One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-02 19:53:03

FeignedSanity

My idea about being unable to be reborn into your lineage.

So I was discussing in another thread about a possible karma system when I mentioned this. It was a side comment I wanted to get out of the way and clarified that it is just my personal opinion about the game. I did not intend to suggest it as an actual mechanic.

Well Jason has apparently taken interest and that topic has now pretty much dominated that thread and it's gotten way off topic. I figured I'd make this thread so the discussion could continue without taking away from the original about a karma system based on servers.

So here we go, a lot of ideas have been discussed about the pros and cons, and about still leaving some way that you could be reborn into your lineage (Jason still seems to be against this).

I know some people will hate this idea, but surprisingly, a lot of people seem to love it. So I recommend we leave that one to it's original intention and redirect it to this one. Again, just a thought.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2018-05-02 20:06:38

YAHG

Re: My idea about being unable to be reborn into your lineage.

I think like 2 hour cool-down is fine, but other wise city is just gonna get choked out. You end up with the same
problem we had with worm composting, it is forced decay mechanism.

Last time you were in a nice town, how many lives in total do you think lived there?

Then think how many unique players there are in a whole over a 24 hour period (to see city so not server wiped)

The longer the cool-down timer you have the more camps you split people in-between.

I think 2 hour is good because it serves the purpose of not being able to re-meet people as well as makes suicide
for old town not work. If they log out and play later that is fine.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-05-02 20:28:26

Shialac

Not enough players.

#4 2018-05-02 20:32:05

kubassa
Banned

YAHG wrote:

Then think how many unique players there are in a whole over a 24 hour period (to see city so not server wiped)

The longer the cool-down timer you have the more camps you split people in-between.

Splitting up a player base is never a good idea for any game. It tends to kill the game. Plenty of data to support that. If a dead game is what a small majority wants then it's easily achievable by splitting up the player base. Then when you are on you own server all by yourself what exactly are you going to do? Will you have fun? It's not like there is 100k people playing the game filling up all the servers.

My opinion is the game is fine right now. You want someone dead you kill them. Big deal. So what they come back. QQ. Kill them again and again if you have to. Creating a system segregating and punishing people will have no affect on griefing. You can pull all milkweed at the wrong time, cut down all green trees for 500 tiles every direction, steal tools others are using, and much more devastating things you can do to grief. Most times it's the griefer running around stabbing everyone calling the person they stabbed the griefer.

I got huge ballz.

#5 2018-05-02 20:46:03

YAHG

kubassa wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Splitting up a player base is never a good idea for any game. It tends to kill the game. Plenty of data to support that. If a dead game is what a small majority wants then it's easily achievable by splitting up the player base. Then when you are on you own server all by yourself what exactly are you going to do? Will you have fun? It's not like there is 100k people playing the game filling up all the servers.

My opinion is the game is fine right now. You want someone dead you kill them. Big deal. So what they come back. QQ. Kill them again and again if you have to. Creating a system segregating and punishing people will have no affect on griefing. You can pull all milkweed at the wrong time, cut down all green trees for 500 tiles every direction, steal tools others are using, and much more devastating things you can do to grief. Most times it's the griefer running around stabbing everyone calling the person they stabbed the griefer.

Lol all true, it still would be nice to be able to punish people in ways that mattered in game.

Otherwise it is like the story you told of the abandoned baby that came back and murdered the town wink.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#6 2018-05-02 20:54:28

kubassa
Banned

YAHG wrote:

Otherwise it is like the story you told of the abandoned baby that came back and murdered the town wink.

I would never do that. It was just a story to make people laugh. *cough*

In that example sure that jerk off should go to a separate server for a time out. We can both agree on that YES? I still think the person running around with the knife stabbing said jerk off's should also receive some sort of penalty. How many have they already accused of something and stabbed them? Maybe hes a bit of a griefer too. If murder is making simps/wimps and crybabies QQ so much then anyone that kills should be sent to the dunce server. It might be a much more fun one to be in anyway then a tender loving 'libtard/SJW' server. A 'HARDCORE' server.... hells yes.

P.S.
It would be funny to see a statistics board for murder that day....

Last edited by kubassa (2018-05-02 21:03:57)

I got huge ballz.

#7 2018-05-02 21:31:59

YAHG

Maybe not a separate server just a separate family would be alright.
After all hunting down your old family to have your vengeance for your murder sounds COOL AS BALLS..

I know it is too long for you to read, but trust me all the proof reading and the formatting took me MUCH longer.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1406

Also murderer record would be cool thing to track.. smile

#8 2018-05-02 21:32:06

Lum

But then again, why should you receive a penalty for something that is allowed by the game? Shouldn't it be fixed, rather than just blaming the player?

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#9 2018-05-02 23:53:54

FeignedSanity

YAHG wrote:

I think like 2 hour cool-down is fine, but other wise city is just gonna get choked out. You end up with the same
problem we had with worm composting, it is forced decay mechanism.

Last time you were in a nice town, how many lives in total do you think lived there?

I think 2 hour is good because it serves the purpose of not being able to re-meet people as well as makes suicide
for old town not work. If they log out and play later that is fine.

I don't know, I see your concerns about there not being enough unique players and I originally had the same concern. However, Jason has posted some data and numbers in the official, unofficial version of this post (cause it's not about the servers being used to manage karma anymore). And with the data backing I think it's at least plausible. I'm honestly kind of surprised by his numbers, I figured things to be far lower. Also I'm of the opinion of a city not lasting forever isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I also think the whole "log out and play later" isn't really fine. One, you're just abusing the system again, but that's not really a big deal. The bigger thing is that I feel like it's incentivising you to not play, just because "you can't go back to your old city" right now. I feel like that kind of screws over the rest of the player base that might need the kids. I get it, I do, I just feel like it'd do more harm than good. Although I think a generational cool-down is more interesting. Something that isn't predetermined and isn't as easy to game. I still don't like it, but I think it's better.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-05-02 23:55:45)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#10 2018-05-07 13:06:52

Roolstar

If getting killed punishes you, then it's not about griefing anymore, this is a PVP game now.
If getting killed gets you on a lower ranking server, this is a PVP game now.
If however you have 1 HP, It's a stupid PVP game. And I'd rather play a fair and balanced one like LOL or HOTS.

If not dying of old age punishes you, why volunteer to cross the desert and find more seeds? Why care for any child and put yourself at risk? Why sacrifice yourself when you have 3 mn to live and see a food shortage with 1 fertile women remaining? (As you should) Why even fight the girefer and not go for another green biome and forage for a while, waiting for someone else to try to deal with problem and then come back?
And then you realize that killing someone doesn't reward you, but getting killed punishes you; So it's a Lose or Nothing situation.
>Cringe.jpg

Murder right now is the least effective form of griefing, implement the "karma" system, and now it's THE MOST SATISFYING ONE: Stab someone, watch them rage while dying, and know they are banned for 2 hours from returning to the colony they built. A griefer's wish come true.

Oh and best of all, grief as much as you can, and if people are unto you, just start running in any direction, starve yourself, come back = Karma avoided.

Karma will punish 3 innocents for every griefer.
Karma is the worst idea I've heard so far.

GG

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-05-07 21:16:30)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

Board footer