#2 2021-06-13 18:30:58

fug

Re: Just got banned in OHOL Discord by mean moderators

Yes, those dang mods are just mean.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2021-06-13 18:39:56

Gremlynn

If you think you've been unjustly banned i suggest you email Jason. Posting on here wont do much to help your situation. Discord bans are typically short, especially if its your first offense. That said, you can never be banned from the street.

#4 2021-06-13 18:50:10

Twisted

Freaking finally

#5 2021-06-13 22:14:07

Villanelle
Banned

You're not allowed to have an opinion that griefing is a necessary part of the game and griefers add necessary drama and tension and meaning to the game. Most active clique starts hating on you.

fug wrote:

Yes, those dang mods are just mean.

Yeah they're awful. A bunch of them publicly called me names and overall provoked others to join bullying me over my opinion that differs from theirs that's a behavior a moderator should get stripped of any power. Official reasoning for bullying was that I seem to be someone's alt account and they got a list of users who I could be the alt of. Reminds me of the tribe kill mechanic now OHOL has.

Twisted wrote:

Freaking finally

Yeah that's one of the meanies clique that sees OHOL as just another minecraft. He craved me being banned.

Gremlynn wrote:

If you think you've been unjustly banned i suggest you email Jason. Posting on here wont do much to help your situation. Discord bans are typically short, especially if its your first offense. That said, you can never be banned from the street.

Thank you but I honestly hope to get a refund. I emailed with the refund request and I'm waiting to get my purchase refunded.  Jason doesn't follow the Realtime Manifesto from Tale of Tales as much as he should and it ruined the game. Maybe he forgot about it eventually.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-13 22:29:42)

#6 2021-06-13 22:37:38

Gremlynn

Lol I wonder which mod was bullying you? Unfortunately that behavior has always been a part of the discord. I dont think its going to change any time soon. There is a great deal of anger in this community. Try not to have it rub off on you. Personally i dont think mods should have a bias towards different peoples playstyles. The issue arises when grief style players instigate arguments, use excessive profanity, or say hurtful things. Which was very common, maybe it still is. Same can be said about the opposing side but there is a bit of a double standard with that. And that double standard does come with a level of reason. Constructive playstyles will always garner more sympathy and respect than destructive ones. Its just how people work.

That said if you were not intentionally flaming or using excessive profanity, I suggest you email jason. If he agrees with your viewpoints you might see the change you're looking for.

jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm

#7 2021-06-13 23:14:04

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

It wasn't that you support griefing. It was you CONSTANTLY starting arguments. Your constant stream of negativity towards the player base plagued the discord for the few short days you were there. You love to fight and it's unfriendly and unwelcoming behavior. Goodbye, I hope you do not return.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2021-06-14 00:46:01

Villanelle
Banned

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

It wasn't that you support griefing. It was you CONSTANTLY starting arguments. Your constant stream of negativity towards the player base plagued the discord for the few short days you were there. You love to fight and it's unfriendly and unwelcoming behavior. Goodbye, I hope you do not return.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Because I have different opinion on most of things as to what the most active clique has it is me starting arguments and them just having an opinion while if I have an opinion it is arguments starting and we cannot have a discussion that questions their view on the game. I cannot have an opinion because my opinion is too diffirent from theirs and thus they justify the outright bullying behavior.

Yes, it was unwelcoming of the active Discord clique supported by mods to slander me over supporting Jason's idea of griefing being a necessary part of the game, the guessing game who's alt I am started immediately after I joined the server as well as the game of "call her a mean word" or  "call others to block her because she's just arguing".

The most active Discord people of OHOL with the mods have used to hearing no dissent opinion so much that everyone who had the same opinion that I do has been banned or left the Discord server, that's the reason why they were guessing who's alt I am and every person who they thought I am an alt of was driven out of the OHOL Discord server.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 00:47:21)

#9 2021-06-14 00:50:05

DestinyCall

Considering how lenient the mods are around here, it makes me wonder how you manage to function in any other online community.

#10 2021-06-14 00:54:44

Villanelle
Banned

Gremlynn wrote:

Lol I wonder which mod was bullying you? Unfortunately that behavior has always been a part of the discord. I dont think its going to change any time soon. There is a great deal of anger in this community. Try not to have it rub off on you. Personally i dont think mods should have a bias towards different peoples playstyles. The issue arises when grief style players instigate arguments, use excessive profanity, or say hurtful things. Which was very common, maybe it still is. Same can be said about the opposing side but there is a bit of a double standard with that. And that double standard does come with a level of reason. Constructive playstyles will always garner more sympathy and respect than destructive ones. Its just how people work.

That said if you were not intentionally flaming or using excessive profanity, I suggest you email jason. If he agrees with your viewpoints you might see the change you're looking for.

jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm

Most of the mods actually supported calling me names and did so themselves because I suppose they were very certain I'm someone's alt they already drove out of the community and so I deserve that kind of treatment.

My playstyle actually is peaceful but I am of the opinion that griefers do add necessary tension to the game. The same opinion that Jason Rorher voiced multiple times. And I believe curses system does lead in the end eventually, to people cursing others over minor offenses.

The user "Cranky" stalked my OHOL account and concluded that I never griefied so someone did confirm I'm not a griefer, I just have strong views on game design that changed in OHOL over time.

