One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-29 17:50:24

kubassa
Banned

Re: Coordinates - possible to hide them?

Drakulon wrote:

kubassa its not about decryption. Imagine whenever you spawn, the field where you spawn will be 0,0 cords. The server knows the true cords, but it doesnt send it to you, it only sends cords to you that are relative to your spawn point 0,0. So you always get a different cord system whenever you spawn.
To break this you need get creative smile

The server will always have the actual coords. It would be encrypted to make it show me 0,0 which means I was sent the encrypted data. You can then reverse it to find the true coords client side.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-29 18:00:10)

I got huge ballz.

#27 2018-04-29 18:11:19

Drakulon

But how do you obtain the real cords if the server never sends them to you?
If we assume that you cant hack the server / have no access to the server memory.
Lets say you spawn at 45,72 (you dont know that) and the server sends to you that you spawned at 0,0
How do you decrypt 0,0 to 45,72 ?
And then you die and spawn again, now you are at 33,25 but only the server knows that and he tells you again you are at 0,0
How do you decrypt 0,0 to 33,25 ?
If you move one field to the right you will be at 34,25 but only the server knows that and he tells you you are now at 1,0
The server doesnt need to send you to the real cords in order to work.
I still think there is atleast one way to get the real cords, but it has nothing to do with decryption and is probably difficult to achieve

Last edited by Drakulon (2018-04-29 18:13:58)

#28 2018-04-29 19:38:39

Greyhammer

Wanted to add my voice to this thread... and I vote for the change.

This game is not meant to be played with meta-teams.

The beauty of the game is the randomness of every individual life, and how you make the best of what you've got for that one life. The relationship with your new mom, and your kith and kin, all whom you haven't (or don't know if you haven't) met before, and with every life try to leave a better situation than when you left.

Now, we have the source code, so people can do whatever they want on their own servers I'm sure, and that's great. On the official servers though, I highly support the removal of client-side coords.

#29 2018-04-29 19:46:22

Go! Bwah!

Drakulon wrote:

I still think there is atleast one way to get the real cords, but it has nothing to do with decryption and is probably difficult to achieve

Since the random seed is (currently) static and known, you could generate a matching map client-side and do some on-the-fly comparisons to find your location, if your algorithm was efficient enough.  (Since we know the Eve-generation location algorithm, we could also use that to narrow things down somewhat.)  Is that what you were thinking?

If the random seed is different for each server and unknown, I suppose you could try to get enough people to use a custom client that updates a shared map (one for each server), and then eventually you could go back to your map-comparison algorithm method.  But that's one for the Discord voice-chat crowd, not casuals like me smile

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-04-30 05:15:08)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#30 2018-04-30 01:36:40

KucheKlizma

kubassa wrote:

At present I use powershell. That is an external program.

kubassa wrote:

I work for a major game studio if you must know and I have been coding physics engines for years son. Worked with Unreal, Source, Infinity, and some in house engines. As for begging in Haxzor forums I do not have to because I am one of the publishers of one of the injectors. Been cracking VAC for well over 10 years son.

First of all powershell isn't an "external program" it's a first party native shell for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Unless you're using it on Linux, calling it an "external program" just reinforces my previous statement that you can't even list a directory in the standard CLI of Windows. No game dev uses powershell (as a primary tool), it's a goddamn platform tool that's mainly used in infrastructure management by sys admins, ops and so forth (though obviously everybody can use it, as it's extremely easy to use).

Secondly Unreal, Source and Infinity are not "in house" engines. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard from a script kiddie.
[P.S. I actually misread the initial statement so scratch that]

And third, you must work at a pretty bad studio, judging by how badly informed you are. AKA your mom's basement.

P.S. The problem with what you're saying is that this is an open-source, indie, coop game. Obviously it would be extremely easy to find a server-side exploit, provided that one exists, when you have full access to the source-code, but why even bother - sounds like a massive waste of time? Furthermore if you see the exploit in the source-code, it's just as easy to point out where it is. Either way you'd be working on improving the game's security. Calling bullshit on your alleged credentials, as you haven't even realized the game is open-source by now, among other things like the bragging about powershell or VAC as if it's something special.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-04-30 01:59:04)

#31 2018-04-30 04:32:07

Drakulon

palisade wrote:

Okay so we know how the game "should" be played but what about those of us who want to play with friends. This has never been truly addressed. It had to be taken into the hands of users via custom servers and coordinate tools

good point, i think taking away cords right now would do more harm than good.

---

Go! Bwah! yes that was the direction i was thinking about.
I also like the idea of a shared community map.

#32 2018-04-30 05:13:41

Potjeh

kubassa wrote:

I work for a major game studio if you must know and I have been coding physics engines for years son. Worked with Unreal, Source, Infinity, and some in house engines. As for begging in Haxzor forums I do not have to because I am one of the publishers of one of the injectors. Been cracking VAC for well over 10 years son.

Funny thing, I also work as a game developer. Mostly working on AI, but also some physics, tool development (various editors) and serialization. You know how much of that translates into hacking? Zero.

Also, claims to be a gamedev and doesn't understand basic concepts like global and local coordinates XD

#33 2018-04-30 06:36:00

YAHG

You can try to hide the coordinates but coordination is part of the game. It will bleed through regardless..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#34 2018-04-30 08:16:08

KucheKlizma

Potjeh wrote:

Funny thing, I also work as a game developer. Mostly working on AI, but also some physics, tool development (various editors) and serialization. You know how much of that translates into hacking? Zero.

Also, claims to be a gamedev and doesn't understand basic concepts like global and local coordinates XD

Nah man he has an "injector" to bypass VAC to h4x0r the CS client, which he uses to magically h4x0r the s0rv0r with powershell. That's how it works br0h. l33t.

#35 2018-05-04 19:36:55

Kailied

We're not doing anything wrong by creating our own towns though. It is the style of gameplay we choose, and we rarely even play on the public servers, we're usually very in the background on a quiet server like 10 or whatever, and we don't bother anyone else. We don't shut out noobs, or whatever you call them, we often like to let them in and play, but for large projects such as our old 111 gen run (Which was commended by Jason) we just can't afford to have someone in there who is not able to verbally communicate with us. Also, that project was done on S6, which was only populated by us for about 90% of the whole thing (over the course of 2 days).
As I've stated, we play a certain way, and if there is a "fix" to how we play, then we will no longer feel motivated to play, as we usually like to start, and thus continue projects. It's already not easy for us to get back; do you know how long it takes to run 6000 blocks? 30 damn minutes.. 5 minutes for every thousand, and it certainly adds up FAST.
If this is implemented, I can guarantee you Jason will see a major decrease in the people more known among the community playing.

#36 2018-05-04 21:11:38

YAHG

Kailied wrote:

We're not doing anything wrong by creating our own towns though. It is the style of gameplay we choose, and we rarely even play on the public servers, we're usually very in the background on a quiet server like 10 or whatever, and we don't bother anyone else. We don't shut out noobs, or whatever you call them, we often like to let them in and play, but for large projects such as our old 111 gen run (Which was commended by Jason) we just can't afford to have someone in there who is not able to verbally communicate with us. Also, that project was done on S6, which was only populated by us for about 90% of the whole thing (over the course of 2 days).
As I've stated, we play a certain way, and if there is a "fix" to how we play, then we will no longer feel motivated to play, as we usually like to start, and thus continue projects. It's already not easy for us to get back; do you know how long it takes to run 6000 blocks? 30 damn minutes.. 5 minutes for every thousand, and it certainly adds up FAST.
If this is implemented, I can guarantee you Jason will see a major decrease in the people more known among the community playing.

At some point it is worth it to tame a horse lol <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer