One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-14 02:21:45

OneOfMany

Order,... How do You be a Leader?

It's a simple question. What do you do as "Leader"?

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#2 2021-08-14 02:51:05

Gremlynn

Re: Order,... How do You be a Leader?

Its a fake title that means nothing. You can give 'orders' and can kill/exile people. It was another stupid mechanic added to encourage players to jump through the memescore hoops and all play the same. If you're a good little food waster and make sure all your afk kids survive you might get rewarded with an eve run.. or be leader. The birth of memescore weight, along with toolslots, was the day this game spiritually died. What was that? Almost two years ago? Time flies huh.

Being a leader used to mean literally leading people. Being a mover and a changer, helping people, guiding people, encouraging people, and protecting people. It wasnt something you earned, it was something you were. It wasn't a title, it didnt have perks, it was who you were and how you played. Being a leader meant taking risks, putting your life on the line for others or even killing to protect your family. Sometimes it meant not keeping all of your kids so the others wouldnt starve. The current system is counter intuitive to the meaning of being a leader, or even excelling in this game technologically and genealogically.The mechanic may be called "leadership/hierarchy" but it really should be called "#1 helicopter mom"

Last edited by Gremlynn (2021-08-14 03:00:59)

#3 2021-08-14 15:31:39

Laggy

If your leader you should immeditly run so that you are homesick. Because having kids will mess up your score.

Believe it or not, your score is going to be better not having 10 kids. Well unless it's already garbage, but you got lead so it is not.

Ohh you meant what a leader should do to help a town, not their own genetic score?

#4 2021-08-15 12:11:58

Cogito

When I am leader I focus on coordinating the villagers.

For anyone who doesn't use out-of-game chat, knowing what needs to be done at any point in time is a real challenge. So I make it my job to understand what are the main challenges and tell that to people.

Things like the well is running dry and the next upgrade isn't ready - "Order, we need water carted in, please fill buckets from ponds" or something like that

Sometimes co-ordinating the creation of new buildings, though buildings aren't really that important.

I will also call town meetings so that people who are keen to help can come together and decide who will do what.

#5 2021-08-17 00:33:46

OneOfMany

First, I'd like to address memescore. It's incredibly easy to gain genescore. All you have to do is live to sixty, every life (No SIDs). As long as you do that, your score will always trend up. I'm not a helicopter parent. I don't feed the AFK/Disconnects. Nine times out of ten, your score goes up, on the tenth time it usually goes down by like five lives. That's just the way genescore goes, but because it always seems to trend upwardly, I think of it more as a count of how many lives you lived. When it gets up to 50 and higher you will suffer loses and it starts to stall out. This is the upper limit of genescore and separates out players that have lived many lives from those that have not. Since genescore determines who's an Eve, it makes sense. An experienced player should be able to Eve much better than an inexperienced player.

Leadership is also selected by genescore, mostly. It stands that a more experienced player should be better at that role, but most leaders seem to suck. There doesn't seem to be any communication in game. Now mind you, this is coming from a player who is not on the discord, nor do I use a mod or zoom, I'm fully vanilla and I like it that way. Cogito has got it right. The "Leader" role should be a vocal one, focused on the needs of the community and facilitating communication between players. Exiling is an obvious power, but communication is the real power. 

What I am asking you now is, "What do you communicate as leader?" also "What would you like communicated by your leader?"   ...asking for a friend.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#6 2021-08-17 02:00:05

Gremlynn

Lol. Like laggy mentions is easier to just go out of birth zone and gain score from yourself, gma, and mom. This is consistent and used by the majority of people 50+. Ive hit 57 using this method with no effort. Only to annoy another person who took memescore too seriously and wanted to prove how stupid it was. In the early days it was harsh, but just as broken. Mostly i was referring to it in that since thats what had left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to it. Lets be real. Living to 60 is a waste of food, being male is a waste of food. Maintaining spawn weight for your family is incredibly important and its more efficient to cycle lives that way. But only keep kids when resources are in surplus and dont keep males. At least back in the day. Any rifter will agree. Especially in struggling towns. Survival isnt a matter of score, its a matter of resource management. Overpopulation is the biggest problem with this game. Its not balanced around big populations, especially if the people in those populations dont understand the food system. Thats why noobpocalypses happen. Score doesnt mean you're skilled, it means your selfish and would rather feed yourself or your kids than be efficient in the system.  Its dependent on others and says nothing about you. It blocked out some of the best eves in the community and forced them to either jump through hoops or give up on ever eveing again. Sure its easy to play the system, but its also boring if you want to take risks and make big plays. Memescore peeps would be more likely to protect griefers as their kids and run away from a fight than make serious change. Thats counter intuitive when it comes to leadership.

Systems always been broken. Leadership is dumb. Always has been.

#7 2021-08-18 02:22:20

OneOfMany

Gremlynn, I'm not concerned about how to grind memescore. Memescore happens. I am also not so overly concerned about being ultra-mega-super-efficient, especially to the point of killing off all the males. I was merely asking about what you think the leader should be doing. Honestly, next life I'm thinking about starting a news cast.

--Fresh News OHOL style--
Your hottest spot for breaking news and viral stories with weather on the 1s.... <spoilers> 0% chance of rain

Board footer