One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-10 21:24:11

Spoonwood

Why Is Iron Scrapping So Advanced?

So, let's say you end up as child of Eve early.  The Eve picks a spot with just one vein, or maybe two.  You make a smithing hammer.  Then you make a newcomen crude piston, a newcomen crude cylinder, and a boiler, since your family may likely want a newcomen pump eventually.  If you have another vein, you make another newcomen crude piston, another crude cylinder, another boiler, and a tank for a newcomen engine and extraction of water from the pump.

But, if such were actually to happen, a family isn't likely to get to a pump in either scenario, since they have to look for something made from steel in some place other than the mines that the family unlocked, which is even worse if this happened with child of Eve at server reset, since dead towns with iron at their veins or in town don't exist.  No shovel.  No tools to make a bucket, nor a knife, so rubber to make a newcomen engine to scrap those parts seems unlikely to get from another family.

I've never known this to happen in game, but why is this possible?  Is this a flaw of the scrapping system, the iron access system, or both?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2022-04-10 22:55:20

Eve Troll

Re: Why Is Iron Scrapping So Advanced?

I imagine its because that tech structure was built around the old iron system where iron was more accessable. Then the old tech wasnt adjusted for the new system.

#3 2022-04-11 05:31:07

LonelyNeptune

Today in very important Spoon discussions - if you deliberately get rid of all the iron, you won't have any iron left! Egads!

#4 2022-04-11 05:55:50

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Today in very important Spoon discussions - if you deliberately get rid of all the iron, you won't have any iron left! Egads!

I mean, I guess if you make it to the mine first, someone could just throw iron into a basket and then go put it in a biome where no one in the family could pick it up.  That might be more difficult to pull off than clearing out multiple veins and making junk that can't get used or scrapped.

Because of that, I'm going with the iron system as being the bigger flaw here, since this wouldn't have been possible under the iron on the ground system.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2022-04-11 05:56:46)

Danish Clinch.

#5 2022-04-11 19:25:25

Laggy

Well why would anyone make a newcomen before a shovel lol.

You get 8 free iron ( 4 when unlocked, and 4 when you shovel well)

And the first tools you should make if you only have one mine are hammer, axe, shovel, and pick.

TBH instead of a newcomen they made a shovel and 7 hoes, then it would be believable.

The iron system is way too complex.

Numberous times I've been born into towns with just a shovel, axe and a hoe, and lose 1 iron, or no iron.

Having to break a couple tool just to save a town shouldn't be a common thing, but you would be surprised I've had to do this a couple times.

Because they didn't remove the iron out before they shoveled the well they only have 4 iron.

If Jason is going to make a crazy system that few know how it works, he needs to make the information available to the public.

But he won't, because he doesn't care.

Last edited by Laggy (2022-04-11 21:03:02)

#6 2022-04-11 20:30:27

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Well why would anyone make a newcomen before a shovel lol.

I mean, of course no one preferably does such ever.  Their motives I would think obvious, once we get precise.

Laggy wrote:

And the first tools you should make if you only have one mine are hammer, axe, shovel, and pick.

I think I'd still make one hoe before a mining pick, but I would agree that better safe than sorry on having that mining pick.  I wouldn't try to bust out a cart before making a pick for sure.  Going to a mine without a mining pick pretty much sucks.

Laggy wrote:

Numberous times I've been born into towns with just a shovel, axe and a hoe, and lose 1 iron, or no iron.

Having to break a couple tool just to save a town shouldn't be a common thing, but you would be surprised I've had to do this a couple times.

Because they didn't remove the iron out before they shoveled the well they only have 4 iron.

Yea, that sucks.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2022-04-11 20:49:54

Eve Troll

I could see a new player trying smithing for the first time making this mistake. Especially since its more accessible to make newcommen parts and they might not know how to make steel. You can make newcommen parts without bowls, coal, or etc. If they're going just by the hint prompt it could be an easy mistake.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2022-04-11 20:50:16)

#8 2022-04-11 21:00:24

Laggy

Spoonwood wrote:

I think I'd still make one hoe before a mining pick, but I would agree that better safe than sorry on having that mining pick.  I wouldn't try to bust out a cart before making a pick for sure.  Going to a mine without a mining pick pretty much sucks.

With only 4 iron at start you must make a hammer, shovel, and axe.

If you make a hoe with the fourth your only able to get 4 more iron without a pick with only one mine.

But if you only have the 4 starting iron and no lose iron in the vein then your screwed at this point!

Like if the well was dug before the iron was removed. ( which happens all the time )

Also it's not possible to make the 3 starting tools (hammer, shovel, and axe) and what a cart requires with only four iron.

Let's break this down.

You need a hammer, chisel, file, saw, froe, and adze.

Add in the shovel and axe, and you get 8, the exact number you get from the free iron when vein is unlocked.

So, in turn I believe that the fourth tool should be a pick, if you only have one mine.

Last edited by Laggy (2022-04-11 21:04:52)

#9 2022-04-11 21:22:04

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

If you make a hoe with the fourth your only able to get 4 more iron without a pick with only one mine.

But if you only have the 4 starting iron and no lose iron in the vein then your screwed at this point!

If digging up the well wouldn't release iron, yes.  But, then you couldn't use the pick also.

4 more iron is enough to make a pick.  Though again, better safe than sorry on that pick.

Laggy wrote:

Also it's not possible to make the 3 starting tools (hammer, shovel, and axe) and what a cart requires with only four iron.

I was talking about not making a cart with the 4 iron from the stone unlock, and the 4 iron from the shovel unlock for 8 iron total.  I'll make a pick in that situation for sure.

Laggy wrote:

You need a hammer, chisel, file, saw, froe, and adze.

Add in the shovel and axe, and you get 8, the exact number you get from the free iron when vein is unlocked.

Chisel could get scrapped.  I still wouldn't make the cart though.  And there's no axe.  Don't get me started on players putting kindling on hot coals without being ready to smith or cook immediately in an Eve camp before an axe.  It's common and makes it so that players have to run further and further for branches.  And they'll cut maple branches, desired or needed for tools.  Unless the iron and flat rocks and bellows are there it's honestly probably best to throw a flat rock onto hot coals to prevent kindling thrown on hot coals to heat babies.  That's a trap when there's very little food also, since standing around the fire doesn't work when you're starving.  I even remember once I had a good spot with a few wild food sources as a tan Eve over a year ago now.  My early kids were Twisted, who left for a while and didn't affect anything early in town (he came back later in life and helped out), and at least two "fire makers" as I call them.  We ended up with another streamer who was my kid who farmed a bunch, but she died early before her farmed food could grow, because she couldn't find food using Jason glasses (default client), since the fire makers were eating everything up without producing anything, and I was getting steel tools up.  It was a shame, because the productive farmer had such a poor situation to work with to support herself.

Restarting the fire is not a big deal, especially compared to using more kindling early on when the fire doesn't get used to smith or cook.

Edit: I remember the other streamers name now.  It was smokedurjiveass.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2022-04-11 21:34:01)

Danish Clinch.

#10 2022-04-11 21:35:12

Laggy

So what's your tool order?

You only have four iron.

I do this all the time, it's Hammer, Axe, Shovel, Pick.

Screw making a hoe, at the start people will make a farm around the fire or somewhere dumb.

If they are smart enough to make their own hoe or use skewers they usually know where to farm.

Worse case scenario you have a pick that can get you at least 10 more iron.

Thats bullshit that you need to use the newcomen hammer to scrap newcomen parts.

Time to go destroy a town!!!

Hello I'm your friendly nierborhood smith, you ordered 30 crude pistons?

Last edited by Laggy (2022-04-11 21:46:59)

#11 2022-04-11 21:46:50

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

So what's your tool order?

Hammer, axe, shovel, hoe.

Then I go to the mine, and get more, and make a steel file blank and a pick (probably at the same time).

Well, that's if someone brought me that fourth iron.  And if I were Eve, I wouldn't have such a spot to begin with.

If I only had 3 iron, I'd make the shovel, dig the well, and then bring home three more.

The one time where I was Eve in the middle of nowhere when it turned out spawning was bugged, and discovered some old dead town with a reset well, I think I grabbed the hammer from the guy making a shovel and made a pick, because I was that worried about having iron.  When in doubt, for sure, make the pick, even if it means foregoing digging up the well.  I just don't things are that desperate if you just got one mine and no iron has gotten used by anyone else or disappeared to nowhere to the point that foregoing the hoe is warranted.

But yea, early farms will often be pretty crap.  An advanced player will probably only farm some so that there is some food and then cook or smith, and new players don't know how to make a good farm from nothing.  It's almost never that I've found someone using skewers to farm in an Eve camp.  At least stone hoe makers end up doing something also, even though it's a used rope.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2022-04-13 06:14:15

Wood

Spoonwood wrote:

So, let's say you end up as child of Eve early.  The Eve picks a spot with just one vein, or maybe two.  You make a smithing hammer.  Then you make a newcomen crude piston, a newcomen crude cylinder, and a boiler, since your family may likely want a newcomen pump eventually.  If you have another vein, you make another newcomen crude piston, another crude cylinder, another boiler, and a tank for a newcomen engine and extraction of water from the pump.

But, if such were actually to happen, a family isn't likely to get to a pump in either scenario, since they have to look for something made from steel in some place other than the mines that the family unlocked, which is even worse if this happened with child of Eve at server reset, since dead towns with iron at their veins or in town don't exist.  No shovel.  No tools to make a bucket, nor a knife, so rubber to make a newcomen engine to scrap those parts seems unlikely to get from another family.

I've never known this to happen in game, but why is this possible?  Is this a flaw of the scrapping system, the iron access system, or both?

bruh

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

#13 2022-04-13 06:34:13

LonelyNeptune

This entire dumbass thread could be summarised into:

"Maybe the ability for a town to become trapped with no iron is a design flaw."

#14 2022-04-14 18:10:42

Laggy

Neptune.

They should call you useless response.

You contribute nothing, also with all the swearing and name calling you do I don't see how your not banned by now.

WTF moderators want to do your damn job?

#15 2022-04-14 21:51:31

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Neptune.

They should call you useless response.

You contribute nothing, also with all the swearing and name calling you do I don't see how your not banned by now.

WTF moderators want to do your damn job?

Did you report?  They likely won't do anything without reporting, if that wasn't already clear.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer