One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-13 07:24:40

Spoonwood

No Apocalypses Ever: Tutorial Areas Disappear from an Apocalypse

I had started arguing on the discord recently that an apocalypse on bigserver2 made sense.  This arc, which I call the Weasner arc, has gone on for so, so long.  It has lasted over 21 months.  The Weasner arc has lasted more than 936987 OHOL years as you read this.

But, then I looked over an old bug report, and remembered experiencing a tutorial area disappearing during an apocalypse.  It didn't bother me, but I understood what was happening, and wasn't playing the tutorial to learn anything that the tutorial got designed to teach.  I was testing out to see if I could finish the end during the disaster of a day that was April 1st, 2022 or reading Hetuw chat or something like that. 

Jason disagrees with me https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 1885367236 on the following , but I think that an apocalypse resetting a tutorial area makes for a bad experience for new players.  As an analogy, consider that we have a diligent student studying Geometry from a little pamphlet.  Then some bully comes along and throws some black carbonated beverage on the pamphlet or grabs it off of the desk, tears it up, and throws it in the trash.  Though, the student can ask the teacher for another pamphlet, I don't think it wise to tell the student that s/he gained from the experience of having the bully act that way.  And I don't think it appropriate to reward or encourage the bully to do that, and disciplining the bully seems like the better course of action.  I also don't think it worth the diligent student's time to experience something like a bully destroying their study material.

So, no apocalypses... ever.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer