One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-18 15:02:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Why "Five Years" isn't really "Five Years"

A number of people have said that they will be "sent to Donkeytown for five years."  That is a distortion of how this system works.

To start with, you have one player saying, "I don't ever want to play with you anymore."  That lasts for five years.  This is "soft" compared to pretty much any other service that supports blocks (twitter, discord, etc.)  In those services, blocking is forever, and it never expires.  Here, we force it to expire after five years, whether the blocking player wants it to expire or not.

You only "go to DT" if lots of players who are currently playing have you blocked.  If no one who is currently playing has you blocked, you don't go to DT.  Full stop.

Essentially, some people have said, "I don't want to play with you anymore."  In order to honor that, we have to find a spot for you to be born where you're not near these players.

If we run out of places for you to be born, we have two choices:

1.  Violate the wishes of a player who says they don't want to play with you anymore, by sending you near that player.

2.  Send you somewhere far away from everyone (Donkeytown).

Since we only run out of place for you to be born if you've bothered a lot of different people who are currently playing the game, we err on the side of all those people, and slight you (2) instead of violating their wishes (1).

And yes, there is a global component of the blocking radius, where "how far away do you need to be born from blockers" gets bigger as the total number of people who have cursed you grows.  But again, if you haven't bothered that many people, the chances of them all being online at one time, to block you everywhere, is very slim.

Regardless of this global component, if no one online is currently blocking you, you do NOT go to Donkeytown.  Even if 1000s of people have cursed you.  If no one currently online objects to playing near you, you get born into the world as normal.

If you are truly cursed by accident.... framed or whatever.... you have channels that you can use inside and outside the game to make amends to that person, ask for forgiveness, etc.

The idea that "good players" are going to be affected by this system, on a mass scale, and all end up in Donkeytown---this seems highly unlikely to me.

#2 2023-07-18 15:40:40

squishysquid

Re: Why "Five Years" isn't really "Five Years"

I think it's mostly people thrown by fud, curse my baby isn't a thing anymore, and the people just having weird minor altercations doesn't actually happen that much.

When looking at the data since the total curse count was fixed you have a couple guys running around with top tuesday was a guy with 58 and another with 60 http://publicdata.onehouronelife.com/pu … uesday.txt

friday, saturday, sunday, monday I didn't see anyone over 20, the vast majority seem under 5-10 last thursday there's a couple 20 ranges.

couple people I think just psyoping the worry around. you'd need to let this go with the new system a few months-years to actually see if there's a real problem though.

guess could knock curses from accounts that haven't played in three months off the total for radius purposes.

There is the unknown risk or that one guy with some unknown n number of argentina 74 cent ones just cycling logins to curse people to blow the curse count up. But at 15 minutes a curse multiboxing etc, that'd take a lot of effort, why not make them waste time doing it first.

Last edited by squishysquid (2023-07-18 16:10:10)

#3 2023-07-19 02:22:04

Shady
Banned

90% of the server has me cursed... ._.

I am Shady, I love exploring the internet.

#4 2023-07-19 02:31:11

mikeyreza

Well buddy I guess 5 years IS FIVE YEARS!!!

Pine panel walls no longer require one rope each!

#5 2023-07-19 02:39:13

fug

Shady wrote:

90% of the server has me cursed... ._.

You are the most cursed player for a reason. Your rampant griefing got yourself there and now your choices are to either pay Jason money or play low pop/in donkey town. I get you're a kid and obviously didn't think things through but this is what happens when you're an ass to people. Jason has taught you a pretty valuable life lesson.

In regards to the curse thing, I think I was mostly worried about carry over curses from the last three months between /die baby cursers and the potential of other curses. I personally curse traded (instead of cursing someone off screen purposely would curse trolls such as Shady to their face so they would curse back to make it a 2 way block) but from the sounds of everything someone like me is going to be fine and someone like Shady is fubar. From the stats it seems like there doesn't need to be a wipe of the curses thankfully.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2023-07-19 03:41:31

Shady
Banned

There are way worse griefers out there, just because I'm most cursed doesn't mean I'm the worst.

#7 2023-07-19 03:43:37

Shady
Banned

I wouldn't call it a life lesson, just because you're older than me doesn't mean you can start talking shit to me trying to pretend you're all mature. Nobody is learning life lessons from a game about civilization building.

