One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-06 02:03:28

NoTruePunk

If official development ever ends we need a server list.

Hi,

For the long term health of the game we need a community server list. Being open source, unofficial development could keep the game going for a long, long time, potentially indefinitely. I think with mod support and a community server list assets could safely be distributed to players from the steam workshop and players could connect to new servers.

The official accounts would be used to track player activity and sort active servers.

I know jason wanted to maintain a curated and controlled experience to players, but if Development ends as he's recently hinted then we need some way to connect new players to community maintained resources through official channels. It needs to be accessible and well known. I know 2HOL exists, but without official acknowledgement from the developer and a blessing all the new players will pay, log in, find no one else to play with and then log out forever, likely with a bad review and/or refund shortly following.

The hiatus is long. It's fine, and I'm not complaining. The game is good. In it's current state the game is not sustainable is all.

If jason has discussed workshop support in the past I'd love to see any statements he's made

#2 2021-07-06 03:58:55

DestinyCall

Re: If official development ever ends we need a server list.

This is an excellent idea.    A server list that shows active servers and the number of active people on each server would be great.   

So many new players don't even realize they can change which server they connect to within the game.   Providing a searchable list that includes community servers would be amazing.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-07-06 03:59:56)

#3 2021-07-06 05:40:20

Gremlynn

I think they also mean custom servers in case the vanilla servers get shut down. Ones like onelifeclassic and etc. Having them steam integrated so its just a matter of downloading something from the steam workshop to access said servers. There was a thread similar with many custom servers but most of them are inactive now. Though jason would need to ok workshop items which is debatable if he would.

#4 2021-07-06 06:23:44

DestinyCall

It is a great feature for any multi-player game.   Especially a game like OHOL that benefits from having new people showing up and playing.    It would breath life into a lot of smaller servers by letting people actually find them.    Not to mention it would allow people to promote spin-off servers that cater to particular preferences - like a more casual server for new players or a more hard-cord server for veterans looking for a challenge.   Or a more classic server for people who are nostalgic for past versions of the game.   

The many different minecraft multiplayer servers are a perfect example of this.

#5 2021-07-06 06:30:54

Gremlynn

^
Without a doubt

#6 2021-07-06 06:41:13

NoTruePunk

I think it's OK to not have a server list only so long as the game is updated and taken care of by the dev. If jason wants out then any remaining feature development should shift focus to cater to the power users and other developers that want to use the game more as a platform for community experiences. It's okay for single player games to have a set ending, but for multiplayer games this is a sure way to kill the game.

Board footer