One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-27 08:43:35

forman

INTERESTING SOLO GAMEPLAY: Smaller Families/Greater Spread is BETTER

Firstly, yes I am Forman you may have seen my name before and I  have clocked at least 1000 probably 2000+ hours in OHOL.

Recently I started playing on Server1 which is mainly empty.
I went from eve to top tier tech in about 12 lives over a couple days.

When I came back later to see if I could locate my base (I did) I noticed several new bases and bodies around.
It had been about 2-3 irl days since I played last, and when I located my base, I could tell other players had been there.
Possibly 2-3 different people or 1 person for 3 lives.

Having done this, I realize this style of gameplay is at LEAST fairly new to OHOL (far as I know) and, in my opinion, superior.

There is a great mystery in this new, empty server. When someone does show up as your child, or a random roaming eve, it is exciting.
I think if the family algorithm was adjusted such that families did not exceed, say, 5 players the game, it would be better.

This is not to say that multiple families could not band together to form large cities.
Languages would ACTUALLY MATTER and exploration/navigation would be more important.

I've mentioned several times that NOMADIC playstyle is a good eve strategy and also fun.
I think mechanics should be adjusted such that bases are viewed as temporary, and that families may easily migrate across the map.

Spitting out many more families/eves would naturally unlock more iron/wells and partially started camps for families to move through.
I also think the biome band size should be expand 2-3x larger, possibly even 10x in order to put emphasis on family migration.

In this case if a family progresses to the rubber stage, they may have to migrate over generations, carrying the resources in order to unlock this tech.
And yes, I think this would actually be FUN. The current state of 10-20 people globbing in 50gen bases is ridiculously easy and basically pointless.

Last edited by forman (2023-07-27 08:47:18)

#2 2023-07-27 19:52:32

Tarr
Banned

Re: INTERESTING SOLO GAMEPLAY: Smaller Families/Greater Spread is BETTER

It would absolutely not be better. Historically speaking families have been small due to the ability to force Eves and families being scattered. Until probably the last year or so you never seen big families, and you never seen long families until you had mechanics in place to strengthen families from getting boys all the way down. Hell, the game used to split servers at like 20 people per server and we had tons of random servers active for no reason.

I think at times villages might get too many players in one area which can be bad but in the games history this is something we never had before. The game was balanced around having like 10 people in a family lol. However, big families occur because the towns and townies can support these players which helps keep new people alive and gives them an actual place to learn without too much trouble.

In the past if population was high people literally just starved or killed babies because the players were bad lol. We should not return to the time where towns are small 5 or 10 people groups if we don’t have to as more families = more places for trolls to spawn which then allows them to kill off towns easier.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2023-09-12 05:25:46

SoloAceMouse

Only been playing under two years but have clocked roughly 1500 hours.

I think some de-centralization would be good, though I have different ideas about how to achieve it.

Currently, every town is basically tethered to a solitary well and their existence is tied to the water it provides. Therefore, all towns are essentially stuck to one "hub" that every activity ends up being directly attached to. Even auxiliary buildings seem more like elaborate roleplaying projects than useful 90% of the time. With this system, we're functionally constrained to high-density centers with dead zones between only sparsely occupied except by roads and dead towns.

My solution would be to reset the eve well iron unlock after 50 generations. [roughly 1 day IRL - easily long enough for fams to max the tech tree in current meta] Perhaps an indicator such as a message when inheriting leadership in "settler-ready" towns could indicate to players if their family was ready to split.

With this option, a pioneer group could set off West from town and settle elsewhere if they were born in a long-lived town with most tasks done.

I'd love to pack up a couple carts with supplies and be able to establish a viable colony on the frontier while still preserving an existing family.

I can, of course, see some downsides to this, but I think allowing a hybrid between old families and new settlements could be a fun alternative to eternally being stuck where your ancestors discovered agriculture.

#4 2023-10-14 20:48:06

forman

SoloAceMouse wrote:

Only been playing under two years but have clocked roughly 1500 hours.

I could see some pioneer or satellite-town system working.

You can bring it up on github issues section which is the list Jason is currently working off of.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/

Board footer