One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-03 20:39:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Methman Memorial

vkHTmGi.png

We recently received some sad news.  Methman, a friendly pillar of our community and Discord moderator, died late last fall.

The One Hour One Life community has been remembering him in various ways this week.

His primary online handle was MaDc0w, and I just recently learned where the "Methman" nickname in the OHOL community came from.  Mofobert designed an "OHOL Portrait" of MaDc0w using the Editor, and MaDc0w loved this hilarious image so much that he adopted it as his Discord icon.  MaDc0w thought that this wacky OHOL character with the red cape looked like he was high on meth, so the name Methman was born.

Here is a direct quote from the email that I received from his friend:

Now that the family has had a couple months to grieve we are providing the following statement in one of his online communities. I pass this information on to you so you can choose to make a statement or have a remembrance as well.

It is with deep sadness that we announce the loss of MaDc0w, a friend so close to us that they are considered family. He unfortunately passed suddenly and untimely in the morning on November 30th while in his home. He lived an amazing life with a love of Technology matched by few. MaDc0w was a leader in our community and will be missed by all.

Rest in peace, Methman.  You will be missed.

#2 2024-02-03 20:57:45

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: Update: Methman Memorial

Thank you for this Jason. It's really touching and I'm sure he'd appreciate being honored inside the game.

He was a pillar in the community and it won't be the same with him gone.

Game good yet?

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2024-02-03 21:08:29

Spoonwood

I'm watching Dox's stream right now as a white Eve.  He's in, I think, Saltea's old town.

Do I need to do an estimation on how far away the Original Methman Monument is from living families now?

I do feel you have a touching tribute above though.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2024-02-03 21:10:32)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2024-02-03 21:30:20

HimitsuGato

What an incredible update. Spectacular gesture from the dev and community. The commitment to this game and community has created a chronical of interesting ideas and touching tributes.

I'm all mushy inside. I love it here.

#5 2024-02-12 06:31:19

Spoonwood

So far...

Good as a low pop server update.  I especially like how it requires going back to slightly right of the origin.  Since an Additional Methman Monument requires plans from an Original Methman Monument, making an Additional Methman Monument can get thought of as rebuilding something civilized from scratch!

But, it does end up bad as an update for bigserver2 or server1 at present though.  It is dead content right now.  Even with increased plane distance, it is either still dead content or soon could easily become permanently dead content on those servers.

Perhaps an outsider would believe that this game gets developed for people on servers with less than 15 players on them.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2024-02-12 22:05:40)

Danish Clinch.

#6 2024-02-14 00:39:45

Spoonwood

Also, before this update, the max flight distance on any server was 10,000 tiles!  https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … a04ff07375  Families were over 500,000 tiles from the Original Methman Monument on bigserver2.  After a week, *as I write this*, there still have not existed any changes to the plane distance, and families even further away.

"Airplane changes not live yet."  https://discord.com/channels/3282153002 … 5039839283

There was no plan whatsoever on how this thing would work for bigserver2 or server1 for that matter for more than a week after it got released.  Apparently, there does not exist any plan how an Additional Methman Monument would get built in a few weeks or months from now also.

I don't believe that there exists any plan as to how such would get reached on server1 even after airplane changes.

Again, an outsider perhaps would look at this update and conclude that the game gets developed for players playing on server 3 through server 15.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2024-02-26 15:16:53

Spoonwood

This update is still only relevant for servers where Eve chaining is possible.  It is not relevant for bigserver2 and server1.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer