One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-28 09:10:58

Forkwood

Problem: One Hour One Life Promotes Gynocracy

A recent change enabled female players to generate new characters at the Eve camp.  Previously, players would often wait until the late game to generate new characters if they had surviving children (both male AND female characters can survive the nuclear attack).  This change, in the context of the game's existing dynamics, leads to more gynocentric play.

The one hour one life induction system is directly antagonistic to game mechanics that promote gynocracy in game described most recently by, at least, Eve Tchernek in her 2015 book "Freedom's Femininity".

Other game mechanics that promote gynocracy also exist, such as the inability to kill all of one's children when pregnant.

It used to be that children matured after 30 minutes.  Since the Pie server update, child survival has been reduced to 20 minutes on default (one hour one life changed all players to default soon after it was released... though it's not exactly clear when the change occurred).  So, any child that survives past 20 minutes can survive on their own terms, and theoretically is supposed to do so on one's first living impulse.

I've seen at least one Pie lineage repeatedly during my time online where there was three adult women on an otherwise unpopulated map. Now I don't know how reproductively capable one of those women were or are, but if no woman who played seriously ever reproduced, then gingers developed entirely through biotechnology (or reincarnation even... twenty minute delays make all of the Ginger people reincarnated gingers of course). And if reproduction occurred (it might not have), then the only way for men to develop was through incest with their mother or sister which tends reproduce true heritance or madness, rather than some functional line surviving.  Fathers might also live up to their responsibility biologically since they're STILL longest lived... but gingerism is still by far most common when they STILL leave no descendants alive anyways *making* them gingers via incest*.

Another thing, though less speculative would be that people playing with restrictions have an incentive to try to somehow promote gynocracy.

I think more evidence is needed before making a change here.

#2 2021-11-28 11:28:00

Laggy

Re: Problem: One Hour One Life Promotes Gynocracy

One Spoonwood is enough.

I say we keep this new one.

Spoonwood your services are no longer needed.

#3 2021-11-28 14:29:57

Forkwood

I will do as you command. Goodbye Spoonwood.

#4 2021-11-28 22:00:00

Arcurus

We also have Wood Spoon

#5 2021-11-29 05:45:06

Forkwood

Wood Spoon was a better character. I mean he did exist in some sort of tree. He had some sort of family tree. He had children, and some sort of family tree had branches. He even had some sort of middle name. He had a life story. And on top of that, Spoonwood is a girl's name.

It's also worth noting that Spoonwood is the only Eve outside of one hour one life that had an Eve Survival Guide that she wrote herself.

I say we get rid of this Spoonwood, and let a nice tree live on in One Hour One Life.

#6 2021-11-29 07:04:30

KnifeWood
Banned

Forkwood wrote:

Wood Spoon was a better character. I mean he did exist in some sort of tree. He had some sort of family tree. He had children, and some sort of family tree had branches. He even had some sort of middle name. He had a life story. And on top of that, Spoonwood is a girl's name.

It's also worth noting that Spoonwood is the only Eve outside of one hour one life that had an Eve Survival Guide that she wrote herself.

I say we get rid of this Spoonwood, and let a nice tree live on in One Hour One Life.

Pfft, You aren't even being objective. Your opinion is wrong

#7 2021-11-29 08:48:41

Forkwood

KnifeWood wrote:

Pfft, You aren't even being objective. Your opinion is wrong

I can't be objective about Spoonwood because she is a girl's name.

You know how baby shoes become useless when you get back to town with your baby? Well Spoonwood gets even more useless than baby shoes since she's a girl's name. There is no sense of sacrifice or deep connection to her parents like there is with baby shoes, because the game designer got rid of her like shoes.

Board footer