have to fight.
Study map
by dying light.
Last clue flies on
Hall'ween night.

#2 2021-10-29 06:14:11

Spoonwood

Re: Headless Hunt Contest

Bigserver2 went down at about 2:12 A. M. on Friday morning, instantly removing players.  I didn't see the name 'jasonrohrer' on discord at this time, and am confused whether such was intended to happen.  I would have thought Jason would be asleep at that time.  To speak certainly, one hour one life isn't possible, in terms of living until 60 in game, when such happens.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-10-29 06:17:31)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2021-10-29 12:31:52

Spoonwood

There was another server crash or two a bit later according to people in the discord.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2021-10-29 15:54:14

Laggy

Servers are crashing constantly, also  deleting every thing on the player. Anyone find a backpack?

#5 2021-10-29 16:11:34

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Servers are crashing constantly, also  deleting every thing on the player. Anyone find a backpack?

Yes, I've found one.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2021-10-29 17:24:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thank you for these reports!

Twinning was causing the server crash, due to a memory leak fix that broke something.

I've fixed it, and the fix is rolling out now.

#7 2021-10-29 17:48:38

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Thank you for these reports!

You're welcome.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2021-10-30 02:58:48

Spoonwood

Now that I understand this update and how little... well I guess it's more like NOT AT ALL... it dovetails with the rest of the game, I'll make this quote:

jasonrohrer wrote:

What people actually want is not 10,000 odds and ends, but a more tightly-crafted group of things that work together in interesting, complex, and emergent ways.

October 28, 2021: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 20#p107320

Again, I can't see at all how this update works *together* with anything else in the game, let alone in some sort of emergent (natural feeling or logical) way.

Also, not a single thing in the update is craftable.  Come to think of it the whole update involves a whole system of ROLEPLAY, since the headless horseman doesn't have any in-game reason to even exist.  I think there's some other quote about realplay vs. roleplay somewhere, but I'm not finding it.

I know I'm going to sound like Spoonwood here, but how does one not see the contradiction?

Danish Clinch.

#9 2021-10-30 11:37:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It's a Halloween contest with a prize, Spoon....

It's not even an "update" in the usual sense.

It is supposed to be fun and funny and intriguing for the holiday.

Do you remember the April Fools event that happened earlier this year?

#10 2021-10-30 12:04:53

jinbaili83

I think this is a good addition to game that could be a permanent feature in some form. This game lacks some sort of external threat to families.

Chasing a griefer from your own family is not fun, war is impractical and animal AI is close to none.

#11 2021-10-30 16:40:57

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's a Halloween contest with a prize, Spoon....

It's not even an "update" in the usual sense.

It is supposed to be fun and funny and intriguing for the holiday.

Do you remember the April Fools event that happened earlier this year?

Yes, I remember that, and it was another gag.  Here's another quote:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Adding a bunch more characters is also probably a waste of time.  There are "enough" in the game currently ...

Now, I've said before that I don't agree with that.  But, in terms of consistency the headless horseman is another character, and the baby Jasons running around on April 1st were another character.  And on top of that... well another quote from the same post on October 28th,

jasonrohrer wrote:

And in the face of this, there's also burn-out to consider.  It's really hard to spend a week working on adding stuff to the game, and then find out that people don't really use it.  If it's not core, the truth is, they won't use it after a while.

No one uses anything in the April Fools event anymore.  The headless horseman almost surely won't get used as much it's getting used now once the puzzle gets figured out.  And the shrine is at one spot, and I suspect that people will become more and more reluctant to go back to that spot over time.  So I think it's fair to expect that in a little bit the whole thing won't get used much, if at all.

That's also two weeks.  And another quote:

jasonrohrer wrote:

At the same time, you should understand why I don't want to ADD more stuff like sports cars to the game.

I need to pick my battles, and maximize the bang-for-the-buck of the stuff that I add to the game.

But clearly the headless horseman is worse than the sports car in terms of its functionality.  And one would think that this was known at the exact same time as writing the above quotes.

And then I say that the above is contradictory.  And Jason responds with the above as if such an inconsistency should just get ignored.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2021-10-30 19:50:05

Spoonwood

I just played as Pooja Swan: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7633309

I had played as daughter of Eve Swan last night.  So, when I was born we had an exhausted deep well.  My mom told me we were going through famine.  When I was young the leader asked if anyone knew how to do an engine.  We did need an engine, but as I know an engine is useless without kerosene, I didn't work on making an engine, I went to Gingers instead.  Though they did have a lot of iron in town, they didn't have any kerosene and still needed more of the rubber process going to make it to kerosene.  So, I ended up getting a bunch of ropes/lassoes for them (for buckets and other things), cooked some rubber that they had lying around, and got sulfured latex and palm oil with the help of Doofus (hetuw name).

I thought I was safe from having a child, and crossed into the jungle area after age 39.  I had a kid, which for a moment seemed fortunate, since it Swans didn't have any other fertile people *it seemed* according to Hetuw mod.  I tried to run her back to Swan town, and fed her solid food a few times, she even said 'F' once.  Then I ran with her for a bit, she didn't say 'F', or I missed it somehow, and she starved.  Oops.

One other person on discord told me that Swans wouldn't have survived long anyways with how the town looked.

Anyways, the issue with this update seems kind of apparent to me in that it has resulted in the players who are more familiar with the game becoming the can't feed their self, can't even cook or farm as much as they consume, deadweight horseman, and then doing something which doesn't have any function with respect to the game.  So, things like having structure for a stable town, or getting kerosene and engines up on the server, end up taking a backseat for many players.  And many of the good or productive players become deadweight players.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-10-30 20:03:04)

Danish Clinch.

#13 2021-10-31 17:03:04

Spoonwood

I just played as Heida Rozman: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7636360  I'm born into a town with an exhausted deep well.  I don't see an engine or kerosene.  My mom mentions there's a shallow well right.  Once I have my craving at 10 (I'll usually hang around until 10 before leaving a town if I'm going elsewhere), I leave to go to Gingers.

Once I find a waystone, I learn that Gingers are 2.9k right of tans!  Usually I'd chalk that sort of distance to players resettling, but in this case I blame this recent change.  I go to Gingers, and unsurprisingly, there's still no kerosene on the server (they had an unused tarry spot on their fault line).  They were a bit more than midway through their charcoal pump.  They had decent tools, but no iron in town, so it wasn't like they could get oil up quickly also.

Blacks were around 50 generations in around this time, and thus almost surely had an exhausted deep well without kerosene like tans.  They were like 1.7k right of Gingers, and though I got Gingers latex and more palm oil, there was no way that I could get them sulfur.  And to reiterate, I had seen an exhausted deep well already in this arc.

The whole headless horseman thing clashes with the rest of the game.  Even a priori it creates players that are deadweight since they can't even theoretically produce anything at all.  It's not about survival.  Nor about parenting.  Nor about civilization building.  It's a gag at best and calling such a gimmick strikes me as dead on.  And with some players migrating east, to get closer to the shrine I guess, it should be clear that it clashes with race restrictions.

I've heard before some people refer to Mr. Rohrer as a "troll dev".  And well, that seems dead on at this point at time at least.

No vision at all.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2021-10-31 22:56:36

WumboJumbo

Spoonwood wrote:

I just played as Heida Rozman: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7636360  I'm born into a town with an exhausted deep well.  I don't see an engine or kerosene.  My mom mentions there's a shallow well right.  Once I have my craving at 10 (I'll usually hang around until 10 before leaving a town if I'm going elsewhere), I leave to go to Gingers.

Once I find a waystone, I learn that Gingers are 2.9k right of tans!  Usually I'd chalk that sort of distance to players resettling, but in this case I blame this recent change.  I go to Gingers, and unsurprisingly, there's still no kerosene on the server (they had an unused tarry spot on their fault line).  They were a bit more than midway through their charcoal pump.  They had decent tools, but no iron in town, so it wasn't like they could get oil up quickly also.

Blacks were around 50 generations in around this time, and thus almost surely had an exhausted deep well without kerosene like tans.  They were like 1.7k right of Gingers, and though I got Gingers latex and more palm oil, there was no way that I could get them sulfur.  And to reiterate, I had seen an exhausted deep well already in this arc.

The whole headless horseman thing clashes with the rest of the game.  Even a priori it creates players that are deadweight since they can't even theoretically produce anything at all.  It's not about survival.  Nor about parenting.  Nor about civilization building.  It's a gag at best and calling such a gimmick strikes me as dead on.  And with some players migrating east, to get closer to the shrine I guess, it should be clear that it clashes with race restrictions.

I've heard before some people refer to Mr. Rohrer as a "troll dev".  And well, that seems dead on at this point at time at least.

No vision at all.

Did Steam pay a bunch of developers to participate in the Halloween event?

#15 2021-10-31 23:11:08

Spoonwood

WumboJumbo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

No vision at all.

I don't know if Valve (the corporation that runs Steam) gave incentives to game developers to participate in the Halloween event.  It wouldn't surprise me, since I'd think Valve takes a cut of sales on games.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-10-31 23:11:37)

Danish Clinch.

#16 2021-10-31 23:37:27

LonelyNeptune

Spoonwood wrote:

So in summary this is the story of Spoonwood, who saw that his family needed both an engine and kerosene. Instead of solving the half of the problem he could solve (the engine), he gave up and wandered around out of band as the last fertile female. Then by a lucky fluke, had a kid and still let it die.

The progression of families not lining up is unfortunate, but... wow. That definitely didn't paint you as having done all you could.

#17 2021-11-01 00:10:36

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

So in summary this is the story of Spoonwood, who saw that his family needed both an engine and kerosene. Instead of solving the half of the problem he could solve (the engine), he gave up and wandered around out of band as the last fertile female.

I didn't anticipate becoming the last fertile female.  I think we had over 10 people when I left town.  You speak correctly in that I probably could have solved the engine problem (not sure we had rubber).  But, there exists a complication.  If you make an engine it uses up water in the process, and if you're not going to run the engine, it's useless to even try to make the engine.  The water would better get used for food.  The engine problem also was realized by at least the leader, if not others in town, as s/he issued an order about such.  I don't know if the leader realized the kerosene situation.

It has also long been my experience that more players tend to do an engine before doing an oil rig than players who do an oil rig before doing an engine.  Both need to get done.  But also, the oil rig is more useful, since you can get water from using the oil on a kerosene newcomen pump.  Thus, using oil for more water doesn't need an engine.  But, an engine needs oil.  So, doing an oil rig has more value at least to someone potentially on the server somewhere, and thus I maintain that I had the correct intent in trying to get oil or help Gingers get an oil rig up at least until I realized the fertility issue which I didn't recognize until sometime in my 30s when I was already at Gingers.

I also didn't just wander out of band and give up.  As I said:

Spoonwood wrote:

I ended up getting a bunch of ropes/lassoes for them [Gingers] (for buckets and other things), cooked some rubber that they had lying around, and got sulfured latex and palm oil with the help of Doofus (hetuw name).

And again, when I had a child out in the wilderness, I tried to get her back to town.  Again, I felt it was fortunate that I had her at the time, as there was then an opportunity that the family could survive.  I just ended up failing on feeding her in the end, as I was past 40 soon after she was born, and didn't put her down and feed her solid food soon enough.

By all means fault my skill level here.  It wasn't good enough.  But, I maintain that so far as I knew, my decisions were justifiable.

Also, I *only* knew about the fertility issue, because I was using a mod, in this case Hetuw mod.  If I had used the default client, I wouldn't have realized that there was a fertility issue at all.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-01 00:15:19)

Danish Clinch.

#18 2021-11-01 03:45:22

Spoonwood

I played as Link: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7638210  We were on a dry deep well needing to upgrade to a charcoal pump.  Before I knew how far I had to travel, I went and got ropes, made some buckets, a cart, lassoed a horse, and made some tools.  It was 3.6k to tans!  Though Tux thankfully got the supplies I wanted quickly, I did NOT make it back to town, and ended up telling someone in PXchat about where I died and what the horsecart had with supplies.  I think tans, named Rozeman: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7635548 had resettled right, with some veteran walking there early to get closer to the shrine (though admittedly some players resettle old towns right without caring all that much about how it makes getting specialty resources all that much harder).

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-01 03:46:56)

Danish Clinch.

#19 2021-11-01 16:43:00

WumboJumbo

Spoonwood wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

No vision at all.

I don't know if Valve (the corporation that runs Steam) gave incentives to game developers to participate in the Halloween event.  It wouldn't surprise me, since I'd think Valve takes a cut of sales on games.

Yeah, that would explain why the game is on sale too. I guess Jason desperately needs that money or something?

#20 2021-11-02 04:40:58

fug

WumboJumbo wrote:

Yeah, that would explain why the game is on sale too. I guess Jason desperately needs that money or something?

Nice jumping to conclusions. The game was put on sale because he wasn't actively updating it and didn't see the point in keeping it at full price.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#21 2021-11-02 09:37:15

olooopo

fug wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

Nice jumping to conclusions. The game was put on sale because he wasn't actively updating it and didn't see the point in keeping it at full price.

Thats why the price is also reduced on the official page - oh wait....

#22 2021-11-02 12:25:55

Spoonwood

fug wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

I thought WumboJumbo referred to the Halloween sale, not the reduced by $5 price.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2021-11-02 12:29:40

Spoonwood

olooopo wrote:
fug wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

Thats why the price is also reduced on the official page - oh wait....

I hadn't seen it before that the price on the official page is still $20.  It's cheaper to buy the game on Steam via a third party source at $15/about $15 than from the original source.

Danish Clinch.

#24 2021-11-03 13:33:25

Spoonwood

Some players cursed the Headless Horseman.  That's a signal that such players were not enjoying their selves.  It could be because they wanted to view the change in the character models over the course of a life, or because they felt they or their child(ren) were under threat of death.

InvaderTee on discord said this:

InvaderTee wrote:

I know a lot of people just ended up undressing and starving themselves after being beheaded

One would think that in a survival game, players would strive to survive.  And that changes to the game would not encourage players to suicide by starvation.  I mean if a change encourages suicide in a survival game, the change in the game encourages dying and discourages survival.  And if a player deliberately strips off their clothes and starves out, it seems abundantly clear that they are not having fun.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-03 13:43:27)

Danish Clinch.

#25 2021-11-04 11:58:16

WumboJumbo

fug wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

I was referring to the Halloween event...

Also, are we just going to ignore this: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … pid=107237

Valve really wants game developers to participate in the event. I would not be surprised whatsoever if money is involved in persuading developers to do so, even if it's the bare minimum of effort.

Last edited by WumboJumbo (2021-11-04 12:00:02)

Board footer