One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-29 03:14:00

nofaz

Farming and crops rotation

When Civilization found that if they rotate the crops they could yield more food, so the idea was if you plant same seeds over and over you deplete specific nutrients from the soil, having small harvests.

What about a system that dirt doesn't just disappear after a crop being harvested, it just diminishes the quantity it yields.  For carrots could be 5-3-1 and disappear, you can rejuvenate it using manure, but still decreasing 5-4-3-2-1.
You could rotate for wheat  and disappear after being harvested.

This way would be difficult enough, but permitting sustainability to develop towns

With blood and Honor

#2 2018-04-29 03:29:00

Balzabukas

Re: Farming and crops rotation

nofaz wrote:

When Civilization found that if they rotate the crops they could yield more food, so the idea was if you plant same seeds over and over you deplete specific nutrients from the soil, having small harvests.

What about a system that dirt doesn't just disappear after a crop being harvested, it just diminishes the quantity it yields.  For carrots could be 5-3-1 and disappear, you can rejuvenate it using manure, but still decreasing 5-4-3-2-1.
You could rotate for wheat  and disappear after being harvested.

This way would be difficult enough, but permitting sustainability to develop towns

Right now soil is infinite at the end of tech tree so that is not too useful.

#3 2018-04-29 03:38:25

YAHG

You already need crop "rotation" except it is more a flexible ratio.

Compost needs berries carrot and straw (wheat) and poop (more berries and carrots).
Now some of the soil needs to go into the carrot seedings and the wheat. A new soil sink
is sapling production, unless you have enough Hoes you need to plant saplings and that
makes every row of carrots effectively cost 1 soil too. Still need to plant em though.

Interestingly the output of soil from the process is higher than the input and it thus gives
you some room to push soil towards other goods you desire, expanding milk production,
berry bushes, wheat for pies and more baskets (tule is onion tier now so wheat is back in
play).

I would like to see fertilizer of some sort as well as more sources of poop, having the
straw and water as inputs limits it enough as is, the 2nd bowl of berry/carrot isn't
ACTUALLY a big cost if you were investing in berry bushes.

I have yet to live in a farm that was REALLY making a lot of compost though. Once
I experience that my dream is a well managed system of wells... THEN we can send
out horsemen on rock hunts and ... well we will see wink

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-04-29 05:35:50

nofaz

YAHG wrote:

You already need crop "rotation" except it is more a flexible ratio.

Compost needs berries carrot and straw (wheat) and poop (more berries and carrots).
Now some of the soil needs to go into the carrot seedings and the wheat. A new soil sink
is sapling production, unless you have enough Hoes you need to plant saplings and that
makes every row of carrots effectively cost 1 soil too. Still need to plant em though.

Interestingly the output of soil from the process is higher than the input and it thus gives
you some room to push soil towards other goods you desire, expanding milk production,
berry bushes, wheat for pies and more baskets (tule is onion tier now so wheat is back in
play).

I would like to see fertilizer of some sort as well as more sources of poop, having the
straw and water as inputs limits it enough as is, the 2nd bowl of berry/carrot isn't
ACTUALLY a big cost if you were investing in berry bushes.

I have yet to live in a farm that was REALLY making a lot of compost though. Once
I experience that my dream is a well managed system of wells... THEN we can send
out horsemen on rock hunts and ... well we will see wink

Thanks for your input, clarified alot for me, I had this idea back when soil rules changed, but didn't get the trouble to share it. This weekend had opportunity to get back in game but spend all the time backing pies, and once was born to a Eve with only a small farm and when pick the last carrot the soil despawned, asked if was normal and got an arrow in my knee as a response, guess she though I was new and would grief her small setlement

With blood and Honor

#5 2018-04-29 10:15:07

YAHG

nofaz wrote:

got an arrow in my knee as a response

I used to be an adventurer like you..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer