One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-06 04:17:30

xoomorg

Gathering Women?

Real-world political implications aside, I'm wondering if (within the context of game mechanics) it might make sense to gather all females of breeding age in the same location.  Sure there'd still be the occasional Wild Eve, but once births are (mostly) centralized it should be easier to manage large-scale support and educational systems -- and to perpetuate the cycle by training all female children to be "birth mothers" for some duration.  Once past breeding age (the babies DO stop spawning around me, don't they?!) these Elder Matriarchs can participate in the larger-scale projects to advance civilization, since they'd be living in the very heart of it.  So it'd be fun to play both sexes, exploring and building and farming and such (as a male) or spreading the flame of knowledge to a new generation and acting as the village memory and de facto government (as a female.)

#2 2018-03-06 10:54:51

Norgg

Re: Gathering Women?

This post is super creepy and also would just mean everyone would die.

In an established village it's already naturally happening that new mothers (or other caretakers) and children gather round the fire and pass on wisdom. Trying to get everyone on a server in one place would lead to very rapid collapse at the moment.

Last edited by Norgg (2018-03-06 10:55:20)

#3 2018-03-06 11:09:42

Phate

What would happen is you would have mass starvation in minutes.  One mom can and usually will produce ten babies on average, with about a third maybe
being female if you are lucky.  But just having two moms giving birth at the same time can put a huge dent in even the biggest carrot piles.  What i often do when I have my first
one is leave the town for a bit and live on the wild berry bushes a few screens away.  As the first one gets hair, I get them to take a berry and go back home as the second
one is being born.  I spend most my adult life having babies until I can't anymore, then I come home to a well balanced farm most of the time.  And I can use my golden years
to gather anything thats lacking or pass on any advice to the youngins i didn't while raising them.

#4 2018-03-06 16:49:29

xoomorg

Norgg I agree it's super creepy if you think about it in real-world terms.  So I'm trying not to do that.  Basically, just in terms of game mechanics, we have a situation where new players (usually) spawn near other players of "Type X" and so if we want to control where spawning happens, we should control the location of Type X players.  That centralizes spawning and allows for more controlled introduction of new players into the world.

Phate, I'm thinking Bigger Picture here.  This would be a massive restructuring of society, from the current collection of disconnected villages and/or random wanderers, many (most?) babies starving before they're even a year old, many players toiling away trying to rebuild whatever abandoned farm they happened to spawn near, desperately hoping for female children so they can carry on, etc -- to one where there is a central "heart" to the civilization, with growth spreading out from there.

Remember -- increasing average lifespan (by reducing child deaths) should significantly reduce the birth rate.  Every birth is a player.. it's not unlimited.

The entire point of society would be to provide resources (food, wood for fire, quality clothing) to the Birth Mothers, who would gather together in one location and dedicate themselves to nursing spawned children -- and educating them, deciding where they should send them after childhood (if male) or teaching them how to be a Birth Mother (if female) and (eventually) working on longer-term projects to help civilization advance and grow.  Once they're past breeding age and become Elder Matriarchs, females could venture out into the world and observe how things are going (so they can report back to the Birth Mothers about which jobs need new players) or plan for the future.  The Birthing Mothers would not just spend time explaining The Laws / Tenets to children but could also discuss amongst themselves plans for the future, the state of the world, reports back from wandering Elder Matriarchs, etc.

Structurally, I envision some central location (doesn't matter where.. no resources are produced there except new humans... badlands would even be fine) where all the Birth Mothers gather, raise children, and then send the males out into the world either North, South, East or West to outlying villages, each dedicated to some kind of work (e.g. farming, hunting, clothing, etc.)  The villages send resources back to the Birth Mothers, so they never have to do anything other than raise the young.

Also bear in mind that the Birth Mothers would essentially control reproduction, and could (by choosing which babies to let starve) control the ratio of male-to-female.  It's also FAR more efficient for mothers to simply nurse their children (even after they can feed themselves) since they only lose food when picking up a baby (holding a baby keeps the child's food meter full, with no additional loss to the mother) which is a lot better than constantly putting the baby down and picking it back up (or worse -- shuffling between multiple babies) so that the mother can also try to be a farmer (or some other job) at the same time.

