One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-21 01:18:14

Historian

Looking for your tales!

Greetings travelers. I would like to compile some short (or not so short) stories about the lives that have been lived here; good, bad, ugly, or just plain funny. They can be about things that happened to you, things you made happen on others, your family lineage, something you witnessed, whatever.

Show me what you got.

#2 2022-04-21 01:27:39

fug

Re: Looking for your tales!

I would recommend checking out: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=710

This is stories all from the start of the game. It stopped being popular at some point but has many tales from plenty of vets and other people.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2022-04-21 01:32:59

Historian

fug wrote:

I would recommend checking out: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=710

This is stories all from the start of the game. It stopped being popular at some point but has many tales from plenty of vets and other people.

Excellent, thank you!

#4 2022-04-28 23:31:56

GeminiRai

I'm pretty new! Yesterday's story had me reeling, though I doubt I'll manage to convey it well enough to do the same.

----

I was born in a small room to a nice mother, who named me Mufasa, and marvelled at the name. I typically try to explore a bit, but while I was still in the nursery I was picked up by a strange man with a goatee, who quickly ran me out into the forest, stopping a safe distance away,

"Don't make a sound or you'll regret it."

".."

He kept running, further and further away, in mostly the same direction. Was I being kidnapped to be taken to another village? Being sold into slavery? Maybe this man was just sad that he wasn't born a woman, and really wanted a child. I wasn't really sure.

As my hunger gradually began to grow, he stopped and put me down by a tree. Maybe he had some berries in his backpack.

"F?"

"Hahaha! No."  "You're doomed now."

I ran as fast as my three year old legs could carry me, desperately hoping for a gooseberry bush, or an onion. Maybe I would be old enough to pick something up by the time I found it. But all I came across were carrots and burdocks my small fingers couldn't dig from the earth.

Soon, I perished.

---

Gradually, I openned my eyes to a familiar sight, and a slightly familiar face. I was being born again in the very same room I'd just been taken away from. Gripped with fear, I checked the doors. That goateed face was just returning.

I tugged at my mother's skirt.
"H" "l" "p"

He entered the room, and I scrambled to the far corner.
"K" "n" "p" "r"

The kidnapper heard my words, and tried to grab at me, but I ducked back just in time.

As I grew, my messages became easier to understand.
"He" "Kd" "Me" "Ki" "dn" "ap" "pr"

My mother had seen him take two children from the nursery, and now suspected the nefarious intent.

"I" "Mu" "Fa" "Sa"

The village scrambled, I continued shouting my babbled pleas, and my mother explained to the village leader. Who, after only small deliberation, exiled the man, and called for a knife.

The goateed man laughed. "I was only bringing them love." "Death is love."

There were no knives in the village, and the man would periodically make as if to flee, but always returned to share his taunts.

The village continued to try to find some way to remove the monster from our midst, minutes passing with excrutiating slowness.

Suddenly one appeared with a bow ... a man named Amadeus, wearing the same face as the monster. I became paralyzed with fear. What..what was happening? I'd never seen his name. But the monster was clearly this one, I'd named him, and he'd as much as confessed. Clearly there should be no confusion here. So I grew silent, rather than raising my childish doubts.

In nary a minute, the task was done, the hero wearing the face of the monster carrying a bloody bow, the cursed kidnapper bellowing some choice last words, and I was left with my purpose fulfilled, but doubt in my heart.

I slowly wandered in the small house between the nursery and the kitchen. Idling through the choices, keeping myself alive with the most efficient choices I could, trying to minimize my burden to the town while feeling utterly incapable of contributing from the shock of the experience, I'd hardly registered the fact that I had a different name now, and was born a female. And so it was an entirely different sort of surprise that I welcomed a daughter.

With renewed vigor and sense of purpose I immediately took to the task. So I held her close and showed her everything I knew about the place. I admitted I was quite shaken myself, and so didn't have much to say, but I showed her the farms, the kitchen, the nursery, the forges, and the graveyard. In the graveyard I shared a short version of my story about the kidnapper, and my private doubts about Amadeus(with the addendum that he's probably fine). And when her hair grew, I set her down, letting her know she was old enough now to pick things up, saw her pick up a stone as confirmation, and wished her luck.

I never saw little Emilia again. She starved at 13, her last words may well have been those she said to me "Ty"

But no sooner had my daughter headed off to her journey than I welcomed another, this time with the auspicious notification that she was entirely new to the game.

I named my baby Evelyn, held her and told her how much I cared about her, and would teach her everything I could. She sweetly replied with the baby's H(ellos) and T(hanks), and I set about teaching her about how to eat the most yummy food, how to cycle through the kitchen boxes to find the best pies, how to exchange items with the ground, as well as the standard tour of our village. I let her know that my knowledge was not the most complete, and our village was small, but that we had food, and it was good.

As I was teaching her I had three more babies, and hastily named them as quick as I could, and tried to include them in the explanations and tours. The first left us immediately before I could pick her up, and I explained to my baby Evelyn how if our children choose to leave, that is the result. But the other two stayed, and I tried to juggle between them to keep them fed.

Unfortunately, I wasn't taking care of my own needs, my hunger was low, and I see no other explanation for how I lost my other two babies. One who I never managed to name, and poor sweet Litcy, who asked to be fed only to be left wanting. I fumbled with the kitchen trying to push some kind of food into her mouth when holding her had no effect. But I failed her. Her bones were swiftly carried away to the graveyard before I could so much as say goodbye, and I mourned in front of my daughter Evy, lamenting at being a terrible mother, and how overwhelmed and new to it all I was.

She took my words to heart, and kept sweet Litcy in hers as well. Soon she was off on her own adventures, and I was left to greet my only son Sam. He was not new to the game, but was to our village, so I gave him the tour, and noted how far along the path we seemed to be towards making compost. He understood the process, and so I suggested that as a fine path for him. Checking the time, I noted that I had about 15 years left, and asked if there was anything I could do to help him. He said there was not, so I pointed out his hair had grown, and he was off on adventures throughout the town. He lived a long good life. I greeted him occasionally, but never really knew what he was up to. Typical I suppose of those teenagers who already understand everything there is to know of the world.

Evy though was always sweetly engaging whenever I saw her. She welcomed four children of her own, my grandbabies, the first of which found herself our Lady Alice .. as in infant, and all of whom made it well past their child years. She was a wonderful mother, and helped her children with everything she could, and was very sweet to her children's grandma.

I did what I could for them as well, and when my time came, I felt my remains would burden the town, and so leaving all my clothes and possessions behind I headed off into the southwest, where I perished of old age in the desert.

---

Alice, my mother - "You are Beck."

Evelyn: "Has anyone seen my grandmother? I fear for her."

"M" "e"

She continued searching. It wasn't until I was 3 that I could string together my thoughts well enough to convince them.

"Have you seen my grandmother? I fear she may have passed."

"Its" "Me" "Gma"

"Is it you? Have you been reincarnated?"

"Yes"

And so I was able to add upon my roles, at once grandson and mother to my Evy, son and grandmother to our Lady Alice, Evy's daughter.

I don't remember much of the details of that life, but it was good, full of emotion, greetings and relaying of the town's needs. I helped to redirect some of our berry production from pies, and saw a thriving compost operation arise. I watched our well progress from a shallow well to a deep well. And I gave my sweet Evy my last advice to her as she passed into old age, to find herself another Yum food as her capacity began to fall.

And then Alice's daughter Daisya gave her another granddaughter, who she named while holding her. I could tell as soon as she began to speak that she was my Evy, but I didn't know her name, and shortly thereafter a stillbirth was carried away.

I panicked, searching for Daisya's face everywhere, to ask after Evy, though I could hardly utter the question.

"Is she...Evy...Did she..."

"No" "Its" "Me"

"Precious?"

"No" "Evy"

And so our roles continued, and she expanded in hers as she was granddaughter and mother to our Lady Alice, my mother, for that was how I knew her best now, my time being her grandmother far removed now that I was in my middle age as her son.

Alice was a lovely leader, very encouraging in her orders, and our town was prospering through most of her rule, but it was time for her to go. We gathered around, my setting hunger aside to be a part of it. As our Lady Alice departed this world, she knew who she wanted to succeed her.

Her last words: "I follow Precious"

And so it happened to my daughter Evelyn, brand new to life in her second incarnation, with her old uncle Beck as witness.

Laughing in my heart, I explained to her what her daughter/mother had just done, that she was now our village's Lady Precious, and taught her how to give Orders.

Her first official command was to tell everyone how great a job they were doing, and I headed off to the kitchen to quell the beeping in my belly.

Only ... there was no pie in the kitchen. Only plates of pie crust on the ground, and no fillings or kindling in sight. I frantically searched for something to eat, terror in my heart as I reached 0 pips, fearing I would lose my access to my multigenerational reincarnated family. The nursery's bowls too were empty. I'd already told them this would be my last life today, but if I didn't die of old age, I might not see them again. I'd had dreams of paper and lineages to share. With a mad dash to the farm I found some freshly sprouted gooseberries, and grasped at the lifeline they provided just in time to maintain it.

Well. It seems Precious has her first crisis to manage.

"Order, you're all doing great everybody!"
"Order, We will need more pies however."

I congratulated her on her excellent leadership, and progressed into old age. With a final survey of the town I sought to find what else she would need to manage. It seems our deep well was upgraded with a newcommen pump ... which now has a torn seal. I'd seen this situation in many lives before, and I still wasn't entirely clear on the solution. I knew it required rubber, which came from rubber trees, and it would involve a journey, but I didn't know where the jungle was, or how to get the rubber. I knew that one of our own had contracted yellow fever though, so they may be able to find it, and Precious was still young, she might yet see the solution. She wanted to go herself, wonderful leader that she was, but I reminded her that she had to stay in town. She was their leader, and so she needed to be available to receive problems and provide orders. She was also of childbearing years, and being in the village will make it easier to raise more children.

As this was my last life, I thought to tell my story in the nursery, about my wonderful family, my life as Mufasa, and the children I helped avenge. Then Daisya, Precious' mother, revealed that we were twins in my story, for she was the other child taken that first day by the monster. She wanted to be buried next to me, her twin, and I was honored to have it be so, and so we went to wait out our last days.

Only .. I wasn't quite clear on how many days I had left. We sat out in the graveyard, and my hunger began to fall. I laughed about perhaps needing a snack, and our friendly gravedigger provided me one, "Never deny an old man a request for snacks."

And my hunger fell some more, and again. I didn't want to press my need, the village needed its food, but I was at risk of losing my family ..

at the last moment -- "I...think I might be starving again..."

-----------------

YOU DIED

CAUSE: OLD AGE

Last edited by GeminiRai (2022-04-28 23:32:34)

#5 2022-05-05 02:25:46

Wood

I got one.

I dicked around for a bit till I came across someone drilling oil and decided to help them. I came back into town and there was bears and people saw me riding around and taking arrows. I was trying to kill the bears but people saw me at the wrong time and place and accused me.

I'd inherited some property earlier so I retreated there while they where all trying to kill me. I explained myself and they all still thought I was sus. I was trying to convince people I wasn't while hiding inside the place with all the valuable items that only I had access to.

In the end they at least let die with some dignity. By that I mean, stripping dude and hugging a boar rather then being murdered.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=8275565

Last edited by Wood (2022-05-19 02:24:34)

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

#6 2022-06-14 01:17:41

tifaclocxii

GeminiRai i remember the name mufasa i .. and i also remember amadeus and alice i think i was someone in that family

#7 2022-06-27 00:10:55

Haxwell Mouse

One of my first times playing was not an exciting or eventful story, it's about as common and plain as you could imagine, but I think a selfless teacher is worth writing about.  The hero is small, nothing goes right, but everything is well.

tldr: Old lady spends life teaching idiot daughter to cook and then starves.

FluxBB bbcode test
Virtue Sillyman named her final child Eriel and asked if she was new, and sighed when the reply was Y.  She equipped her daughter well, even putting a sliced pie inside a pack just in case, and then spent the following 20+ years teaching Eriel how to bake.  Eriel was eager, but not a very focused student, and she had 10 kids during this period (only a son and daughter survived), so Virtue had her hands full the entire time.  The last 10 years or so she taught Eriel some farming; she never finished.  Virtue was so focused on teaching that she didn't notice she was starving. The last thing she said during a lesson on compost was "now we wait" and then she was gone. 

Eriel put on the apron, scooped Virtue's bones into a basket and her daughter, Isabel, joined burying her in the graveyard at the North end of town.  Eriel spent the rest of her life harvesting wheat and getting the hang of making raw pies with the skills Virtue started teaching her over 50 years ago; she never finished.  She forgot to tend the fire and it went out, and with that there was no time left to finish her first pies.  She asked her son to get tinder and restart the fire for his sister's new baby, and began tidying up.  Finally Eriel put one of Virtue's sliced pies in her pack before she put it and her apron on her granddaughter, wished her good luck, and walked North.

Last edited by Haxwell Mouse (2022-06-27 00:14:05)

#8 2022-06-27 06:57:03

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I have a lot of stories but this is one of my favorites. This short little wholesome story is what ignited my love for this game has kept me hopeful about it since even thought it can be pretty sucky sometimes.

So this happened a long time ago when I was still pretty new to the game. I don't remember the town or the family name but it was an early gen town, Not Eve but we were still struggling. I was working on making pies but nobody was farming so I was basically doing both jobs trying to keep the town fed. I had a daughter, she was my only child that life and she was new. I named her Ruby. She asked how she could help and I really needed help so I spent the time to teach her how to make compost. I told her to just make as much as she could because we were burning through it and went back to work. A good amount of time passes and I'm well over 40 when I've finally filled the kitchen; so I go looking for her. I found her still by the sheep pen making compost, but now she has a son and she's teaching him how to make compost too.

I know it's stupid but in that moment I understood why this game was special. Like she's brand new but is still helping her own son learn what to do and how to play. That's just so cute and precious. Then also something I taught was being taught to someone else. It made me think about the person who taught me and wonder who taught them, and just the giant impact teaching one player could have on the game. I think I really fell in love with this game that life. Most of the life was stressful and tedious work but that one shining moment made it all worth it. That's basically OHOL in a nutshell. You play and work for hours and hours to find that one good life to keep you going.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2022-09-21 11:19:21

Morti

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I have a lot of stories but this is one of my favorites. This short little wholesome story is what ignited my love for this game has kept me hopeful about it since even thought it can be pretty sucky sometimes.

So this happened a long time ago when I was still pretty new to the game. I don't remember the town or the family name but it was an early gen town, Not Eve but we were still struggling. I was working on making pies but nobody was farming so I was basically doing both jobs trying to keep the town fed. I had a daughter, she was my only child that life and she was new. I named her Ruby. She asked how she could help and I really needed help so I spent the time to teach her how to make compost. I told her to just make as much as she could because we were burning through it and went back to work. A good amount of time passes and I'm well over 40 when I've finally filled the kitchen; so I go looking for her. I found her still by the sheep pen making compost, but now she has a son and she's teaching him how to make compost too.

I know it's stupid but in that moment I understood why this game was special. Like she's brand new but is still helping her own son learn what to do and how to play. That's just so cute and precious. Then also something I taught was being taught to someone else. It made me think about the person who taught me and wonder who taught them, and just the giant impact teaching one player could have on the game. I think I really fell in love with this game that life. Most of the life was stressful and tedious work but that one shining moment made it all worth it. That's basically OHOL in a nutshell. You play and work for hours and hours to find that one good life to keep you going.

<3

Board footer