#8 2023-07-19 04:36:00

squishysquid

Shady wrote:

There are way worse griefers out there, just because I'm most cursed doesn't mean I'm the worst.

the other ones probably just have multiple accounts so it's spread across them. If I had to guess the 20/60 guys are probably them, but I don't really do that collect peoples hashes nonsense, so I can't confirm.

like I keep telling people how to do it right, but they really do be writing them down in notepad and ctrl+f'ing the dataset @.@

Last edited by squishysquid (2023-07-19 04:38:05)

#9 2023-07-19 07:48:48

selalov734

Shady a lot of people have cursed you because they don't want to play with you.

If Jason were to "unban" you a lot of other people would suffer because of it.
So Jason has to choose between 1 person being pissed (you) or many other innocent people being pissed, i think the choice is obvious.

#10 2023-07-19 12:34:02

Shady
Banned

I wouldn't t say suffer, you all seem consistent with trying to find out if I have an alt or not, tracking down my every move. Its unhealthy for you to be stalking me. (specifically, mingo)

#11 2023-07-19 12:36:26

Shady
Banned

And I don't know who would suffer besides you, if I knew I would end up in dt for 5 years I wouldn't have griefed, and frankly the update was unexpected. Me being a person with one account the wise thing to do would be to stop griefing. But if Jason believes that with these new sets of game functions specifically targeted towards griefers, that I'd still grief he can keep me in for as long as he wants.

#12 2023-07-19 13:18:07

Strilar

Shady wrote:

Nobody is learning life lessons from a game about civilization building.

I tend to not try to feed the trolls but I would like to comment on this... we can learn a LOT from games, and the beauty of OHOL is that we can actually learn a LOT from it, both as how to be better human beings and about many things about real life (heck, I didn't even knew what "milkweed" was before I played this game)

Another thing I love about OHOL and why I find it to be so special, is that unlike many other multiplayer online games out there (League of Legends, Grand Theft Auto, Rust, etc) where people are can be toxic, mean to each other, 95% of the people here tend to be nice, friendly and helpful. (and if you prefer games to be mean to other players maybe you should try one of those?)

Like people said, actions have consequences, if you bully other students at school, if you're rude to a colleague at work, if you mistreat your parents and family, you are marked as a bad person and people don't want to be near you.

This is an important life lesson, if you're in the beach, some kid is making a sand castle and you just show up and kick the castle down, i assure you that you won't have good results. If you treat others with a good heart and kindness you are much more likely to make better friends in life.

Oh and for the record.. the famous game(s) called "Civilization" from Sid Meier which obviously is also about civilization building, may be considered one of the games with great educational value in the world.

If you're not learning anything from OHOL, it's because you're so focused on your own interests that you're not paying attention, because i really believe this game can help people being more nice and caring about each other as human beings, which is a great thing in a modern society that still has so much hatred and discrimination.

#13 2023-07-19 17:46:17

mikeyreza

Great point Strilar. And let me add one more thing.

Shady, if people don't like you, not only will they not want to be near you, they will never listen to you. It doesn't matter if you make an amazing point here and you totally rhetorically own us. Nobody here is ever going to listen or change their mind. We don't like you, so we don't want to play with you.

If I were you, I'd just log off the forums permanently and just move on to a new game/community (like Strilar suggested). If you wanna continue whining, do it in your emails or messages to Jason. Because we don't care to hear it anymore.

#14 2023-07-19 18:10:01

Shady
Banned

Everything I say goes right through your skull, AS A PERSON WITH A SINGLE ACCOUNT, IT WOULD BE DUMB TO GRIEF AFTER BEING LET OUT.

#15 2023-07-19 18:20:45

mikeyreza

i dont care

#16 2023-07-19 18:40:21

Shady
Banned

So you admit to just being petty

#17 2023-07-19 19:16:13

Strilar

I would like to remind of forum policies:

Jason wrote:

Update:  I've had kind of a change of heart about this.
In all of the main areas, you are a guest in my house.  Act like it.  Be nice.  Be welcoming.  Don't be mean.  Don't attack each other.   Don't shout.  Don't use offensive or inflamatory language that is out of step with the cultural climate here.  Don't be disruptive.  Don't clutter the space with stuff that's not about the game.  Don't troll.  Don't derail discussions with irrelevant points.  Don't repeat yourself.  One exception is off-topic, where you can post stuff that's not about the game, but still follow the rest of the rules.  Act like you would act if you were out in my backyard, where you're welcome to do some things that you wouldn't do inside my house, like play volleyball.  The other exception is the-street, which is totally unregulated.  Literally the public street.  Please take your anger and fights out there.  Mods, just ignore the-street.

