One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-05 19:42:55

Booklat1

Real talk

Is Jason still paying to keep over 10 servers completely empty?

Can't we at this point just have some 5 servers and split in groups of 20 so everyone can play without race restrictions?

#2 2022-02-05 20:52:03

DestinyCall

Re: Real talk

Or just remove race restrictions.

#3 2022-02-05 21:17:47

fug

Remove race restrictions then readd the chance for babies to be born different race than their mother. Jason has zero intention of creating more characters and the game in my opinion looks awful when every female in a town looks the same due to how mother-daughter spawning works.

It's okay to try new things but race restrictions definitely didn't make the game better.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2022-02-06 00:44:59

Eve Troll

Bring back the rift

#5 2022-02-06 04:18:50

DestinyCall

Eve Troll wrote:

Bring back the rift

No.

#6 2022-02-06 10:23:27

Eve Troll

DestinyCall wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Bring back the rift

No.

Maybe?

#7 2022-02-06 15:58:09

DestinyCall

As it was previously implemented, hard pass.   The rift was genuinely unenjoyable to me.

However, I would not be against the idea of a finite world space, done well.   There were some aspects of the rift that worked or could have been fixed with some better load balancing.   I also could see regularly scheduled resets being okay, if the game was properly balanced for it and the arcs were long enough to allow towns to naturally flourish and decline.   It could even help provide some better structure to game progression, instead of the current drive to hit the top of the tech ladder as soon as possible.  I'd like to see slower town progression, so the generational aspects of OHOL can be explored further and there is more distinction between early, mid, and late game towns.  This could be accomplished by loosening water restrictions and adding more time-gated structures, like the bell tower.

I was not a fan of the Battle Royale nature of arc resets.  And I really despised the "everything runs out" mind-set that motivated many design choices during that time.  It was supposed to provide an interesting challenge by make survival harder as the rift got older - how long can your family survive?  Will you be able to outlast the previous arc?  Who will live and who will die?  (Spoiler alert ... everyone dies)

But it actually just made continuing to play in an old rift less and less enjoyable over time ... and death more appealing.   There is something inherantly wrong when you would rather die than keep playing ... in a survival game.  The game basically rewards you for giving up.  That's some quality game design right there.

For me, many of the rift's problems were related to resource depletion and poor game balance.  Stuff that would normally be solved by leaving your village in search of fresh supplies.  Dumb stuff, like running out of skewers and important stuff like not having enough iron to make necessary tools ... and no enjoyable options for getting more.   Even though the rift was large, we were all trapped in a box and it FELT like a trap.  Not like a game I wanted to keep playing.

And of course, the rampant bear griefing and entire towns getting murdered by roving bands of coordinated griefers was just the cherry on the top of a lovely shit sandwich.

#8 2022-02-06 20:23:55

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

Remove race restrictions then readd the chance for babies to be born different race than their mother. Jason has zero intention of creating more characters and the game in my opinion looks awful when every female in a town looks the same due to how mother-daughter spawning works.

It's okay to try new things but race restrictions definitely didn't make the game better.

It definitely does look awful.  it's looked awful with the same female characters for a long, long time now.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2022-02-06 20:26:46

Spoonwood

Oh, and DestinyCall suggests, tomatoes and cucumbers would likely be no fun at all, since they would hardly ever, if ever, exist in some finite map where they ran out.

Finite map is boring, since it means that there's not much to do in the end and even before that.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2022-02-07 03:02:54

WumboJumbo

Eve Troll wrote:

Bring back the rift

And add war tanks while you're at it! wink

#11 2022-02-07 03:12:21

DestinyCall

Nuclear bombs ... for a satisfying end-game, followed by nuclear winter.

#12 2022-02-07 04:52:03

OneOfMany

Eve Troll wrote:

Bring back the rift

I loved the rift. I learned so much.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#13 2022-02-07 15:32:59

Booklat1

I mean, as someone who has given a hard hard pass for the game after race restrictions were implemented I don't in the slightest disagree

Homelands and race restrictions should absolutely be removed. The rift can be reworked to make the map more limited or finite, but it can't just be a huge jail (I think reworking the rift and adding continents that you can travel to would be best).

