One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-17 02:15:44

Dobbie

The Troubles

So I'm not sure if anyone is having a weird time tonight but let me explain. The first life I was born into I was born a ginger eve but I wasn't a normal spawn in because she had met in the jungle?!  then we process to live in an old white town and my mom continued to have a few kids
-THIS is where it gets weirder so I disconnect ofc I tried to get back on  I was at the child having age ( those poor bbs!) when I came back I was an eve so I was like cool sever restart but I  get disconnected again so I thought oh I need to check my internet (it wasn't my internet)  after I checked logged back in and I was the ginger from before  I was still alive when I was the eve!?

Very confused lol can someone explain?

TLDR-- weird spawning and disconnection issues anyone else?

~Love Dobbie  <3

#2 2021-06-17 02:44:45

DestinyCall

Re: The Troubles

Quite strange.  I wonder if during your Eve life you were redirected to a different server.

#3 2021-06-17 03:06:07

Gremlynn

Not sure about the first part. But the second part is pretty straight forward. When you log out or your game crashes, your character stays alive until they starve. If you have ever seen someone feeding an afk this is often the case. If you attempt to log in again you will be reconnected to that existing life.

#4 2021-06-17 03:37:57

forman

Same shit here, something is wrong with the server. Some people were saying there is a ddos or something going on or something.

#5 2021-06-17 03:39:36

DestinyCall

Another one?   Wonder if it is the same joker as last time.

#6 2021-06-17 03:41:46

AmberA

Yes I've had this happen all night tonight. The game keeps lagging out and crashing. I'm not starving, because some of the lives I had a lot of food left but when I came back it takes me to be another eve or born to another eve. I went from being 4th ranking on the server to 120th because so many of my lives, my babies and all their relatives all die over and over. Its always the same reason, lag out then kicked from game.

I'm pretty sure others around me are crashing as well because the moment I become an eve, I pop out like 4 kids all talking about how they died.

A few of the lives I've been born as a ginger eve right next to a jungle, I thought that wasn't supposed to happen.

#7 2021-06-17 03:46:11

AmberA

I do have a theory.

My first life tonight was perfectly normal. No lag. I was born into a ginger family and my mother was a bonzai cult leader. She wanted to let all the boys die and worship the bonsai tree. She wasn't doing any work just killing kids and since I was 4th on server I became leader but as a boy she let me live as the only boy.

She continued to let all the boys starve.

Long story short, as soon as I was old enough I exiled her, cursed her, then killed her. IMMEDIATELY after she died....the lag and crashes started. @Jason if you're able to look into the logs and find out who that person was, that might be the culprit.

#8 2021-06-17 03:48:33

DestinyCall

If you lost connection and tried to rejoin, but the main server is "full" because of a DDOS attack then you would be redirected to the next server and likely be born as an Eve or the child of an Eve. 

And if you are on a low pop server, with only a handful of other displaced player, race restrictions and various other mechanics would not be in effect, so that might affect Eve spawn locations. 

Since it is a different server, if you died and then managed to get in to the main server, you might be able to reconnect to your past life as a ginger or whatever.

So server hijinks would probably explain everything.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-06-17 03:53:20)

#9 2021-06-17 04:05:31

Gremlynn

It seems like someone is testing a program to pull off a full scale ddos. Considering it only worked on the main server they may be trying to ddos all servers. First time was a test run, second is trouble shooting, next one might be the killer. Hopefully jason can figure out where this is coming from and how they are able to run this attack and get it sorted. I was confused if jason put a stop to the last one or if the attacker just stopped. If the attacker just stopped they might be refining it which is bad news for the game.

#10 2021-06-17 05:55:40

DestinyCall

Either we have almost two hundred people playing OHOL right now ... or the servers are being attacked.     My money is on the second one.

Remote servers:

|--> bigserver2.onehouronelife.com : 8005 ::: 149 / 260

|--> server1.onehouronelife.com : 8005 ::: 28 / 400

|--> server2.onehouronelife.com : 8005 ::: 0 / 160

#11 2021-06-17 07:56:48

DestinyCall

Gremlynn wrote:

It seems like someone is testing a program to pull off a full scale ddos. Considering it only worked on the main server they may be trying to ddos all servers. First time was a test run, second is trouble shooting, next one might be the killer. Hopefully jason can figure out where this is coming from and how they are able to run this attack and get it sorted. I was confused if jason put a stop to the last one or if the attacker just stopped. If the attacker just stopped they might be refining it which is bad news for the game.

I've been surfing through Discord chat logs and Jason did address the issue with the first DOS on Saturday.   This is another attack.    And it looks like it is resolved now.     From the sound of things, the server should be stable again, fingers-crossed.     

The first time around, it looked like it might have been an untargeted attack that just happened to hit our server.  A few other on-line games, like 2HOL, had similar outages around the same time.  Second time, not so much.    So probably someone who is messing with OHOL intentionally.   On the upside, it has exposed a few holes in the server code that Jason has now fixed.    So I guess there's a silver lining to every raincloud.

#12 2021-06-17 13:03:51

Gremlynn

Wild stuff but good that its promoted better server security.

#13 2021-06-17 14:33:43

Dobbie

Oh, I see!  I will say I'm ashamed to be glad it isn't just me :S   as it stands it sounds like everything is better so yay!

#14 2021-06-18 07:14:07

DestinyCall

And the troubles have returned.     This is becoming a regular thing and I don't like it.   

If anyone is trying to connect right now, the main server is under attack.   You can probably log in to server1 or maybe just go play 2HOL until the dust settles.   

Stay safe out there, kids.

Board footer