a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-03 18:47:06

Spoonwood

For Anyone Who Bought The Game/Server Access Via OneHourOneLife.Com

So, if you bought the game or server access from this website specifically:

https://sites.fastspring.com/jasonrohre … ?referrer=

then you paid $20 for it.

I note that it currently sells for $15 on Steam as it's regular price, and there might still be another sale in the future sometime.

Mr. Rohrer's policy, as I understand it, has been that he gives out refunds for any reason (if bought from his website... how refunds work with respect to having bought the game on Steam I suspect follows Valve's policies on Steam).  His e-mail is jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm 

Thus, it's possible that one could get a refund for the $20 one payed, wait until that account is deactivated, then rebuy the game on Steam for $15, and have recouped $5 *and* still have access to the game.

If you bought the game on Steam since September 22, 2021, since the game has sold at $15 maximum on Steam, my opinion is that you have sufficient reason to request a refund from Mr. Rohrer, and then purchase the game on Steam.  And if you bought the game later than October 1st of 2020 (again, *if* you bought from Mr. Rohrer's website and NOT if you bought the game on Steam), it also seems that there exists a sufficient reason to request a refund from Mr. Rohrer, and then purchase the game on Steam.

So far as I know, it is possible to get a refund and still have access to the game this way also if one bought the game earlier.  It may be ethically questionable to request a refund in this way if one bought the game before fall of 2020, but I think that remains a matter up to one's own personal discretion, especially with how this game was initially advertised.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-04 02:01:11)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2021-11-03 19:43:20

selalov734

Re: For Anyone Who Bought The Game/Server Access Via OneHourOneLife.Com

No you don't get refunds for things you bought only because they became cheaper.
If you go to a store and buy a game for 50$ and then 10 years later it only costs 5$ you don't get the 45$ back.

It looks like you have a deep hatred for the developer of this game, this is not healthy, please think about what you are doing here.

#3 2021-11-03 21:00:18

Spoonwood

selalov734 wrote:

No you don't get refunds for things you bought only because they became cheaper.
If you go to a store and buy a game for 50$ and then 10 years later it only costs 5$ you don't get the 45$ back.

I agree with your example.

This isn't things became cheaper exactly though.

I guess you missed it, but at the same time, the game is getting sold for $20 on Jason's website, and $15 on Steam.

Jason's policy is that he accepts refunds at anytime for any reason.  At least that's what I've understood.  No time limit on refunds, unlike most store's policies.

So, getting a refund, and then purchasing on Steam should be a way to recoup $5 (not counting tax difference) of one's money.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2021-11-03 22:28:31

LonelyNeptune

This is what the kids refer to as "a dick move".

#5 2021-11-03 22:33:38

Spoonwood

Also, selalov734, if you go to a store and buy say a trash can for X dollars, and then go another store where the same trash can model is sold for (X - 5) dollars, you are well within your rights to refund the first trash can for X dollars, and then purchase the trash can at the second store for (X - 5) dollars.  And by "well within your rights", I assume that you have refunded the trash can in accordance with the store's policies, and haven't done anything which would have voided your refund ability.  And you would recoup 5 dollars and still have a functional trash can if you did such.

At present, the game basically can get said to get sold in two stores *at the same time* for two different prices.

Here's Mr. Rohrer exactly on refunds:

jasonrohrer wrote:

I stand by a universal, no-questions asked refund policy for anyone and everyone, no matter how long they've had the game, or how much they played.

I have sent refunds to a few people who have 400+ hours in the past.

When the "infinite carrots" were fixed a few years ago, someone emailed me about how I had totally ruined the game, and they demanded a refund, even though they had 200+ hours, which was a lot, given how long the game had been out.  I sent them a refund right away.  Then the next day, they changed their mind and wanted their account back, but it was too late.

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … 825#p94825

There's an exception made later for publicly shared accounts, but it's not much (and questioned by some if he's within his legal rights to block such accounts):

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10022

See how flexible of a policy that is?  It's well known that people have had multiple accounts via Steam.  So, unless I have missed something, one refunding the game after having purchased it from the first linked website, and then buying an account on Steam should work.  One would have a new account that way also.  And one would recoup $5.  And I think a consumer would be acting fairly by doing so at the very least if they bought the game from the website in the last month or so, since it was sold for different prices in different places.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-03 22:38:52)

Danish Clinch.

#6 2021-11-03 22:38:20

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

This is what the kids refer to as "a dick move".

Consumers would recoup some of their costs under such a process.  They serve their own interests by doing so.  Every consumer is advised to seek their own interest.  When in doubt, the interests of consumers should get valued above the interests of business owners.

Mr. Rohrer would still have received money from anyone doing what got suggested in the original post also.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2021-11-04 00:25:46

Cogito

When I read Spoon's initial post I thought the intention was for people who bought the game years ago to get a refund and then rebuy it under a sale, and agree that would be unethical.

As Spoon has clarified the post is about the game being sold in two stores at the same time at different prices, I do not think it is unethical to ask for the difference in sale prices if you bought it while the sale was ongoing (and there is precedent for that in other places). The seller is not obligated to sell the game at the same price everywhere, but it's ethical to get the sale price if you buy something that is on sale.

#8 2021-11-04 02:12:14

Spoonwood

Cogito wrote:

As Spoon has clarified the post is about the game being sold in two stores at the same time at different prices, I do not think it is unethical to ask for the difference in sale prices if you bought it while the sale was ongoing (and there is precedent for that in other places). The seller is not obligated to sell the game at the same price everywhere, but it's ethical to get the sale price if you buy something that is on sale.

The post was prompted by it being sold in two stores at the same time at different prices.  In other words, I only thought of this when thinking about how the game was at two prices in two different places.  It wasn't just about that case.  Other cases may (or may not) have something to them ethically speaking.  But, I emphasize that I agree that the seller is not obligated to sell the game everywhere, and even more so it's ethical to get the sale price if you buy something that is on sale in one place.  I'm glad that we agree on that and you emphasized that case.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2021-11-04 03:57:38

Cogito

Spoonwood wrote:

The post was prompted by it being sold in two stores at the same time at different prices.  In other words, I only thought of this when thinking about how the game was at two prices in two different places.  It wasn't just about that case.

Fair enough, so we agree that it is possible to do the refund and repurchase in order to get the sale price, and that it is ethical to do so if you bought it while a sale was in progress. Additionally, I think it is unethical to do this if you bought it when there was no sale (and I think it's ethically fuzzy if you bought, for example, just before a sale started).

#10 2021-11-04 14:53:10

Spoonwood

Cogito wrote:

Fair enough, so we agree that it is possible to do the refund and repurchase in order to get the sale price, and that it is ethical to do so if you bought it while a sale was in progress.

Yes, we do.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer