One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-22 18:42:22

Spoonwood

When Will This Arc End?

Demonicblack, who has over 3000 hours and I've had many enjoyable lives with, sent me the following picture saying

"i made this screenshot to annoy you":

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ … rbox=false

He also said:

"so i did a small eve experiment, instead of focusing on kiln and whatever i focused on looting
it went kinda nice lol"

Alright, it's better than resettling a dead town.  And o. k., he has over 3000 hours, so he's not some clueless new player, and he feels it kind of nice.

But still...

WHAT

THE

IS

THIS

????

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2024-01-22 19:30:23

jinbaili83

Re: When Will This Arc End?

We need another rift. Local one just for a single family.

It should show up gradually when town starts using diesel well.

Once it closes, town can be only accesed with aeroplane.

No more trucks full of loot driving around.

#3 2024-01-24 16:24:04

D3mon1cblack

Mind you not even the bellows were homemade /devious
i had a lucky spawn tho closeby an old dead town so that kinda kickstarted the entire thing.
and i have to say i had a blast  and made the sucky wellsite i chose 100 times better

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#4 2024-01-27 21:12:54

Paradoxal_1

Part of the problem is Eve is spawning too close to old or current towns. 

I was Eve yesterday and I checked the springs directly east and west of me for good iron spots. 

To my surprise, the next spring to the East was dry and pointed to the current big ginger town, which was 200 North and 200 East of my spawn point. 

And last week, I spawned as Eve a few times and each time I was upset, because all the wild food and milkweed were picked clean, even though I walked west for a few springs.
Still all the berry bushes were dry.  I died on purpose to a wolf, but then I was placed as eve again in the exact same location.
-My old Eve dead body was one screen away from my new spawn point still with flies above it.
(I think Jason may need to loosen up the eve placement rubber bands that are binding eve placement to the average of the other current towns.)

In summery...

If two different Eve lives are spawning on pretty much directly on top of each other, it could be a sign of a problem.

If Eve is spawning next to a dry spring, it could be a sign there is a problem.

If Eve is spawning in an area with dried out berry bushes, it could be a sign of a problem.

If Eve is spawning 200 away from an old town, it could lead to a looting problem like we are seeing in the picture posted by demon.

I would like to see the strings on the Eve placements loosened up a little bit.

#5 2024-01-27 23:32:13

Spoonwood

Paradoxal_1 wrote:

I was Eve yesterday and I checked the springs directly east and west of me for good iron spots.

I thought it was two days ago you were Eve as Eve Spring and you were daughter of Eve Kyle yesterday?  Anyways, minor detail.  I think from the dry springs I saw watching Hope Kyle http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … d=10146834, I can say with confidence that Eve Kyle didn't move around to find a spot.  The spring nearest to her fire was a dry spring pointing northeast to gingers.  It was her daughter who found the spot, and Eve Kyle didn't know to look.  She just didn't have any relevant experience.

If an Eve is Black and the other last Eve was Ginger, it's more likely that there exist iron mines right of your spawn spot.

But, if the last Eve settled in an adjacent band, then the algorithm puts the next Eve at a spot where the previous Eve/family can have tapped out mines to the right of their closest spring.  In other worse, I think spawning point is currently 20-40 tiles left of the tapout radius of the last dug well... but shifted to stay in band (if the square wave pattern hasn't gotten applied by Eves getting bite by wolves or something like that: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8344)  That leaves 4 possible mine sites to the left/west if the Eve doesn't move.  The closest spring has all mines to the right tapped out if the families are ginger/white, white/ginger, white/tan, tan/white, tan/black, or black/tan.

When I look for a spot, I try to find a spot with 2 mines.  I've smithed early in some other families and got them up to the tools for a cart with just one mine before, but it feels grindy moving a mining pick around without a cart.  And also, one mine towns are likely to end up depending on other families for iron or consuming more oil than average.  2 mines and 3 clay pits close-ish pretty much comes as my rule set for finding a spot, and likely branches are o. k. also.  So, having new Eves spawn say 80 or 120 tiles left of the tapout radius could be advantageous for finding a nice spot.

On the other hand, if one spawns as things stand, and one can find milkweed near one's starting area, then if one makes a fire bow drill, rabbit snare, and hatchet before finding a spot, and finds a spot left, then there's some advantage over spawning in an already suitable spot.

That said, I think new Eves won't run around and look.  Or think something like "make basket, the three primary tools, and only after find a spot."  If new Eves spawned 80 or 120 tiles left, they would more often have a 2nd mine.  So, yea, I think Eve spawning just a bit further west would be better.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2024-01-29 01:33:59

Paradoxal_1

Yeah you are right. I was not Eve but Eve Kyle's child.  I remembered wrong.

#7 2024-02-04 11:31:57

shadyonthelordssunday
Banned

I agree it takes too much effort to maintain this goofy and non replayable ark because at some point it repeats with variations. Nothing is of interest here, not very fun.

Sunday 99.9% Dreamless - let earth receive her king in the name of the Father the Son and the holy Spirit

Board footer