One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-16 17:38:58

PeaGirl

The new people wave so far.

It has been a great chaos so far. It's actually amazing that people join to play in huge amount, but it has been really hard to keep playing as regular.
There has been very many things I've noticed people do or don't do which has made tech building even more harder than it would be. Of course I wish to not attack anyone in this matter, it's just something to look into second time and ponder tactical ways.
Tiny list of things I found people missed out:

1. Sorting items, having items of no use in abundance and rarer items nowhere to be found. In farming, sorting and keeping things tidy is especially important to keep grieving minimal. Carrot chaos is very common and seeing things seed all over the place is what often caused towns to die prematurely. In early game especially if you are in brown family, farm priority also requires venturing in dangerous dark green jungle to fetch and collect pepper, tomatoes and even sugar cane. Things like cucumber, carrots, corn and squash/pumpkin are in all fam lines accessible, but jungle items are exclusively important especially when it comes for pumping up yum chain.

2. Yum chain, it's understandable to not take it in note in early game, but in more sophisticated and advanced towns, munching meh food is what terrorizes the food availability the most. Having abundance is not enough as well. Having variety of food items is incredibly important as well. It's cook's most important task to make pies variety of greater than 2 and utilizing wheat both in bread and pie crust. Pie combinations like carrot, berry, rabbit, carrot berry, carrot rabbit, carrot rabbit berry count as different pies and at max has 6 different variant of yum.

3. Making base far away from well, finding well spot is vital for starting out a camp. Having well spot located will also give road hints to local iron mines which will be necessary. It's though important to give well enough space for later farm, and make at least 5-10 grid space for fire, kiln and oven. 

4. something else... I can't really think of any.

What are your own thoughts?

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#2 2022-04-16 20:12:28

Spoonwood

Re: The new people wave so far.

PeaGirl wrote:

3. Making base far away from well, finding well spot is vital for starting out a camp. Having well spot located will also give road hints to local iron mines which will be necessary. It's though important to give well enough space for later farm, and make at least 5-10 grid space for fire, kiln and oven.

So we're clear here, the farm should be close to the well.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2022-04-16 20:56:58

Eve Troll

Main issue with population rise is that the game has been formatted and developed around a small population of capable players. Since that base of around 20-30 players who keep things stable when population is low makes the game look easy, stable, or even proficient it has given jason the impression the game should be harder to keep up with these veteran players who have poured thousands of hours into the game. Instead of balancing it around the average player.

What has resulted is a system that collapses whenever there is a population spike. The game is built to be stable around 30-40 experienced players. Not 100 new players. What results is the experienced players have to work harder in ratio to the population spike rather than it be easier with more hands to help.

This causes veterans to become frustrated and stop playing until the population goes back down again. The more veterans that leave the harder and more unwelcoming the game becomes for new players. This system is often fatal to player retention and you see the population decline to about what it was before the spike in about a week.

Its happened time and time again. A lot of the best mothers stop playing because they want to keep their gene score up so they can eve. Having a bunch of new kids dying all the time will tank your score ans disable you from the benefits of a high score. Seems a bit counter intuitive, always has.

Its a serious issue and a main reason this game hasnt been able to retain players since before the rift. Before the temp update/warswords the game was stable with a few hundred people. It was a great time to play.

#4 2022-04-17 14:27:27

LilyFox

I noticed iron unlocking is a serious problem. Yesterday I was in several Eve towns that had either no iron veins at all, or only one at the furthest spot possible. I think the issue is, newish players only look for well sites near swamps and don't pay attention to iron because they don't know how the magic iron system works. Another thing that was clearly designed with only experienced players in mind.

Board footer