One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-30 22:39:15

Verinon1

Dissatisfied with OHOL? Try 2HOL

Right off the bat, I wanna say that I really respect Jason and the hard work he does. This post is not aiming to shit all over his creation. I simply want to point people in a direction that may hold their interest more (that is, for the folks who may not have heard of 2HOL already).

People have been complaining a lot about the changes to OHOL over the last couple weeks. I myself grew kinda tired of the constant grind in the lower levels of the tech tree and the constant murder, which is why I switched to Two Hours One Life. It’s a modded version of the game, and as such, features a different kind of gameplay than OHOL. Some of you already know about it and some of you may not. Either way, I know we all have a certain love (or love/hate) for OHOL, so if you find yourself abandoning the game because you’re dissatisfied with the changes Jason is making each week BUT you still miss the “good ol days”, I strongly suggest downloading 2HOL. Maybe play on there for a while and check back in with OHOL once in a while to see what new changes Jason has made. Take a breather.

Here’s a quick rundown of some of the differences between the two games:

1. It’s free!
2. Your life lasts until age 120, AKA two hours.
3. Murder is disabled.
4. Apocalypse and the auto map wiping feature are both disabled.
5. Decay is disabled.
6. Eves always spawn at the same coordinates (0,0) every time.
7. Lots and lots of new content, with more being added all the time.
8. Etc, etc...

Here’s the download link:

https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#2 2018-04-30 22:40:01

kubassa
Banned

Re: Dissatisfied with OHOL? Try 2HOL

Go play baby mode.

I got huge ballz.

#3 2018-04-30 23:20:57

Verinon1

Does the mod make the game easier? Sure, a little. But I would hesitate to call it “baby mode”. It’s still a survival game. Hell, I’d go so far as to say it’s closer to what I envisioned OHOL to become when I saw the trailers.

#4 2018-04-30 23:43:18

kubassa
Banned

You might as well enter in your 'GOD MODE' cheat. It sucks. BAWLZ.

I got huge ballz.

#5 2018-05-01 00:40:01

Eve-rlastingGamer

It's true that 2HOL is easier than the original OHOL.  For one, there is no item decay.  Another is Eve's spawn point.

Outside of that, I just enjoy the heck out of it.  I play both OHOL and 2HOL because both give me different things.  First, the different clothing options.  There is also different crafts to make.  It relies heavily on players input (I've got my fingers crossed for potatoes, which might get the okay soonish).

There is still plenty of trolls running around.  Still several things that can go wrong and capsized a city.  Even the expanded time (two hours) can rear up and bite you in the ass.

I especially recommend 2HOL to newbie players.

#6 2018-05-01 01:51:54

sammoh

I will definitely add the noble potato.

2HOL is a community-driven project.
It is an experiment in long term habitation
with an open art submission process.

It sharply diverges from OHOL in significant ways.
It is part nostalgia, part The Castle Doctrine.
A Methuselah story with room to trade and RP.
You cannot kill, but there is conflict.
Greed is punished by the gods.
Faith is rewarded with sandwiches.
The apocalypse is a bank teller.

Yesterday,  a walled village named Murica delivered an aid package of beer to the impoverished Eves in Spawn City to feed their children.

It is not a critique of Jason's work. It is a tribute.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#7 2018-05-01 02:03:13

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Question:

If someone is messing with you, breaking the rules of your village, how do you deal with them?  Like, if someone picks every carrot and runs off with it and hides it.  And you catch them doing it.  And you tell them to stop.  And they don't stop.  Then what?

That is the only reason that killing is present in OHOL, because I cannot envision how player-generated laws would function without it.

#8 2018-05-01 02:11:47

Verinon1

jasonrohrer wrote:

Question:

If someone is messing with you, breaking the rules of your village, how do you deal with them?  Like, if someone picks every carrot and runs off with it and hides it.  And you catch them doing it.  And you tell them to stop.  And they don't stop.  Then what?

That is the only reason that killing is present in OHOL, because I cannot envision how player-generated laws would function without it.

You don’t deal with it. Thankfully, griefing isn’t so much of a problem in 2HOL. Even if someone does grief a town, it’s relatively easy to build it back up, for a variety of reasons.

#9 2018-05-01 02:15:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Griefing isn't a problem yet...

And if a griefer can't do any serious damage, that means that there are no consequences to much of what you are doing, right?  Like, food isn't precious, because it's always easy to get more whenever you need it?  Like, it's impossible to "screw up," either accidentally or on purpose?