If properly implemented, I DON'T think this would lead to starvation.  Quite the opposite.  I think by taking control of the reproductive/spawning process instead of letting it be essentially random, civilization can organize itself better, reduce child mortality, and put a stop to (most) players having to wander the wilderness looking for abandoned villages to (often futilely) attempt to revive.

#5 2018-03-07 19:22:53

coderone

Here comes one troll, wipes entire server pop in 3 minutes. Has anyone created TNT yet ?

Last edited by coderone (2018-03-07 19:23:46)

#6 2018-03-07 19:44:11

xoomorg

coderone wrote:

Here comes one troll, wipes entire server pop in 3 minutes. Has anyone created TNT yet ?

...except that the guards stop them!  With only one central location to protect for births, guarding is easier than ever.

#7 2018-03-07 19:51:08

Uncle Gus

You forget that if your scheme works, and everyone is born in the same place, then the troll is born there too.

#8 2018-03-07 21:11:12

xoomorg

Uncle Gus wrote:

You forget that if your scheme works, and everyone is born in the same place, then the troll is born there too.

I don't forget that, I just don't know that that makes anything worse.  I suppose you have a point though, in that by centralizing everything we create a more inviting target for the trolls.  But that's an argument against centralizing rather than an argument against controlling births.  Controlling births in the manner I describe will indeed result in centralization... but ANYTHING that centralizes things will have vulnerability to trolls.  That's something worth figuring out...

#9 2019-02-10 02:24:05

1happyperson

Wow. That's a really interesting idea. Xoomorg, one of the things I would be worried about (if people somehow managed to get themselves together and establish this sort of civilization) is that because of the specific roles for each gender, people will probably prefer one gender over another, leading to mass suicides among babies until they get their preferred gender. Because women have a cool down period between each kid, I would be afraid that they would grow old before producing enough babies. If most people want to be guys, they will suicide until they get to be guys, making the births of females who are actually willing to be female, and contribute to the community, few and far between, leading to a drop in birth mothers who will replace their own moms after they grow old, and there will be less people overall. If most want to be girls, there will be too many moms having more kids than they community can support. People will suicide to be girls, and there won't be enough boys in the outer villages producing goods to bring to the moms, and the other villages that don't produce that specific thing. Sorry that I'm spiraling smile I am a very organized person, and so many villages that I am spawned into are very hectic, which as you can imagine makes me VERY annoyed. smile So I like this idea because of how structured it is. Apologies for the rambling. I tend to do that a lot!

Last edited by 1happyperson (2019-02-10 02:25:51)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" -Eleanor Roosevelt

#10 2019-02-10 02:59:28

antking:]#

xoomorg wrote:
Uncle Gus wrote:

I don't forget that, I just don't know that that makes anything worse.  I suppose you have a point though, in that by centralizing everything we create a more inviting target for the trolls.  But that's an argument against centralizing rather than an argument against controlling births.  Controlling births in the manner I describe will indeed result in centralization... but ANYTHING that centralizes things will have vulnerability to trolls.  That's something worth figuring out...

That's true if everything is in the same place then its easier to topple, like a building if you have multiple individual columns its more likely to withstand an earth quake then one column! and with multiple columns the building will stand even if a few are nocked out of place!

on the other hand, having a lot of small columns mean that they are easy to topple, so it might take more destruction, to bring the building down, it would be easy to topple the columns! which is where one large column might prevail! because if a troll tried to kill some eves or what ever they will probably get caught by all the children running around! the only way I can see this failing if all the eves were in an enclosed structure, or their is not enough food to go around....

but this congregation of women hasn't happened yet so we do not know for curtain what might happen! the only way is to let it play out if this ever happened!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#11 2019-02-10 03:02:45

Booklat1

xoomorg wrote:
coderone wrote:

...except that the guards stop them!  With only one central location to protect for births, guarding is easier than ever.

"guarding"

i HOPE this guy is trolling

#12 2019-02-10 03:17:04

Tarr
Banned

Why are we necroing a nearly year old thread guys?

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-02-10 13:22:24

1happyperson

Because we think that it's interesting!

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" -Eleanor Roosevelt

#14 2019-02-10 15:11:44

Nepumuk

no u

I am Eve Speed.

#15 2019-02-10 18:54:00

GreatShawn

Tarr wrote:

Why are we necroing a nearly year old thread guys?

Because stalin told us to.

Board footer