One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-05 23:46:34

LiberatedAmon

Stew Stand

I have been working on a project. A dedicated place to make and dispense stew. I have found that a 1H1L kitchen can be a very laggy place. This is usually not because of too many people working in the kitchen, but rather, too many freeloaders, frequenting the kitchen for food. I've noticed, that in just about every town, stew and broth are made right outside the kitchen just sitting in the yard, surrounded by junk.

My solution is to create a dedicated spot for stew prep and service, away from the main kitchen. In general, I like to be on the opposite side of the farm, from the kitchen. At first I tried large buildings, with adobe walls for boxes and tables for.. stuff. But i have found an ideal size is 6x6. The walls should be complete on 3 sides, with the side facing the farm, fully open. Giving 4x5 of floor space. Adobe is okay, but i found shelfs to be unnecessary, so stone works well. As well as for the floor, since wood is a much hotter commodity. If i have to start from scratch, I can usually finish the build and get a pot of stew going in one life time.

There are only a few tools needed on site, which is why i stopped worrying about storage space. A plate is needed for squash and beans. A hatchet or ax is needed for squash and kindling. A stone is used for crushing beans. And two bowls are needed for soaking beans, but trying to keep tool bowls from being taken for eating is not always easy. A bucket of water should be kept on hand for soaking beans and filling the dry stew pot. Also needed, is a flint chip for cutting corn and picking squash. The last tool, and most often stolen tool, is a shaft for getting fire. These tools can each have a space of kitchen floor without causing too much clutter to work.

Four crocks are good but five gives an extra one, to work on while you wait for one to get emptied. The stew should be put along the outer edge so that people can come up and take stew without needing to go into the prep area. Not that it will actually stop them from wandering in anyhow. The three full walls also help in stopping people from running through the kitchen just to get from one side to the other. Keeping bowls stocked out front can be tricky, since, like i said, i like to build at the edge of the farm, and farmers love using bowls.

Once the stew stand is set up, it becomes like a little known restaurant that not many people come to, but those that find it keep coming back. But it needs the care of others once i die. I don't care to /die over and over, just to get back to the same family. So, I'll just make a new stand in a new town. But when i do return to an old stand, things can be pretty bleak. At best, it is abandoned and no longer serving stew, tools and crocks pilfered and gone. At worst some one will half destroy the building. So, I'm writing this, in hope of reaching other stew cooks out there that could appreciate such a building. If you see a little abandoned shack of stone, on the edge of the farm, it may have been a nice stew stand at one point. And now you know the details of how to get it up and running again.

Stew is a great food source. There are two servings per bowl, and I've never needed more than three servings to get my health back to full. Sometimes, you may need to farm the veggies yourself. I try to get them going in the plots closest to the building. As for broth, let the kitchen keep it.

#2 2023-02-08 23:22:15

Marquis

Re: Stew Stand

I love the idea of dedicated food huts. I’m trying to make a pie cafe, myself.

If you really want to cut down on the foot traffic through your work zone, maybe try this. Make that farm side wall out of tables and load them up with the bowls of stew. Now you can empty one crock of stew at a time instead of having five crocks half empty and taking up space. Plus the mass of bowls people see being used for stew may tip them off to leaving those bowls for that purpose. I know for myself if I can’t tell if a tool is dedicated to an area I’m eyeballing it for myself.

And now you’ll need a door on the back, but make sure it doesn’t have a spring. That way the pathing algorithm doesn’t send them around back if they accidentally click inside. (You’ll have to manually close it behind you. That’s the price you pay for privacy.)

LiberatedAmon wrote:

… I've never needed more than three servings to get my health back to full. …

You *could* fill up with multiple servings, but of course you’re yum chaining, right?

Just kidding (also not kidding). Keep up the good work!

#3 2023-02-08 23:43:12

ruanna

My contribution to dedicated food huts.

6zCpHz2.png

#4 2023-02-14 23:35:54

LiberatedAmon

I really don't see the point of chasing yum, once you have a town producing plenty of food. Too many food options and so many of them are so convoluted on how you finally get the food in the belly. Stew is so easy and so filling. Not so easily portable though.

#5 2023-02-15 13:28:58

QuirkySmirkyIan

Just stand in a building with clothes, a cow, buckets, and lots of corn...  You could easily survive with less than 2 buckets of water costed to live.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#6 2023-02-15 13:32:47

QuirkySmirkyIan

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

Just stand in a building with clothes, a cow, buckets, and lots of corn...  You could easily survive with less than 2 buckets of water costed to live.

The clothes would likely be the most expensive thing needed to live in a box with a cow. Around 3 buckets of milk if new fam or around 12 buckets of milk if old fam

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

Board footer