At the moment you wrote 22 posts here, i went to check them all, over more than half of them were mean, insulting, rude or attacking others.
I wouldn't be surprised if you got banned from this forum too, since you obviously can't follow the "be nice" rules anywhere.

#18 2023-07-19 19:18:40

mikeyreza

oh jeez you got me Shady. I'm PETTY! Now Jason will have no choice but to remove all of your curses, all because mikeyreza on the forums is "petty."

I'm trying to teach you something Shady, just give up. You're making a fool of yourself by continuing to whine on the forums, you're not going to make any progress or change any minds. It doesn't matter if you promise that you'll stop griefing if you got your curses removed, you griefed and now you're facing the consequences. Plenty of people who go to prison cry that they'll never do anything bad again, but that's not a good legal defense. Why? Because,

A. They still did something bad, and should be punished

B. Most people who do bad things are not trustworthy people

You are the most cursed person in the game, maybe in the history of OHOL. You have wrecked the experiences of countless players, ruining their towns and their hard work. And as far as I know, you haven't even apologized. Just said you wouldn't do it again. Even if you never do anything wrong again (I would NOT bet money on that being the case), you don't deserve to be able to play this game normally. Not for however long it takes for your curses to wear off.

If I was Jason, I would've banned you from the forums, discord, and blocked you from emailing me. Luckily for you, and unluckily for us, Jason is far kinder and wiser than I. But, you continue to take advantage of that by whining and crying. Anyway, this is the last time I'm going to respond to this thread, and I suggest nobody else interact with you either.

#19 2023-07-19 20:15:00

Shady
Banned

You are just being petty, grow up

#20 2023-07-19 20:22:00

Shady
Banned

Everything you say is demeaning and you have nothing good to say or do but type out sentence after sentence about how you hate me. You don't even know what I did

#21 2023-07-20 21:27:04

Caprys

Why don't you give grievers their own race? They are the perfect enemy. Make them a threat to our survival that comes from the outside instead of being born into our own families.  Grievers can do a lot of harm because they are born into our families. They can hide in plain sight. You wont know that uncle Bob is a griever until by chance you see him grief and then you can't even stop him immediately because you are not the leader.
If grievers with enough curses are born into a seperate race then they can do a lot less damage to our families, because they will have to work for their own survival, they will have to travel to us instead of being born inside our families, we can recognise them as the enemy. They can kill us, but we can also kill them. Let them be the bandits, let them have fun being the bad guys.

#22 2023-07-20 21:58:44

Laggy

Jason should have to make this whole curse thing known when someone buys the game.

Sorta shady how he has secret magic systems.

Also, I agree wtih Shady that the curses should be cleared because of this change.

Jason wants to change the rules of the game and make it proactive to appease a minority of players.

The Rule change should have automatically been a clearing of curses.

You changed all the rules Jason, now make it right.

No one should be cursed for 5 years after they /died to the wrong person.

#23 2023-07-21 02:49:12

Marquis

Caprys wrote:

Why don't you give grievers their own race? They are the perfect enemy.

For me, it’s because I don’t want to play that game. I agree, what you’ve laid out is a better way to do “us vs them”. But I like it as the cooperative game it’s self-described as.

Laggy wrote:

Jason should have to make this whole curse thing known when someone buys the game.

Something like this:
“By the way, play nice or other players might ban you from playing with them. If enough people ban you, you’ll be playing alone.”

And someone else would say:
“I don’t want to play if I can’t force people to play with me.”

I’m fine with that.

Laggy wrote:

We’ll, if you want to honor what the rules meant when people made the curse then the curses before X expire after 3 months, and curses after X expire after 20 months.

#24 2023-07-22 03:53:55

ru

Laggy wrote:

Sorta shady how he has secret magic systems.

Also, I agree wtih Shady that the curses should be cleared because of this change.

Jason wants to change the rules of the game and make it proactive to appease a minority of players.

You changed all the rules Jason, now make it right.

No one should be cursed for 5 years after they /died to the wrong person.

The active curse totals were cleared a couple weeks ago due to a mistake. At that time, all of the main griefers were free from Donkey Town and you know what they did? They went on a wild griefing spree destroying towns, kidnapping babies, luring bears, dropping boars, killing people, and then they alternated to their alts once they started regaining curses. I think that was evidence enough that your suggestion is terrible.

#25 2023-07-22 07:42:58

Laggy

So punish everyone that /died and was cursed for 5 years also?

"It is better a hundred guilty persons should escape than one innocent person should suffer." Benjamin Franklin

Board footer