One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-06 16:39:35

sneezinggal

What's with the bell ringing?

This happened twice.I was wandering around and the bell rang.The home sign showed up and pointed south.
Does that mean someone just built a base somewhere south? But there must be many of bases out there so which one should that be referred to?
I tried to keep going south for half an hour yet didn't see any bases or players.

#2 2018-05-06 16:50:50

Anshin

Re: What's with the bell ringing?

When rung, the bell tower sets itself as the home marker for all people on the server who don't have a home marker set. Great for summoning people to your town if you're out of women.

EDIT: How to build a Bell Tower:
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#8 … numentDone

Last edited by Anshin (2018-05-06 16:52:44)

#3 2018-05-07 01:58:49

Thorware

There's no way to tell how far the bell tower is, often it is extremely far away and not reachable in your lifetime, so following the arrow is usually a giant waste of time. Experienced players know this, so they will not follow the bell. Therefore what you will get is a group of inexperienced players heading toward the bell, a few of which might actually be close enough and make it there. Doesn't really offer much hope to a dying town.

I think the bell should only be heard from about a 10 minute walk away, maximum. Then you know you can reach the town in a reasonable amount of time. This is more realistic anyway. Another solution would be to display distance on home arrows.

#4 2018-05-07 04:08:15

sneezinggal

Thorware wrote:

There's no way to tell how far the bell tower is, often it is extremely far away and not reachable in your lifetime, so following the arrow is usually a giant waste of time. Experienced players know this, so they will not follow the bell. Therefore what you will get is a group of inexperienced players heading toward the bell, a few of which might actually be close enough and make it there. Doesn't really offer much hope to a dying town.

I think the bell should only be heard from about a 10 minute walk away, maximum. Then you know you can reach the town in a reasonable amount of time. This is more realistic anyway. Another solution would be to display distance on home arrows.

Yes I agree. There should be a distance limit for the bell to ring. Alright I won't go for the bell next time wink

#5 2018-05-07 21:58:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Distance on the home arrow is a good idea.... though the mystery is cool, so I'm not sure....

It is possible to reach even the farthest bell if you have a baby along the way and then your baby keeps going after you die.

However, the baby will not have your home arrow....  Hopefully, the bell will ring again in your baby's lifetime....

I'll think of a way to make a baby inherit a home marker to the last bell the parent heard before the baby was born....

The idea with the bell is that long-distance pilgrimages are possible, and an interesting aspect of the game.

I've taken a few pilgrimages myself in the game, and they were some of the most interesting stories that I have lived so far.

Board footer