One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-04 07:18:08

fug

Gate town apocalypse

So me and Jason once had a conversation on what makes for an interesting story in game and tonight definitely ventured into the territory of a very uniquely ohol experience.

Basically an apocalypse group decided to barricade an abandoned town with two sets of property fences as a means to prevent anyone outside of their group from getting into the area where they were sheltering their apocalypse tower. This thing was huge and probably had at least a few hundred property gates that were passed back and forth via two accounts sheltering in the area only birthing the other account then rinse and repeating births over and over again.

Basically under normal circumstances if the player using his two accounts was willing to sit around for 24 hours (I believe they were basically tagging off with others in the group to afk) this would have been an unstoppable apocalypse due to no players being able to breach any of the gates as currently in game there is no way to deconstruct a gate without having ownership (thus the github request to make a means to dismantle them)

So here's the funny thing, while the apocalypse group was smart enough to use an item that couldn't be deconstructed, they didn't actually do their homework to know that it's possible to jam a player onto an impassible object. Because Jason had never actually patched how plays work players were able to get on top of the 1 tile thick gates, proceed to slide the plane over then breach the second wall as well. At this point the apocalypse attempt was over after reaching T3 tower.

This of course skips all the hard work the anti-apocalypse group had to do to get this stuff prepped but honestly this made for an actual interesting story that you only ever experience in ohol. Two different exploits were used by two different groups to attempt to both end and save the world.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2023-06-04 07:34:43

fug

Re: Gate town apocalypse

243155625-503735d9-d4b1-4f97-8952-5774a764d32e.png
243155670-90126972-437a-4776-afb3-11f4ff27bb74.png
image.png?width=697&height=662

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2023-06-04 08:53:44

MrMendeleev

Yes, it was interesting to plan for the apocalypse and think about it. Unfortunately, I was sleeping when the anti-apocalypse people stormed in. I'd love to see it myself, adrenaline pumping as you first spot one on the edge of the screen, followed by more and more.

baby-incide-the-fence.png

I have mixed feelings about you recognizing only your efforts and submitting a github request about our exploit. It's easy to root for the winners, but we made a good effort.

I believe this was some prime experience, and i value stories this game can sometimes provide.

Speaking of in-game knowledge and "do their homework," knowledge about exploits is difficult to come by, and double fencing was the best way to obtain it.

Thank you to everyone who took part on both sides, gg wp.

#4 2023-06-04 14:33:14

Marquis

fug wrote:

Two different exploits were used by two different groups to attempt to both end and save the world.

Is the wall of property gates considered an “exploit”? Property gates don’t decay. It looks to me like the apoc followed the rules.

I’m more inclined to consider using the Wondible map an exploit. (Just presuming  that’s the only way to find the towers.)

Sorry, I’m probably being pedantic. Personally, I enjoy fighting Mother Nature most. I understand the fun these scenarios present. But what, relatively a handful of players ever participate? High stakes are good for adrenaline, but if the balance of power is out of wack I get demoralized or apathetic.

Anyways, I play once a week. So most of this stuff blows right past me. I should probably abstain. Carry on.

#5 2023-06-04 16:54:37

Tarr
Banned

You are absolutely not intended to make an entire fort out of gates. Like it’s both a logical fail and a flavor fail for the best building material for walls to be gates. Neither side should have an unencounterable means of stopping the other. The apocalypse is about two sides fighting it out, not one dude afking on two accounts inside a bunch of gates.

Both exploits should be patched between planes and gates. Also anything that blocks needs to be able to be removed in some fashion as well such as stable bell tower bases as that’s the next sort of thing to be used in these sorts of attempts. I would hate to see the server arc be reset because Jason didn’t fix an underlying issue with how certain items work.

This attempt still would have been stopped without wondibles map because it was rather lazily only put 2-3k away from everything. I’d feel more inclined for the rings to start one stage later if it wasn’t for the fact that you need some sort of time to prepare the bits needed to stop an apocalypse.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2023-06-04 19:47:13

Marquis

Tarr wrote:

…an unencounterable means…

Makes perfect sense. I was definitely being pedantic, or semantic. Probably both.

Tarr wrote:

The apocalypse is about two sides fighting it out…

Is it? I can believe it’s supposed to be. I guess that’s what the greater discussion is about.

