One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-14 01:54:58

CelesticLeo

[Tutorial] Private Single Player Sever

Hi everyone! Here is a little guide that will teach you how to make a private OHOL server thanks to Awbz.

Feel free to ask questions or confirm information about running a private server for others too see!
With Jason back and updating I'm looking for someone to pick up where Awbz left off. 

If anyone does please give me a ping so I can update the thread with the latest release!
Tutorial

First, you will need to download the latest release for your PC type. My Pc is a Windows.
It can be found here: https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife/releases/
Once you have downloaded the files you will need to extract the "OneLife_v365" file folder onto your desktop via WinRAR or any other extracting program.

Open the extracted folder and locate the "server" folder.
Right-click  "runServer.bat" and click "run as administrator"
It will then open up a command prompt-looking program. It will create some files/soft links you will need to play the game.
Once you see "Listening for Connection on Port #(there will be a number here)" you can then close the .bat file.

Before you go any further, now is a good time to change some settings. For instance, I made my eve spawn age 18 and for one year of my life to be a week in real life time. If you wish to do so go to the "server" folder and find the "settings" folder. In this folder, there are a ton of things you can tweak to your liking.

If you wish to change your Eve's spawn age (Which I recommend) it is under "forceEveAge.ini" [ I changed mine from 0 to 18 ]
If you wish to change your life span then it is under "secondsPerYear.ini" [ I changed mine from 60 to 604800 ]

Afterward make sure "requireClientPassword.ini" and "requireTicketServerCheck.ini" are set to 0

After you have tweaked your settings run the .exe program "OneLifeServer.exe" located in the "server" folder. If it runs and then immediately shuts offs you need to delete all database files (they will have the ending tag .db) i.e "biome.db"
Once you have deleted all the .db files you then need to relaunch "OneLifeServer.exe"

"OneLifeServer.exe" should now stay open. This is your server. It has to be open and running for you to connect to it.
After your server is running you then need to launch either "OneLife.exe" (Vanillia) or "OneLife+.exe" (modded) from the "OneLife_v365" folder.

Once you launch the game you then need to click the settings button on the left side.
Check the "use custom server" box and make sure the server name is "localhost"

Return back to the login screen. If the Login and passcode boxes are not grayed out then type some random letters in both boxes.
After you have typed some random letters in both boxes, click "Login".

The game will first bring you to the tutorial world. If you haven't played it before and you are a beginner then give it a shot. Once you die you will then click "respawn". It will then respawn you in the survival challenge world. Skip this world by walking west and dying once again. After you die from that world you will officially spawn in your own server.

With some testing I have found (After four death, and reloading) you will respawn in the same area.
However, as of now, I am not sure if this is always the case. You can change your Eve's respawn place in the "settings" folder as well just to be safe. I have not tested that yet.

!IMPORTANT!

When closing your server, click the program and press [CTRL+C] to prevent corruption of your world.
Whenever you are done playing I would put away all items you were using/holding on to if you intend to just quit. I do not know if logging off without death will despawn them.

Unknown Answers

• I do not know how to have friends join you as this is typed.

• I do not know if in between your deaths if it affects the decay of items. I have seen in some articles they lose clothing. There may be a way to tweak this.

Original Article I found | My Help Post

Last edited by CelesticLeo (2023-07-06 21:35:28)

#2 2022-10-31 02:15:02

reggerbob

Re: [Tutorial] Private Single Player Sever

I am on a mac and cannot find the server folder. Any ideas?

#3 2022-10-31 09:21:41

jinbaili83

relese OHOL+_v365_win_full has server files but its windows only.
Probably the easiest option is to use windows emulator to run it on Mac

#4 2022-11-30 12:43:33

MUAZAI

I can't find the OneLifeServer file in the Server folder.What should i do? I am so stupid

#5 2023-01-26 12:11:03

w0wma

necroing this just to make sure that people see this if they want a private server.

#6 2023-04-18 05:22:45

DarklyBot

Every time I try and start up OneLifeServer.exe or runServer.bat it just crashes with the One Hour One Life has stopped working thing (even after I delete all the .db files)

#7 2023-04-18 19:21:17

jinbaili83

Did you run runServer.bat as Admin? It need admin right for first run to create some files.

#8 2023-04-20 21:04:20

DarklyBot

That worked, thank you so much

Board footer