One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-05-02 02:51:42

AliCatGamer

Re: Dissatisfied with OHOL? Try 2HOL

jasonrohrer wrote:

Question:

If someone is messing with you, breaking the rules of your village, how do you deal with them?  Like, if someone picks every carrot and runs off with it and hides it.  And you catch them doing it.  And you tell them to stop.  And they don't stop.  Then what?

That is the only reason that killing is present in OHOL, because I cannot envision how player-generated laws would function without it.

You could implement a reporting and temporary banning system like in other online multi-player games.
I know that's kinda impossible with players being anonymous in game and it's a lot of work for one person but perhaps later down the line?

#27 2018-05-02 06:45:23

Tane

Anyone else having trouble being born in 2HOL?
Ever since yesterday

#28 2018-05-02 08:01:36

Kitaelia

AliCatGamer wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Question:

If someone is messing with you, breaking the rules of your village, how do you deal with them?  Like, if someone picks every carrot and runs off with it and hides it.  And you catch them doing it.  And you tell them to stop.  And they don't stop.  Then what?

That is the only reason that killing is present in OHOL, because I cannot envision how player-generated laws would function without it.

You could implement a reporting and temporary banning system like in other online multi-player games.
I know that's kinda impossible with players being anonymous in game and it's a lot of work for one person but perhaps later down the line?

I'm paraphrasing Jason from this post

Jasonrohrer wrote:

Obviously, this game is not real life.

However, I have to be careful not to build the solution into the game and "solve it for you."
snip
I want you to solve it, in various ways, because that is interesting.  The game is full of problems for you to solve.  That is all it is.  Problems, and their various solutions, make for interesting stories.  Problems are at the heart of drama.

On the other hand, if it's actually impossible for you to solve, that is a huge problem.

I believe adding a reporting and ban system to deal with issues we have with people's behavior within the game world would severely alter the spirit of this game. We (the virtual people in a virtual world) need to develop ideas on how we (the virtual societies) wish to handle people who vandalize, steal, murder, or otherwise mess with us. It IS extremely frustrating and, often times, maddening to be griefed or messed with in such ways, but as time goes on we will have more and more features added that will allow for us to develop in game systems to solve in game problems.

On that note.. I do love the THOL server as well. I like to swap between playstyles, especially when I am frustrated and burnt out with constantly starting over on OHOL, or when I just get tired of the current population's mood/mind set. Server1, Server#(insert whatever random empty live server I pick), and THOL all give me something unique and I love that. smile

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#29 2018-05-02 08:03:07

breezeknight

AliCatGamer wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Question:

a karma system was also suggested

i suggested a guild system

in any case, all those changes are basic, not something that can work while not changing how the game treats players - as interchangeable objects of the very same look & interaction

griefing & murder has no options of consequences in the current state of the game & that's the source of the problems

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-05-02 08:05:21)

#30 2018-05-02 08:05:48

Kitaelia

Tane wrote:

Anyone else having trouble being born in 2HOL?
Ever since yesterday

There was an update on the 2HOL/THOL that requires you to redownload their version of the game so old versions will not work! You can find links to it on their discord in #announcements: https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
I hope this helps smile

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#31 2018-05-02 09:38:49

sammoh

I believe that PVP in current implementation is detrimental to social aspects of the game.
I believe that violence and warfare do not require death. You could "raid" a larger village with a small crew.
Some would call that griefing.

"We can't kill the raiders! GG sammoh"

This would be ignoring the 19 different locks in the game, and built-in security features for other things (bee swarms, camels require bridles to move).

The defenders have the advantage. You can lock the rest of the world out, if you care to.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#32 2018-05-03 15:47:57

Luniatji

Well.. I would like to play on 2hol to see if that's another setting and thus another set of people, but i can't play on it lol. It gives me an "zlib1.dll' error while I can play on the ohol servers.

Is there anything I could do about that? I know I could fix it, but I think it's strange that I didn't get problems on ohol but did have problems on 2hol..

#33 2018-05-03 15:51:30

Drakulon

Luniatji you need a custom client

Verinon1 wrote:

#34 2018-05-03 18:46:07

akoopatroop

No mac version yet. Interested but don't have the time to port it myself.

#35 2018-05-03 18:51:23

akoopatroop

AliCatGamer wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Question:

I like in-game solutions. How about the "murder" weapon takes away your ability to feed yourself? So if you can find someone who will vouch for you and feed you, you're cleared. If not, you have a few seconds (depending on the state of your food bar) to make your case.

If food is scarce and/or people are running off their feet, maybe they won't be able to, but  at least you can tell your story.

But also if the background ethics of a civ building game are that murder is the only way to allow policing, ugh.

#36 2018-05-03 19:34:35

Nubbcakes

jere wrote:

Well, that certainly says something. tongue

How about allowing killing but only if the victim is not revived? The griefer hits you with a club, you are knocked unconscious for let's say 1 minute (your hunger could be sped up if needed), and if you aren't revived you die of starvation. This would still allow killing to happen (and all the emergent stories that go along with it) and going out in the wilderness alone could be a death trap, but staying in a village should offer strength in numbers. As long as you have one adult nearby, you are somewhat safe, but actually the lone griefer puts himself in a lot of risk.

Imagine a modern day serial killer. They don't run into downtown and start stabbing people willy nilly. They plan out their murders very carefully and catch people when they're alone.

Also it gives some time for due process. You can knock someone out and then spend 30s deliberating with others about why they deserved it. If the griefer is the one knocking someone out, perhaps she doesn't have a plausible reason and the village can respond appropriately.

You could have the same mechanism with other weapons like knives by having medicine that heals wounds and eventually guns that kill immediately but are hard to manufacture and load.

i really like this idea, instead of the victim having a bleed out period and just dying. it'd help prevent a lot of the accidental deaths that happen from people simply trying to put down a weapon, too, lol.
the attacker still should have a cooldown, though.

#37 2018-05-04 00:41:56

Verinon1

akoopatroop wrote:

No mac version yet. Interested but don't have the time to port it myself.

There is a Mac version: https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients_mac

#38 2018-05-04 14:10:23

sammoh

Luniatji wrote:

Well.. I would like to play on 2hol to see if that's another setting and thus another set of people, but i can't play on it lol. It gives me an "zlib1.dll' error while I can play on the ohol servers.

Is there anything I could do about that? I know I could fix it, but I think it's strange that I didn't get problems on ohol but did have problems on 2hol..

You need to run OneLife.exe, not EditOneLife.exe.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

Board footer