Maybe it’s a failure of my imagination, but I only see the apocalypse as some defectors trying to break everything. The game doesn’t provide factions with some power dynamic. You are born seamingly randomly. Then you live like a parasite until you’re strong enough to kill your host. If this wasn’t the case I would get born and wonder am I in a good guy town or a bad guy town. What role did I get today? Oh, looks like we could use more stone blocks.

#7 2023-06-04 19:49:20

MaNix_

I agree that gates needs to be fixed, but then apoc will be really impossible

Tarr wrote:

Neither side should have an unencounterable means of stopping the other.

Do you think wondible map is a surmountable condition? Or open to everyone daily server logs? There are many people who want to deny apoc and they using mods or map. It's unfair.

Tarr wrote:

The apocalypse is about two sides fighting it out, not one dude afking on two accounts inside a bunch of gates.

There will never be more than 10 people for the apoc. Even gathering 5 people is a BIG achievement. And you want these 5 people to fight against the WHOLE server??
Just imagine how you would try to make apoc yourself and finally understand that you would not have a damn chance

#8 2023-06-05 04:36:49

Tarr
Banned

I mean the apocalypse is meant to be a player related means to wipe the server. A small group deciding to wipe the server =/= to a mass group deciding to wipe it. Every time we see a group wanting to wipe the server it's a small group. You guys need to get a majority group to wipe instead of a small group of new players trying to wipe it.

Exploiting an attempt should be met with others exploiting the game lol.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2023-06-05 12:08:51

Arcurus

Marquis wrote:
Tarr wrote:

…an unencounterable means…

Maybe it’s a failure of my imagination, but I only see the apocalypse as some defectors trying to break everything. The game doesn’t provide factions with some power dynamic. You are born seamingly randomly. Then you live like a parasite until you’re strong enough to kill your host. If this wasn’t the case I would get born and wonder am I in a good guy town or a bad guy town. What role did I get today? Oh, looks like we could use more stone blocks.

Lol, yea, currently Jason nerved the combat so much that there is nearly no combat or fraction anymore.

You still can declare a war, but there is no true combat left, just leadership execution's.

Therefore I made a new custom server called Open Life Reborn trying to avoid artificial limits like leadership mechanics, race restrictions, family iron / well and so on and so on. Its a limited map, so you can fight for resources.
The property system is not yet fully implemented, but right now you can already lock doors and chests and unlock them without a key if you have the same account. The goal is, that you can somehow fortify (basically hungry work plus adding more material) all kinds of doors, gates and walls and others can then try to break the fortification.

Right now there are already Ai villages which will defend their village and that you can hire to support you for in game currency.

Feel free to try it out!

Last edited by Arcurus (2023-06-05 12:09:23)

#10 2023-06-05 18:45:56

fug

MaNix_ wrote:

There will never be more than 10 people for the apoc. Even gathering 5 people is a BIG achievement. And you want these 5 people to fight against the WHOLE server??
Just imagine how you would try to make apoc yourself and finally understand that you would not have a damn chance

I mean here's the funny thing is that I've attempted it in the past solo and got to t3 and was only stopped because Jason literally put all the players on the same server. I have plenty of experience with apocalypse making because I was trying to prove it was impossible when it the 24 hour restriction was put on it.

Even without wondibles map you still have to babysit the thing for 12 hours because it's going to give everyone on the server a bell marker pointing to the apocalypse. I find it goofy that you're complaining that 5 people are having to fight off the whole server when you guys are choosing to try to wipe the server. Do you really people to just let you do that uncontested?

This is a repeating cycle where new people pop up and decide they want to decide to try to wipe the server for whatever reason and veterans come in stop it. People on both sides have complained forever that nothing lasts, then when towns are stable people complain nothing is fresh, then we bounce back and forth.

I reiterate this over and over again. We are 5 years into ohol everything will be built back up in hours after a wipe. This games early game is perfected at this point and the only thing going to make things difficult is a new player boom. I hear people cry they want to build fresh but I never see anyone saying how much fun they're having on server 1 where nothing is built up when the option occurs.

The apocalypse is doable when it is needed. We've come together to wipe the server before when Jason botched an update so when the community decides together to wipe the apocalypse can go off.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer