One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-26 18:41:48

Eve-rlastingGamer

Newbies: The Path to Failure or Success?

It seems to me that the topic of what to do with new players is steadily growing.  Why, I honestly have no idea.  Everyone should be embracing the new players.  Without new players to replace the old, where would the game be?  At one point in time, everybody started out as a Newbie.  Which was fine then, so why isn't it fine now?

Yes, they can bring the fall of a civilization.  So can having too many experienced players in one area.  So can a bear attack.  So can running out of soil, carrots, rabbits, ect...  There's just too many reasons for a town to fail then a singular cause.  Eventually the newbies are going to be too afraid to ask questions out of fear that someone will kill them, or starving.  Which is a shame!  They should be able to properly express their desire to learn.  And we should teach them!

Just have them shadow you as you go about your various tasks.  Let them watch you make a shovel.  Answer them when they ask why.  This way, once they die and play again, they already know and can move on to a different how and why.  The more the newbies learn and advance, the easier all our lives will be. 

Yes, there will be trolls that take advantage of this.
Yes, there will be people who just run around like idiots.

Most people, however, actually want to learn.  They don't want to make your experience difficult.  Helping people out is just the way most people are hardwired.

Tell them why they shouldn't eat the seeding carrots.  Tell them why they shouldn't leave a single carrot growing in a row.  Tell them what happens when they make mistakes.  Encourage them when they do things well, or hell, encourage everyone when they do things well.  Nobody likes it when their work isn't appreciated.

"Here's some wheat for you"
"TY GJ"

"Whoops, ate seeding carrot!"
"Be careful.  Don't do again."

I just think that everyone is being just a bit harsh on them.  It only takes a couple of hours to figure out the general 'rules' of the game.  Trust me, everyone wants to advance.  Everyone wants to contribute.  More importantly, everyone wants to be able to wake up tomorrow and get a town going, and they can't do that by themselves!  If we abandon the newbies with all the old players quitting, then what's going to happen?

#2 2018-04-26 19:18:12

AliCatGamer

Re: Newbies: The Path to Failure or Success?

When most of us old players started it was easy to build a village, make food and teach new people without starving. Progress was made and role playing was fun. After the apocalypse and the food nerf, it's became harder to teach new player.

I have no problem with new players and when I'm female I try and ask each baby "Are you new?". If I get  "Y" then ok, the village might survive. If I get a "N" then I try to teach them the 3 main rules of the land. But I can't do that if the farm is just starting and i'm trying to make enough food to support them and my self.  Or if the tools needed to till the row has just broke and you have to scrabble to make a new stone hoe so you don't starve.

Some times you get into a desperate situation and the newbie picks all the carrots or empties the ponds and you get angry. Your hard work has been messed up and you've had no time to teach them because you starve on the spot while you're trying to type to them. That in it self can be really hard if you are still young and can only type a few letters at a time.

I agree we should help them, but it's harder with the games current build.
But that's just me.

#3 2018-04-26 19:46:49

breezeknight

i don't like being asked if i'm new or if know how to play or if i know the rules or whatever

what's the point ?

it's a game, one can spawn again & again, as long i am not a griefer & murderer it's legit to just play it as one can
most of the players i play with in the game die, i am most of the times one if not the only surviver, sometimes, seldom someone is still there or maybe even more efficient than me,
that's all i have to say about "experienced players", that's how this game is & also every player was at some point a newbee, so just relax smile

#4 2018-04-26 20:20:35

Turnipseed

breezeknight wrote:

i don't like being asked if i'm new or if know how to play or if i know the rules or whatever

what's the point ?

it's a game, one can spawn again & again, as long i am not a griefer & murderer it's legit to just play it as one can
most of the players i play with in the game die, i am most of the times one if not the only surviver, sometimes, seldom someone is still there or maybe even more efficient than me,
that's all i have to say about "experienced players", that's how this game is & also every player was at some point a newbee, so just relax smile

Its really just do it so i know wheter to teach them about ponds and milkweed.

Usually say
"U new?"
"Y , n?"
"If n ill teach"

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#5 2018-04-26 20:31:45

stickyflypaper

One if the things I use to tell my children is "be kind and patient with the new players."
That was before the update. I'm not doing much mothering lately.

#6 2018-04-27 00:48:39

Eve-rlastingGamer

It's true that the new update has made it nearly impossible to be a new Eve in a new land.  Having children at that point isn't just difficult, it's foolish.  Most of the children die during this phase, so all the time you already put into them was wasted.  I completely understand not being able to tack on "teacher" among the various titles we've already accepted.  During these times, I never really expect to be raised, and I never hold it against a player who isn't willing to risk dying early for it.  Especially if it can't be guaranteed that I'll even survive.

It's mainly people who say "Who cares" that are amply wrecking the game.  For one, many of the players care.  For two, Jason cares.  It's his project.  His job.  He sinks a good deal of time into it.  Players have sunk a good deal of time into it.  Various lives lived, an hour here and an hour there for weeks at a time until hundreds of hours have been logged.  That's not a bad thing.

And I find the lack of care anyone feels for this somewhat disconcerting.  The lack of kindness in the game is astonishing.

The more I play the more stunned I am over it.  Was it all the previous players that made the game what it was?  If so, then was it because they cared?  I would guess so, and if that is the case, then I salute them for taking such a risk during this age and I mourn that they are no longer here to help make the game more enjoyable.

stickyflypaper wrote:

One if the things I use to tell my children is "be kind and patient with the new players."
That was before the update. I'm not doing much mothering lately.

+1

Last edited by Eve-rlastingGamer (2018-04-27 00:49:42)

#7 2018-04-27 15:27:08

Lavea

As a fairly new player, I'm finding it an incredibly steep learning curve. It's not a game I can come to to relax. I am trying. I've learned a few things. I had one life with a mum who was a really great smith. I tried to watch her without interfering, but she was so quick I couldn't get the hang of what she was doing, and then I felt bad because I couldn't pick it up. I do feel this game is such a rush, it almost punishes you for doing absolutely anything except constantly try to look for water and carrot seeds. I've never yet had a game where I haven't felt bad for taking up resources trying to learn something new. It does put me off playing cause, I don't want to just spent the game forever water and carrot seed running.

#8 2018-04-27 15:40:49

Turnipseed

Lavea wrote:

As a fairly new player, I'm finding it an incredibly steep learning curve. It's not a game I can come to to relax. I am trying. I've learned a few things. I had one life with a mum who was a really great smith. I tried to watch her without interfering, but she was so quick I couldn't get the hang of what she was doing, and then I felt bad because I couldn't pick it up. I do feel this game is such a rush, it almost punishes you for doing absolutely anything except constantly try to look for water and carrot seeds. I've never yet had a game where I haven't felt bad for taking up resources trying to learn something new. It does put me off playing cause, I don't want to just spent the game forever water and carrot seed running.

Sadly you chose a bad time to buy the game its very hard to learn currently, and people are less willing to take the time to teach you.

I learned a bit of the game from a mother in a large town with surplus food. She told me to carry a carrot pie (they made them just for this reason) she taught me to smith.

I learned from an uncle how to farm, not to cut all the wheat, when to pick milkweed, what a pond with one use looks like.

I learned how to get and tend to sheep from an aging woman who gave me her cloths before she passed. Leaving me instructions on where to leave her remains.

None of these rich experiences happen anymore. If you really wanna learn how to play all i can say is "git gud"

(Seriosly youtube and wiki. In game learning is very very rare now)

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#9 2018-04-27 16:05:28

Lavea

I think everything I've learned I've so far I learned from watching Youtube videos. :S It's the only time there's enough to stop and pause the steps. And I have about 8 reciepes open on my phone from the wiki when I land somewhere new as an Eve - which about 1/3 of the time I seem to.

#10 2018-04-27 16:07:13

Lavea

Oh that's not true. A really nice mum on my first day showed me how to make a home marker. That was really sweet smile I tried to show another new player later, but I got eaten by a bear while trying to show them to use the round rock not the sharp one big_smile

#11 2018-04-27 16:10:45

AliCatGamer

Lavea wrote:

I have been trying to make the official wiki more user friendly and helpful to new players rather than walls of text and lists. It's a bit time consuming though. hmm

The Onetech site is great for recipes as it is constantly updated with the game. However it's existence can be easily missed and it's bit fiddly to navigate but do look it over. It dosen't have any information about the game just recipes.

I know that it would of been more fun to learn while playing, but until the game mechanics are balanced out it my be the best option at the moment to learn from the wiki's.

I do love teaching new players how to survive, that's why I always ask if they are new, but with the game in it's current state the best I can do is teach them what I like to call "The three laws of the land". smile

#12 2018-04-27 19:56:14

Finrael

Lavea wrote:

You should go to custom server, like chill server
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=381

After watching on youtube and buying the game I started there too. Official servers were too hard at beginning. After some time there it gets too slow actually and you will come to the REAL game  big_smile big_smile big_smile

Board footer