Personally I think the best idea for OHOL is re-adding tool slots and tying them to eves/families. For example, first tool the eve uses becomes a free tool slot for everyone in her family (maybe the first iron tool and allow stone tools to be used by anyone). Like I don't even think tools slots are a >needed< mechanic, but I think it can be reworked to do the job that race restricions never did.

Spring mechanics, rift, posses and race restrictions were all means of making the game more controlable for jason but very distressing for whose that played the game. IDK what else to say that we haven't said billions of times so...

But why is Jason spending money on 10+ servers though? we hardly ever use more than 3

#14 2022-02-07 15:47:03

Eve Troll

Tool slots were worse than race restrictions. Cant think of a worse mechanic that has been added to the game. They make no sense and only serve as a limitation to disable veteran players and disappoint noobs as they attempt to learn the game. Imagine trying to teach someone how to make compost but both your tool slots are full. Then having to run around for 10 minutes trying to get someone to use it for you so you can continue teaching...

I dont need to imagine. Worst. Trash. Ever.

#15 2022-02-07 20:22:37

DestinyCall

Booklat1 wrote:

But why is Jason spending money on 10+ servers though? we hardly ever use more than 3

Maybe he got them at a discounted group price, so he figured why not?

#16 2022-02-08 03:59:00

DestinyCall

Eve Troll wrote:

Tool slots were worse than race restrictions.

Honestly, I would not consider tool slots worse than race restrictions.   They are both bullshit, but at least you could deal with a missing toolslot by asking your own family for help.  Or try to raise your meme score to access more slots in future lives, lol. .   In many cases, you have no reasonable recourse when you hit a race restricted bottleneck, unless you are willing to spend half your life traveling between villages to make a bowl of ice cream or some yellow paint.   With race restrictions, huge chunks of content are functionally inaccessible to everyone each life.   Such a waste.

That being said, I definitely do not want a return of tool slots in any form.   Some form of skill specialization or actual "jobs" might be okay, but in the current game state, it rarely makes sense to dedicate an entire life to just one task. 

I like being able to switch between "occupations" when necessary. Spending an hour doing nothing but baking pies would get old fast ... and bury the town in extra pies.      I don't want to feel trapped in a particular position for a whole lifetime because of a decision I made in childhood or, even worse, a choice made by one of my  distant ancestors.

#17 2022-02-08 20:16:20

Booklat1

DestinyCall wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Tool slots were worse than race restrictions.

Honestly, I would not consider tool slots worse than race restrictions.   They are both bullshit, but at least you could deal with a missing toolslot by asking your own family for help.  Or try to raise your meme score to access more slots in future lives, lol. .   In many cases, you have no reasonable recourse when you hit a race restricted bottleneck, unless you are willing to spend half your life traveling between villages to make a bowl of ice cream or some yellow paint.   With race restrictions, huge chunks of content are functionally inaccessible to everyone each life.   Such a waste.

That being said, I definitely do not want a return of tool slots in any form.

I think the idea of having tool restrictions is salvageable, though I definitely have exagerated when i said "would be the bestvthing for ohol".
The thing is, I don't see Jason getting rid of the mindset of adding some sort of restriction to implement trade - in which case again, tool slots are salvageable, and I can't say the same for race restrictions

I can see tool slots being tied to progression or to eve strategies, for example, giving players options. Race restrictions just take away from the game.
But to be clear, a game without either is probably much better and more enjoyable.

#18 2022-02-10 16:58:19

Spoonwood

Eve Troll wrote:

Tool slots were worse than race restrictions. Cant think of a worse mechanic that has been added to the game. They make no sense and only serve as a limitation to disable veteran players and disappoint noobs as they attempt to learn the game. Imagine trying to teach someone how to make compost but both your tool slots are full. Then having to run around for 10 minutes trying to get someone to use it for you so you can continue teaching...

I dont need to imagine. Worst. Trash. Ever.

Here, here.

Danish Clinch.

#19 2022-02-10 20:01:28

tobiasisahawk

fug wrote:

Or keep race restrictions but bring back the chance for babies born to a different race than the mother. That way the game has the forced cooperation Jason wants, but dealing with the restrictions isn't as bad because large families could have someone from every race.

#20 2022-02-10 22:00:15

DestinyCall

tobiasisahawk wrote:

Or keep race restrictions but bring back the chance for babies born to a different race than the mother. That way the game has the forced cooperation Jason wants, but dealing with the restrictions isn't as bad because large families could have someone from every race.

Unfortunately, I doubt that would satisfy Jason.   While looking back at past posts to find amusing quotes, I've come across several posts written by Jason back when race restrictions were still fairly new.   After reading them, I don't think the ultimate goal of race restrictions was really to encourage trade or even forcing us to cooperate with other players. 

The Rift experiment was designed to test the idea of "everything runs out" in a controlled way.  It was too hard to test resource exhaution in an infinity world, so he built a box.   He wanted to test what happened to the game when resources ran out because he was searching for a way to make the game better ... more interesting, more compelling, more engaging in the long-term.   He had noticed that the survival focused early game was more appealing than late-game villages, but he was struggling to understand why ... and how to provide the game with a satisfying end-game.   But he was pretty sure that the answer was more restrictions.

Race restrictions were the new big idea, replacing the visible rift with a different kind of cage.  Jason wanted to add time and distance constraints into the game world as way to kill old towns.  Not necessarily because he wanted them to be dead, but because he wanted us to fight to keep them going as long as we could.  When a town dies because they have no oil or whatever, that is the game functioning exactly as Jason intended it to function.

Unfortunately, race restrictions are not ... and never have been .. a fun game-play mechanic.   They certainly do force us to work really hard to keep our towns alive, but it isn't fun work.  It isn't satisfying.   It doesn't make OHOL a better game.

At this point, I am afraid to imagine what Jason would come up with as a replacement for race restrictions.   

But I am secretly hoping it will involve zombies or bears ... or bear zombies!

#21 2022-02-10 22:38:45

Booklat1

it's gonna be communism, destiny. And we'll finally get what we always told jason we needed, people starving again

But again, fr this time, player hunger and society-wide hunger are not necessarily the same thing in this game. A lot of what kept us in our toes was the fear of starving but also the idea that entire civs would be wiped if not only ourselves died but the last girls also.

Jason knows how hard it is to balance food out but he gave such little attention to the little connecting dots in the big mess that is this game's techtree.
We should never have been able to get so much food for so little resources through sheep husbandry. Fuck, Jason even added Yum to combat this issue. Only to years later add yet another mechanic in craving while also not nerfing sheep directly, and giving them an extra mutton drop (which wasn't a direct buff either but was completely non-beneficial)

And then there is stuff like wood, walls, heat and the entire techtree related to those things that just become discuntinued when jason decided to no longer account wood as a long-term consumable resource. So everyone is warm all the time, and societies don't have to deal with naked people eating all food.

I think we went sooo far from the issues that were actually issues in the game that even if we had a server with 200+ people the game wouldn't feel alive. At most as alive as your zombie bear.

#22 2022-02-11 02:30:42

WumboJumbo

Booklat1 wrote:

I mean, as someone who has given a hard hard pass for the game after race restrictions were implemented I don't in the slightest disagree

Homelands and race restrictions should absolutely be removed. The rift can be reworked to make the map more limited or finite, but it can't just be a huge jail (I think reworking the rift and adding continents that you can travel to would be best).

Personally I think the best idea for OHOL is re-adding tool slots and tying them to eves/families. For example, first tool the eve uses becomes a free tool slot for everyone in her family (maybe the first iron tool and allow stone tools to be used by anyone). Like I don't even think tools slots are a >needed< mechanic, but I think it can be reworked to do the job that race restricions never did.

Spring mechanics, rift, posses and race restrictions were all means of making the game more controlable for jason but very distressing for whose that played the game. IDK what else to say that we haven't said billions of times so...

Jason cornered himself due to his "flawless" custom game engine. As a result, there will never be proper water tile mechanics in the game.

Board footer