 word sentences why they were wrong while they were running all over the place doing things.

Don't think the message got across.

#11 2018-03-07 20:44:48

katastic

---> Fruiting stage could DEFINITELY use a better graphic. It's too obscure (and also, too short of a period!). People mistakenly click all the time because the flowering stage is the most "obvious" or "intuitive". But also, fruiting vs normal looks very similiar (fruiting is just a little more yellow).

- That's hard for people with color blindness, or difficulty seeing, and also new players.

I do think Milkweed should be more forgiving. ONE dumb player can ruin the entire biome for the town. I logged into an empty server and HAD NO IDEA there were so many milkweed normally around! That means the game mechanics are counter-intuitive / flawed for Milkweed because "adding more" would simply just mean "more are accidentally destroyed" instead of "increasing milkweed production."

I would rather just reduce the total number, but make them like berry bushes that never go away. That way you can still cultivate them, but they're not super-aggro-grief targets AND super-easy-accidental-click targets.

I can't count the amount of times I've accidentally clicked a milkweed that CHANGED as I was walking to it (or doing the Lag Dance).

Last edited by katastic (2018-03-07 20:46:26)

#12 2018-03-07 20:52:15

Uncle Gus

It literally has a name when you mouse over it. It says "FRUITING MILKWEED". That's how we know what it's called. It's not that hard to learn the difference and you only need to learn it once. The young stage has only leaves, the flowering stage is the only animated one (it has a butterfly) and the fruiting stage has big bulbs on it.

#13 2018-03-07 20:59:14

Matok

The plant is a bit fragile. On paper having resources that can get completely wiped out due to carelessness sounds good and I really like the idea. I think the problem is you can very easily unintentionally cause massive damage to these plants in an area and there's no 'you did a bad thing' feedback to the players who are not trying to cause problems. As far as they can tell, they touched the plant, they got something they needed. All is good.

And it isn't that the plants themselves are getting destroyed, you can pull as many seeds as you want off of a fruiting one and use them to restore a garden. Keeping seed stores can go a long way towards keeping areas from getting completely wiped out from people accidentally touching the plants wrong. No, it's the soil they were planted in that is forever lost. That's pretty damaging.

I'm torn plant care difficulty. I like the idea of being able to carelessly destroy a biome, but I feel that if it's too easy for that to happen then the game won't be much of a game. You'll spawn and have to run for half your life to a new area just to play, and be starting from scratch all the time.

#14 2018-03-07 21:09:14

Uncle Gus

Soil is renewable though, with compost, so it's not a total loss. It's more of an incovenience, especially on server 2 where there are whole swathes of land with no milkweed. You need to journey a long way to find seeds and return them.

The milkweed shortage is the worst problem that we have, so in general, it's not so bad. We just need to learn as a species how to look after the land, and we are doing that.

Actually what's worse than killing milkweed is overtrapping rabbits. They never come back.

#15 2018-03-09 05:26:33

teanah

Yep.

Only pick it when fruiting, it regrows and you can get extra seeds too.

One little town I was born in had an epic milkweed farm that an old lady had inherited from a previous generation. It was glorious, everyone had clothes.

I yell "ONLY PICK FRUITING MILKWEED" as soon as a new baby pops out. Lol. word will catch on eventually.

Board footer