One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-06 23:52:57

Sboy24

Death Suggestion _Ode to my son

I built such strong ties with my son and daughter, in particular my son.
Taught him everything he knew, seemed like a very new player.
With only a few years left my final request was to have some duck for my last meal.
My son was excited to use his recently taught recipe to craft fire.
As he was frantically starting this fire my life was depleting rather quickly. As I reached for a carrot next to the fire he was starting, I was not fast enough and lost my life.

Suggestion:
Would have loved to spectate my sons reaction here. Even if it were for 10-15 seconds or so.
We were having such a good time with the role playing element that I'm absolutely certain he was heartbroken, lol.
So basically, post death spectate mode would be fantastic.

#2 2018-03-06 23:54:36

Uncle Gus

Re: Death Suggestion _Ode to my son

Yeah, I think if instead of a black screen, it could be partially transparent. I would love to see people's reactions and parting words, too.

#3 2018-03-07 01:03:55

secondchild

I was just thinking about this earlier today. What if you could watch for a while in ghost mode. Maybe it fades to black over a minute with a button to skip?

#4 2018-03-07 09:14:22

PastaFasta55

I find death quite fitting the way it is.
It's sudden and instant, you don't get to see what comes after because you're not alive past the moment you die.
If you've ever seen the ending of the movie Gallipoli you know what I mean.

#5 2018-03-07 09:31:30

wextia

Yes! I would love for something like this to be in the game! Lots of cool stories could be told thanks to this simple feature. Another way of looking at it could be that the character falls ill or becomes incapable of moving at the age of 59, and gives the player a minute to say goodbye to their sons.

#6 2018-03-07 09:32:01

Tebe

And yet there are so many accounts in the real world of near-death experiences in which people witness what's going on around their unconscious body, floating above much like our top-down view of the game world.

So why not? There's no reason it isn't realistic. I don't always need to watch what's going on afterward, but I have to say, I have had some deaths I would have loved to spectate after. The time I offered to gather carrot seeds for an ailing farm as an aging man. A young farmer gave me her backpack, but made me promise i would bring it back. I did.

I loaded it and a basket with berries, rabbit meat, and a carrot from the dwindling stores, and set out for the prairies.

They were drained of wild carrots, so I continued. On and on. Growing older. Wondering if anyone was still alive in town. Going through my food, struggling to find wildberries.

eventually I came across a prairie with a few wild carrot flowers. I filled my bag and basket and set back toward home at a full sprint. At this point I was ancient, wrinkled, but no worse for wear. I was out of food by the time I reached home.

I sprinted to the farm, old and hunched and pantsless, my backpack full of seeds, and died while through the empty rows. I glimpsed that people were still alive there, though the farm was in bad shape.

The woman who loaned me her bag was there to see my return and my promise hilariously kept, and oh man I would have loved to watch a minute a or two after such a colorful homecoming.

#7 2018-03-07 10:10:20

Phate

+1 - 10 to 20 seconds of ghost form would be nice

#8 2018-03-07 14:31:05

robinson

+1

#9 2018-03-07 15:00:56

johnnyburninator

I like the idea of a post-death fade out. But I can see PastaFasta55's point, too.

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#10 2018-03-07 17:48:26

draequine

I think dying of old age should have a post-death fade out to reinforce the whole heritage thing with this game.

#11 2018-03-07 19:27:04

coderone

If you die of old age, you see nothing but whispers of people around you as you slowly die @ 10 seconds ? Starvation would be much faster as you use your last bit of energy trying to eat @ 5 seconds ? Murder = 0 seconds.

Board footer