One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-03 17:18:27

CatX

Suggestion: Leadership and achievements

I have not read through all older threads regarding this topic, so I apologize if this has been suggested before (or if I misunderstand the mechanics.)

But I would like to propose a small addition to the leadership mechanism.

I have been picked as leader by the system even when there were older available family members who knew what they were doing, unlike me. I assume that is because after several lives staying in peaceful and advanced towns, yumming, having babies and caring for them, my gene score might be high enough. But to lead a town it's also good to know other important information, like what is needed to fix a well or build an engine to mine iron - and where to get it.

So my suggestion is to keep gene score as part of the equation, but also take game achievements into account.

The achievements would be specific to the server, so if you play on a different server you need to build them up from scratch, which shouldn't take too long for experienced players.

If you haven't played in years, maybe they should reset.

In light of their function as a guide to picking leaders, I suggest achievements keep track of:
- types of foods cooked
- types of clothes produced
- types of tools crafted
- types of walls, roads and floors built
- types of animals killed
- types of engines built (including the steps leading up to the engine itself)
- stages of well tech

- and I'm sure many other things a leader should know but that I'm not aware of.

I realize this could make the town more vulnerable to griefers though, so if the general view is that the current system works fine to keep griefers out of leadership positions, my idea might weaken it. However, I have considered /die-ing just to get my gene score down so that I don't compete with experienced players for leadership positions.

#2 2023-01-03 19:58:57

Eve Troll

Re: Suggestion: Leadership and achievements

Tech evaluated leadership was suggested as soon as leadership was introduced. But that likely was too much work and too much server lag to make it viable, while a one stat leadership system was easy to introduce.

Still trash and the genescore/eve system still promotes the wrong attributes in a strong player. Having and raising babies is not the most important thing. Stabilizing society through tech and food production is, sometimes that means not wasting time on raising kids when society is collapsing.

Sacrificing personal benefit for the needs of society is the true meaning of being a leader and those are the veteran players with the worst gene score. The people who should be eves. The people who's potential should shine.

This was brought up years ago when these systems were introduced. Dont wage your bets on anything happening. The last time this game got any real development was years ago.

#3 2023-01-03 22:23:03

Arcurus

Tech evaluated leadership should be easy to implement and would not produce any lag. Still not sure if it would be a good thing to do.

One Open Life Reborn the gene score is replaced by YUM score and YUM score of your followers / kids / grandkids.
So leaders who have great YUM and tons of followers will have high scores. Each child / follower is always positive, there is only a negative impact if you attack them without exiling them first.

There is also score from up to i think 10 generations if you have a grave. So fixing the well and all would matter a lot since it counts many generations for score.

Last edited by Arcurus (2023-01-03 22:24:06)

#4 2023-01-03 22:50:27

CatX

That sounds interesting Arcurus, but I suppose you need a large group of both new and experienced players online at once to see how it plays out.

But I'm a little unsure if yum would help. I can get good bonuses if I'm born into a well developed town, built by people who know what they are doing, with all kinds of foods already available and all the time in the world to explore what there is to eat. Having a good leader as well benefits me and my offspring. But it doesn't mean I'll be a good leader in my next life.

A tech evaluation - just as a part of a bigger calculation, whether based on genes or yum or blessings or something else - would let the system know that I have the basic knowledge necessary. Because right now it might be I just got lucky, and the more knowledgeable player might be a better choice.

Last edited by CatX (2023-01-03 22:54:18)

#5 2023-01-06 17:05:18

Arcurus

Sure tech evaluation is possible and could give a hint who knows the game.

Would be nice if more players test out the new yum based system.
Currently AI can run more or less a hole village from farming, pottery, baking, mining, smithing, hunting and so on. So it would be possible to simulate some more advanced leader stuff.

Board footer