#10 2018-05-01 02:30:27

sammoh

jasonrohrer wrote:

Griefing isn't a problem yet...

And if a griefer can't do any serious damage, that means that there are no consequences to much of what you are doing, right?  Like, food isn't precious, because it's always easy to get more whenever you need it?  Like, it's impossible to "screw up," either accidentally or on purpose?

You can screw up. Towns can become deserted. Griefers can grief (I reserve the right to roll the map back at any point). People fail.

But there are other consequences of long term habitation. Garbage piles up. Species go extinct. Those renewable resources end up not being renewable after all.

This doesn't happen in OHOL because of the spiral and map culling. Centering the spawn point creates a "chaotic noob pit" to borrow a term from Colin. The ecological devastation around The Zeroes is something to behold.

#11 2018-05-01 02:37:06

gbear14275

sammoh wrote:

Centering the spawn point creates a "chaotic noob pit" to borrow a term from Colin.

This reminds me of the minecraft server 2b2t spawn point... do you have a lava curtain?

Last edited by gbear14275 (2018-05-01 02:37:30)

I only feed baby's who know the forum password "Q"...

#12 2018-05-01 07:56:01

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This turns out to be a griefer's paradise.  Two glorious hours with no consequences, and no covert operations necessary.  The only thing the victims can do is quit and hope to be reborn far away from the troll in their next life...

#13 2018-05-01 08:20:29

Verinon1

jasonrohrer wrote:

This turns out to be a griefer's paradise.  Two glorious hours with no consequences, and no covert operations necessary.  The only thing the victims can do is quit and hope to be reborn far away from the troll in their next life...

Like I said, griefers aren’t a big problem in 2HOL because players have less to lose. Less to lose means less reason to grief. Trolls have nothing to gain there. In OHOL, it goes like this: “I just killed your last fertile female! Your lineage is forever done and you will never see any of what you all made ever again, and I did it all with one stroke!” In 2HOL, it goes like this: “Oh, you just killed my last fertile female? (EDIT: I just remembered that you can’t murdeer anyone, so you can’t even do this) I’ll just come back here later when you’ve inevitably died and/or gotten bored. You just ruined my crops? I’ll just come back at some point and fix it.” You can recover from a “raid” easier, because you live for two hours and you can recruit strangers (or folks from Discord, if that’s your thing) to join you in whatever you want because almost everyone spawns at 0,0, or at least knows which direction you need to head to get to whatever you’re trying to do.

Last edited by Verinon1 (2018-05-01 10:55:51)

#14 2018-05-01 08:20:32

Drakulon

Jason did you play on the server and came to realize that it is a griefer paradise, or are you just assuming it is?
Because i remember you complaining about people judging your update to fast with out trying it out, and this is a bit ironic isnt it? smile
It might be that people that play on this server have no intention to grief. Certain game mechanics can change how people feel/react.
If you get killed and you feel it was unfair, you might get angry and than start griefing.
If you get griefed from a random guy for no reason, you might get angry and start killing people.

#15 2018-05-01 09:39:44

Inoox

I played on this server before (havent been on the game for a while now) and it was great.

It is true that it is easier yes, but that is the point.

I find with 2HOL you can have your own little project witb no fear of never seeing it again, its just a different take on OHOL.

And to Jason: griefers were never an issue, the server is heavily moderated and even if someone did decide to grieve then the damage they have caused can be quickly rectified.

In a way they are both the same game but with seperate concepts. I feel like 2HOL is a laid back creative mode where you can let your creative side go wild, which is exactly what I look for in building games.

#16 2018-05-01 09:46:57

sammoh

jasonrohrer wrote:

I presume it was you who cut down my tent.
I'll have you know they were meant to be cut down.
And it's already back up.
And I built a distillery in it.
And drank a beer to celebrate it.

So while it is a "griefer's paradise" the damage is limited by how simple some of the mechanics are.
Tents go right back up.
Silk is easy to clone and impossible to get rid of.

People wanted a sense of home, which is what I have given them.
They have named their towns, and return to them perennially.
Some people (like me) hang out in spawn and help the chaotic noob pit.

Others have built wonderful villages that thrive for weeks on end.
Some of these are closed communities that do not raise children or accept outsiders.

It's a matter of taste. I know the community is on you about griefing but it's really not an issue for us.
There will always be a place for people to gather at the center.
And there will always be distant bells ringing, calling you home.

#17 2018-05-01 10:49:18

YAHG

Isn't it good that there is a server of people playing the game the way they want?
Even if some other people don't want to play that way?

Seems like it is all going according to plan..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#18 2018-05-01 10:53:23

Verinon1

sammoh wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I presume it was you who cut down my tent.
I'll have you know they were meant to be cut down.
And it's already back up.
And I built a distillery in it.
And drank a beer to celebrate it.

So while it is a "griefer's paradise" the damage is limited by how simple some of the mechanics are.
Tents go right back up.
Silk is easy to clone and impossible to get rid of.

People wanted a sense of home, which is what I have given them.
They have named their towns, and return to them perennially.
Some people (like me) hang out in spawn and help the chaotic noob pit.

Others have built wonderful villages that thrive for weeks on end.
Some of these are closed communities that do not raise children or accept outsiders.

It's a matter of taste. I know the community is on you about griefing but it's really not an issue for us.
There will always be a place for people to gather at the center.
And there will always be distant bells ringing, calling you home.

Holy shit

#19 2018-05-01 16:58:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Not making assumptions.... I played last night and found it to be a griefer's paradise.  I didn't see any tents being cut down, though.

When players notice a griefer, they are powerless to stop them.  Someone can literally follow you around and mess with you non-stop.  Like, if you're baking pies, they can walk off with all your plates.  If you're trying to load an oven with kindling, they can empty the kindling before you get a chance to light it.  As you're about to plant carrots, they can plant wheat.  They can turn every oven into a kiln, and just when you're about to fire a new plate, they can seal the kiln and make charcoal instead.  Just when you till a row and are ready to plant, they can take the soil away in a basket.  They can walk off with your last carrot seeds, dig up all the remaining wild carrots, cut down every kindling tree.

All this is present in the main game too, of course.  But when a griefer is caught, they are killed.  In 2HOL, I saw people collectively get angry at a griefer and try to kill the griefer with a bow and arrow and a knife, but it didn't work.  So the griefer can keep going for two full hours.

I get how it's easier to recover from the damage, because 0,0 is essentially the center of a giant village that goes for miles (or a network of closely-connected villages), so it would be impossible for a griefer to destroy everything.

And you're right that griefers cannot kill your last fertile female, but they can starve them out.  Even that isn't fatal, of course, because the next Eve spawns at 0,0.

However, the fact that the damage isn't complete or permanent is no comfort to the people who are being annoyed by the griefer in their current life.  A griefer can easily undo the immediate work of multiple people right before their eyes, and all they can do is stand there saying, "Hey, stop it."

#20 2018-05-01 17:11:24

Drakulon

Ok sry my mistake, i dident try it out
I thought since there are no complains there is no griefing, silly me tongue
*hoping jason will not find my recently created thread*

#21 2018-05-01 17:20:54

Eve-rlastingGamer

sammoh wrote:

I will definitely add the noble potato.

2HOL is a community-driven project.
It is an experiment in long term habitation
with an open art submission process.

It sharply diverges from OHOL in significant ways.
It is part nostalgia, part The Castle Doctrine.
A Methuselah story with room to trade and RP.
You cannot kill, but there is conflict.
Greed is punished by the gods.
Faith is rewarded with sandwiches.
The apocalypse is a bank teller.

Yesterday,  a walled village named Murica delivered an aid package of beer to the impoverished Eves in Spawn City to feed their children.

It is not a critique of Jason's work. It is a tribute.

All hail the glorious potato!!

A griefer doesn't really bother me all that much in 2HOL.  As Jason has stated, there are small villages around the city, so moving on isn't really a problem.  I have never been starved out of the game, though one did target me and shout slurs at me.  I found it amusing and joined in, pretending to be whatever it was he called me.  At some point, he started grabbing all the food from me, but since bags are plentiful, I just grabbed some pies.

It really had me dying when he followed me around with a camel telling me he found my toe.

Eventually the griefer got tired of me and my easy going attitude, going on to wreck some other kind of havoc.

The end of the story is that everything just gets rebuilt anyway.  Nobody wants the large city to stay the same forever.  We like that it changes.  It becomes more realistic that way.  How many cities have any of us lived in that hasn't had a few buildings torn down and new ones built up to replace them?  It's just a normal thing anywhere.

Though I suppose one way to punish griefers is by maybe creating 'Police Officers' that are actually Mods.  Dress them in blue, then have the clothes despawn the moment their character dies?  I don't know, haven't really thought about it. 

Though I will point out, Jason, that many players on OHOL play simply to be griefers.  Killing them rarely works out until after the damage is all done, and the rare times we manage to nail them before they've destroyed everything, the damage is set.  Once I've spawned as an Eve near one of these villages.  Almost thought I could live there...  I starved though, because this creative griefer used all the soil for wheat and milkweed.

They're a problem everywhere.  OHOL and 2HOL will always have to deal with them.  One choses a more direct approach, the other just waits out the problem.

I will say, however, that a griefer can only cause the kind of damage they want on the OHOL server.  Because that one lasts.  Like the village I went to, there is no fixing it.  I didn't help built that, but it did cause me to feel a bit disappointed for those that worked so hard.  There will never be any civilization vs. civilization wars because they're too busy fighting against the criminal stealing all of their food.  Which is massively disappointing as I'm with you on that one, I'd love to go to war once or twice.

To arms!  To arms!  All available bodies to arms!

Came close to it once, but as we all know, the Kingdom was defeated by it's own walls. lmao

The most important thing to notice, however...

WE'RE GETTING POTATOES!!!!!!!

Sound the trumpets, all peasants rejoice!

#22 2018-05-01 18:09:21

kubassa
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

When players notice a griefer, they are powerless to stop them.  Someone can literally follow you around and mess with you non-stop.  Like, if you're baking pies, they can walk off with all your plates.  If you're trying to load an oven with kindling, they can empty the kindling before you get a chance to light it.  As you're about to plant carrots, they can plant wheat.  They can turn every oven into a kiln, and just when you're about to fire a new plate, they can seal the kiln and make charcoal instead.  Just when you till a row and are ready to plant, they can take the soil away in a basket.  They can walk off with your last carrot seeds, dig up all the remaining wild carrots, cut down every kindling tree.

This I consider griefing. Not fighting and killing each other. Pull all the milkweed for 500 tiles in every direction and the civilization will have trouble. Nothing is more bothersome in game when someone sees you using equipment and they take your cart will all of it so they can do what they want after you spent 1/3 of your life crafting it all.

KILL'em all. Easy solution to them pesky griefers.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-05-01 18:10:45)

I got huge ballz.

#23 2018-05-02 00:53:34

Pronghorn

I've been playing this game a while now and I'm running into so many mean players lately on OHOL. They just seem mad at everyone. Of course nothing can be done about it. I don't expect anyone to care. I'm just venting I guess...

They weren't a griefer but griefers are not the only ones that can spoil the fun of the game.
Just going around calling people the "n" word and stuff like that.
I usually just kill myself in the woods to respawn some where else.

Again, I don't expect anyone to care.

This is when I go over to 2HOL for a while.

Last edited by Pronghorn (2018-05-02 01:07:32)

Please be kind.

#24 2018-05-02 02:15:46

AliCatGamer

I'm defiantly going to switch to 2HOL, I'm tired of starting from scratch over and over again and I don't care if there are griefers there.

I just want to start in a place where I don't have to worry about food constantly. Where I don't have to keep making the same basic tools over and over again, only to die from starvation and start all over again. I'm tired of being abandoned by Eves, murdered for the hell of it of it or because there was not enough food.

I want to build things that will stay and be left behind for later generations or someone else to use or made into something better. I want to be able to choose a job and stick with it without having to worry about how the farm is doing.

I want to see new and interesting things that you can craft.

I WANT TO HAVE FUN!

I will come back to OHOL when things have balanced out and more tech is added.

#25 2018-05-02 02:22:16

jere

Well, that certainly says something. tongue

How about allowing killing but only if the victim is not revived? The griefer hits you with a club, you are knocked unconscious for let's say 1 minute (your hunger could be sped up if needed), and if you aren't revived you die of starvation. This would still allow killing to happen (and all the emergent stories that go along with it) and going out in the wilderness alone could be a death trap, but staying in a village should offer strength in numbers. As long as you have one adult nearby, you are somewhat safe, but actually the lone griefer puts himself in a lot of risk.

Imagine a modern day serial killer. They don't run into downtown and start stabbing people willy nilly. They plan out their murders very carefully and catch people when they're alone.

Also it gives some time for due process. You can knock someone out and then spend 30s deliberating with others about why they deserved it. If the griefer is the one knocking someone out, perhaps she doesn't have a plausible reason and the village can respond appropriately.

You could have the same mechanism with other weapons like knives by having medicine that heals wounds and eventually guns that kill immediately but are hard to manufacture and load.

[edit] Oh duh,of course you should be able to drag the unconscious body around like you can drag a cart... potentially concealing your crime or maybe dragging someone into a prison. At first I was thinking the game really needed restraints for law/order/prisons to function, but dragging them around would probably do it.

Last edited by jere (2018-05-02 02:31:31)

Board footer