One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 21:07:05

bread_lord

[guide] Beginner's Guide to Survival, Fire, Farming

I have noticed some new players expressing frustration at being stuck in spawn-death loops and not knowing how to accomplish even simple crafting.  As the core population's mastery of the game increases, these new players may be left behind should their communities not have the desire or patience to teach them the very basics.  As a result, I have drafted a rough guide on the wiki that lightly touches on some core game concepts (including the ever-important lessons of environmental sustainability) and outlines in detail how to progress from nothing to farming.  More advanced topics such as baking and blacksmithing are not covered.

Obviously it goes without saying that one who wishes to experience learning entirely within the social confines of the game would do best to avoid this guide, however I hope some find it helpful.  As mentioned it is still in a relatively unpolished state and while I will do my best to maintain it (especially as new information and content patches are made available) it is of course free to be edited and amended by the community as desired.

https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Starting_Guide

Discord: weasel_bread#2656

#2 2018-03-06 01:58:50

Twinsen

Re: [guide] Beginner's Guide to Survival, Fire, Farming

bread_lord wrote:

...I will do my best to maintain it (especially as new information and content patches are made available) it is of course free to be edited and amended by the community as desired.

A very nice guide indeed but would you please mention more about milkweed? We need to stop people from picking unfruited milkweed.

#3 2018-03-06 04:13:43

Uncle Gus

Twinsen wrote:
bread_lord wrote:

...I will do my best to maintain it (especially as new information and content patches are made available) it is of course free to be edited and amended by the community as desired.

A very nice guide indeed but would you please mention more about milkweed? We need to stop people from picking unfruited milkweed.

This is the number one rule that needs to be absolutely prime because a brand new player can spawn and instantly start picking milkweed. Other damage like killing rabbits or draining ponds take tools but milkweed just needs a click.

#4 2018-03-06 05:12:08

bread_lord

Thank you both for your feedback; I have re-organized the page such that the environmental guidelines are displayed more prominently and have also included images to help players learn what they should be looking for. 

I will continue to tinker with the page (and the wiki as a whole) whenever I can.

#5 2018-03-06 17:32:42

johnnyburninator

The milkweed lifecycle pictures (and others) are really helpful. Thanks!

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#6 2018-03-06 17:43:28

asterlea

In the section under warmth, it doesn't really explain that the ideal temperature is in the middle of the temperature bar. It is possible to get too hot, which is not good either.

#7 2018-03-06 21:16:39

bread_lord

johnnyburninator wrote:

The milkweed lifecycle pictures (and others) are really helpful. Thanks!

Happy to have helped! 

asterlea wrote:

In the section under warmth, it doesn't really explain that the ideal temperature is in the middle of the temperature bar. It is possible to get too hot, which is not good either.

Thank you for pointing this omission out, I have updated the page to clarify.

#8 2018-03-07 02:28:38

Uncle Gus

You should add a link to this guide on the first page of the wiki.

#9 2018-03-07 03:53:11

bread_lord

Uncle Gus wrote:

You should add a link to this guide on the first page of the wiki.

Good call -- the first page was view-only for a while but I see the permissions were changed today to permit editing.  I'll toss a link up there ASAP.

#10 2018-03-07 21:46:52

ameliewilde

I think this post should remain on the first page for a while. It is great information. I created a very similar guide for myself, but more visual. If I get time from playing the game, I can try to draw them digitally and add to the guide. Mostly the crafting recipes in tree form.

#11 2018-03-12 03:21:22

bread_lord

Posting to add that the guide has been updated to include more images.  I have slightly extended the very helpful visual recipe format provided by wiki user Exgrathanor and I hope the result is a slightly more digestible guide that is a little easier to visualize.

#12 2018-03-19 13:32:51

Babsy

Nice work. I have linked your page in the [GUIDE] CARE VS CARELESS - "RULES" (FOR NEWBIES), link: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=584

Board footer