One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-06-29 04:04:16

DestinyCall

Re: One Hour One Life Classic Server

It is distressing how many things I wouldn't miss if they were removed from this game.

#27 2021-06-29 15:56:02

Arcurus

Gremlynn wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

No race restrictions / No homelands / No Family Iron / No Posse / No Kill restrictions / No unlimited map

Eve spawn in a spiral.

Did I forget something?

No generational food decay. No hierarchy/leadership. No eve spawn restrictions/memescore bs. No tap out distance(at least for oil).

oh yea i included in my mind the leadership thing in the posse stuff i meant no combat restrictions... leadership before the combat nerve was fine...

Yea no family iron / oil / water tap out.  No water / iron lines...

Food decay im not so sure, since then simply berry muching would be enough, so it would need to be replaced...

Last edited by Arcurus (2021-06-29 15:56:35)

#28 2021-06-29 17:52:33

Gremlynn

The issue i see with food decay is that its too bad in the end. One pip food is just stupid. Its a family killer and that's all it really is. An expiration date. People still berry munch, only difference is those new players waste 10x as much food and die way quicker. Early food pips are probably too much, but late game pips are definitely way too little. Im sure there is a middle ground that works well. Removing all of jasons unnatural and stupid disadvantages is a good move. Gen food is one of his worst. The game worked fine before it was added.

Are you a part of this project Arcurus?

#29 2021-06-30 07:25:17

JonySky
Website

The decline of food is another "magic" mechanism that makes no sense, it is a punishment for having a family with many generations, in a game that is based on having long generations ... another contradiction

imagine that in bf5 you are "punished" for conquering more flags ....

Look at the lot of absurd mechanics and the time wasted applying mechanics that have not contributed anything and have ruined the game

I would add a lot of objects that have not contributed anything to the game or are out of the timeline (Dogs, planes, cars, racing cars, morse transmitter, etc ...)

Last edited by JonySky (2021-06-30 07:51:21)

#30 2021-07-01 15:54:31

Arcurus

Gremlynn wrote:

Are you a part of this project Arcurus?

nope...

over the winter i was working with some help from PX on a complete new rewrite of the server based on PX server written in Haxe...

Around 60% to 80% should be complete but its still Alpha...

It supports a limited hand drawn map and rivers and mountains... If you walk out on one side out of the map you come in on the other side...

The main challenge should be a winter that is coming and maybe NPCs... Generally I want it more in GOT style...

The server has also a bot interface, so in theory there could be a version where villages can go on their own, or at least spawn some guards / dogs to stop griefers...

Of course i also want to have another combat system, race boni instead of race restrictions and fathers for spoon smile

And yea no generational food decay, at least not how Jason implemented it. Im thinking about connecting food not only to survival but also to health / strength and prestige.

But i don't want to create big expectations until its more complete and since its just a fun side project there is no guarantee that i will ever reach this...

I wish i would be that stable in my working time management like Jasons 2 hours a day...

P.s.: much thx to the people how gave allready great test feedback! And much much thx @PX for all the help and patience he had with me learning Haxe...

By the way, here is a list of changes to Jason OHL and what is still missing: https://github.com/PXshadow/OpenLife/bl … er/TODO.MD

Last edited by Arcurus (2021-07-01 17:03:38)

#31 2021-07-05 17:47:33

LeAnn
Website

If you want to work on the project, email us.

1. We need someone to take care of requests people make regarding server settings which will include adjusting server settings and testing afterward for it to work as expected, as well as maintaining it overall. No coding knowledge is required but experience with Linux and command-line utilities.

2. And we need someone to edit server code and to edit client code to adjust game design and user experience. For that, you need to know some C++.

We do not offer monetary compensation but you can put it on your resume and we can list you on our website as major contributors so if that's something that you are interested in please email us at

0hXeApT.png

Last edited by LeAnn (2021-07-05 17:54:04)

#32 2021-07-05 18:07:48

Gremlynn

What inspired you guys to start this project?

Board footer