One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-06 23:29:14

Uncle Gus

More high risk/high reward tasks would give males a greater purpose

It has been said in the gender wars thread that traditionally, men are the more disposable gender. Men go to wars and do dangerous jobs, etc. So perhaps what this game is missing is more high risk/high reward tasks for males to do. War isn't really a thing in this game, so I'm definitely not suggesting that. But one such idea is mining. Perhaps the last use transition, instead of giving a stone, could actually kill the player. And if there was less iron ore spawning on the ground, and more in the mines themselves, it would become more necessary to send men down the mineshaft for the sake of the settlement.

#2 2018-05-06 23:37:14

YAHG

Re: More high risk/high reward tasks would give males a greater purpose

Maybe more dangerous hunting with knives, killing bears or perhaps Mammoths (I know they are extinct and this is rebuilding civilization game). Would be cool if there was more interesting ways to hunt than snare rabbit if it has kids.

If there was some cool way to hunt that worked better with larger teams of people.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-05-06 23:53:29

breezeknight

lol

males could also as well make music or paint caves or do sculptures or do crazy inventions

same as women facing in OHOL often an abundance of babies which leads to famine & mass starvation could do dangerous stuff

one doesn't need to go all the very old & very traditional way, isn't it ? wink

i hope not every man playing OHOL is keen on hero death, same as not every woman playing OHOL wants to die making pies tongue

#4 2018-05-07 00:29:15

fragilityh14

the problem with males is that most players arent very good. Males who actually contribute are very useful.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#5 2018-05-07 03:11:05

THExPILLOx

the gender reasoning is pointless in a game that has no difference besides reproduction. i do like the idea of high risk rewards, you mentioned the mining and i kind of like it. Children are disposable(historically high infant mortality and use of children for labor), A village chooses a queen. The queen lives in/near a mine. Her children are taught to mine, She leaves one female child for the legacy and the job, but any beyond the first is fed only on the condition they mine. The legacy child would then be crowned queen. The village farmers keep their queen well fed and cared for so the smiths can provide them with better tools to farm and weapons/defenses to defend. The village thrives until the miner line dies. Their lack of metal means they are soon left vulnerable.

Meanwhile the alternate bloods lines, the smiths, the farmers, the bakers, and the bilden. work to grow and expand the village. This of course would mirror the real world in that a line of people usually continued in the same occupation. We see this in surnames, especially european(i'm sure it is in other languages but i am ignorant of them), like smith, farmer, tailor, bilder(builder), barker, barber, cooke, cooper, etc.

Clearly not feasible at the moment, but hopefully in the future this could play out in a really great cooperative town that could allow us to move out of the primitive age.

EDIT: clarifying the children are disposable line lol

Last edited by THExPILLOx (2018-05-07 03:13:20)

#6 2018-05-07 07:48:31

Baker

THExPILLOx wrote:

the gender reasoning is pointless in a game that has no difference besides reproduction. i do like the idea of high risk rewards, you mentioned the mining and i kind of like it. Children are disposable(historically high infant mortality and use of children for labor), A village chooses a queen. The queen lives in/near a mine. Her children are taught to mine, She leaves one female child for the legacy and the job, but any beyond the first is fed only on the condition they mine. The legacy child would then be crowned queen. The village farmers keep their queen well fed and cared for so the smiths can provide them with better tools to farm and weapons/defenses to defend. The village thrives until the miner line dies. Their lack of metal means they are soon left vulnerable.

Meanwhile the alternate bloods lines, the smiths, the farmers, the bakers, and the bilden. work to grow and expand the village. This of course would mirror the real world in that a line of people usually continued in the same occupation. We see this in surnames, especially european(i'm sure it is in other languages but i am ignorant of them), like smith, farmer, tailor, bilder(builder), barker, barber, cooke, cooper, etc.

Clearly not feasible at the moment, but hopefully in the future this could play out in a really great cooperative town that could allow us to move out of the primitive age.

EDIT: clarifying the children are disposable line lol

It's hard for that to happen because people want to do different things. It's like when I get told to Farm and i'm like "ugh, I hate farming" but someone needs to do it otherwise everyone dies.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2018-05-07 09:28:11

Morti

I really want to say woolly mammoths would be a great addition for multiple men to get together and hunt (can be women too, just not as easy to hold a bow, spear, sling or torch if you're juggling it with a child) but Jason has stated this is not a past scenario, it's a future one.

Something has happened to our world and we are starting over, if there is a story unfolding there we'll learn about it in time, but for now, try and imagine what present day creatures might be capable of filling the role a woolly mammoth once filled 10k - 100k years ago. Dealing with bears in much the same way would be nice. Be nice if they were a little more useful in terms of the hide, meat and bones. Maybe some elephants are still around? If we're far enough in the future, maybe some of the animals are survivors of genetic experiments, zoos and theme parks. When I was a kid they had a lion/tiger hybrid at Cedar Point, what sort of hybrids might we breed in 100, 1000 years? With genetic engineering maybe people combined Rhinos and Elephants? Crocodiles and Turtles?

Maybe some of the nuclear tests done in the deserts of North America have let to the genetic mutation of snakes into Dune worms?

Yeah, I think some giant creatures would be great for us to have to deal with, only problem is, we killed off most of the interesting ones in the past, or, they were long dead before hominids evolved on this planet, like non-avian dinosaurs.

There really is no story, yet, far as I know. So Jason could take this where he wants, when he has the time. We're always down for more content.

#8 2018-05-07 09:59:22

Siolfor the Jackal

Woolly mammoths and stone spears would be excellent. Would need a couple men to surround it so it can't run, then a few spears to kill it. All that meat and fur would be nice.
We could be living in a future where we brought back mammoths from extinction. Easy.

#9 2018-05-07 16:36:58

YAHG

Siolfor the Jackal wrote:

Woolly mammoths and stone spears would be excellent. Would need a couple men to surround it so it can't run, then a few spears to kill it. All that meat and fur would be nice.
We could be living in a future where we brought back mammoths from extinction. Easy.

I don't know what Mammoths ate, like plants but I don't know what kinda plants. I know that at least in the
USA there are LOTS of Elephants in the Zoos. I don't know if they escaped they could survive in the wild?
Expand into higher latitudes..
Growing longer fur might only take a few thousand years.
Large animals like the Bison would likely make a recovery given humans reduced to near extinction. Deer
and Wolves would EASILY be back within 100 years to pre-European arrival levels.
Problem is none of these animals are beyond a single hunter to take down with spear/bow etc.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-05-08 01:06:44

Siolfor the Jackal

I mean, the only rules here are the rules Jason makes up really, could easily use any silly justification for a large animal like a mammoth or hairy evolved elephant.

Board footer