Thanks for the suggestion and caring enough to give that helpful advice, I will consider emailing Jason over it.

But to be honest I'm waiting to get a refund and if at least new content is added I might purchase it again. Because without a common goal: a war, to protect resources, to protect against griefers, to survive (in towns you don't need to survive), to maybe tend after "the tree of life" that if not cared for leads to server reset. Without any goal that gives meaning to playing the game for me it is utterly boring.

Role-players are the saving grace sometimes but half the player base are no-fun potato-robots that act like NPC which I can get in any single player game.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 00:58:36)

#11 2021-06-14 01:01:47

Villanelle
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

Considering how lenient the mods are around here, it makes me wonder how you manage to function in any other online community.

If a tribe doesn't accept me speaking the truth, not lying and being honest the same thing happens. People are tribal creatures and bullying as well as scapegoating are what we as tribal creatures do all the time including online communities and if the established clique's bubble is disturbed then it's bad. In some communities I am already in a formed bubble and that doesn't happen but when I agree with how things already are I am usually read only because everything that needs to be said is already said by someone else. In OHOL discord everyone who was actively voicing similar opinion to mine according to what I heard was exiled and thus people considered I must be someone's alt and then mustn't be treated as a new member but as someone they already hate.

You said it makes you wonder and I think maybe someone else could wonder about that and since this thread is about how I did get banned here you go.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 01:06:06)

#12 2021-06-14 01:07:18

Gremlynn

To be fair ive seen what Villanelle is talking about countless times and they're not wrong. If they were simply presenting their view or making counterpoints it shouldn't justify a ban. Defending your point of view shouldn't be something to silence. Even if its unpopular. Its not easy to have an unpopular opinion on the discord and it usually results in the same kind of behavior. People calling them children, losers, etc. The difference i see is when someone blatantly comes on and brags about killing a family or town to instigate an argument. Then precedes to name call and etc. Considering Villanelle hasnt done that in the forums and seems to have a passionate and thought out viewpoint i struggle to see them behaving in that way. Though i could be wrong. That said, i wouldnt worry Villanelle, the discord is a pretty noxious place to be in general. You're better off avoiding it.

#13 2021-06-14 01:13:23

Villanelle
Banned

In the first minutes of my presence in Discord mods said I am "s////ng Jason's d//k dry" so yeah if mod team doesn't change I'm better off that place.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 01:13:56)

#14 2021-06-14 01:19:23

Gremlynn

I wonder which mod said that? Lol

#15 2021-06-14 01:26:41

Villanelle
Banned

Gremlynn wrote:

I wonder which mod said that? Lol

To find out who said what I need to be back to the discord server and use the search feature. I'm bad at remembering nicknames.

#16 2021-06-14 01:30:25

Gremlynn

Its all good i was mostly being sarcastic. I can make a pretty good guess.

#17 2021-06-14 02:46:40

DestinyCall

Villanelle wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

If a tribe doesn't accept me speaking the truth, not lying and being honest the same thing happens. People are tribal creatures and bullying as well as scapegoating are what we as tribal creatures do all the time including online communities and if the established clique's bubble is disturbed then it's bad. In some communities I am already in a formed bubble and that doesn't happen but when I agree with how things already are I am usually read only because everything that needs to be said is already said by someone else. In OHOL discord everyone who was actively voicing similar opinion to mine according to what I heard was exiled and thus people considered I must be someone's alt and then mustn't be treated as a new member but as someone they already hate.

You said it makes you wonder and I think maybe someone else could wonder about that and since this thread is about how I did get banned here you go.

Yes, Discord is a tribal group with its own rules for good social conduct, like many online communities.   If you come into a close-knit group and make no effort to understand what counts as "acceptable" behavior within that group, it really shouldn't be a surprise if you upset some people.   If you get feedback from the group that your behavior is unacceptable and, instead of moderating your own behavior, you continue to intentionally act outside the social norms ... it should not be a surprise that you attract the attention of the mods.   

That is literally their job.   

To be clear, I don't spend much time on the discord.  Not my cup of tea.  They could all be horrible people, for all I know.   

But I think it is really silly to come here and act like the victim when you clearly instigated this situation.   Please try to take some responsibility for your own behavior or you will keep running into "mean moderators" everywhere you go.

#18 2021-06-14 02:51:50

Villanelle
Banned

>If you come into a close-knit group and make no effort to understand what counts as "acceptable" behavior within that group,

If you've read what I wrote above you would see that the mods were insulting me in the first minutes of my arrival in the server because they thought I'm someone's alt because I was expressing the same opinion that the many people they drove out of the server. There is no acceptable behavior in that situation. Keeping my thoughts on the game hush hush is betraying myself and isn't acceptable to me. Next time please read the thread before posting a reply.

>, you continue to intentionally act outside the social norms ... it should not be a surprise that you attract the attention of the mods.   

I mean I'm not surprised I got banned by mean tribalistic people. I saw it coming from, say, my first 10 minutes on the Discord because I was showered with insults over supporting Jason's view on the game design.

If trying to fit in when expressing dissent opinion and oh trying not to get banned because dissent opinion is dangerous your way of doing it, I understand, but I wouldn't recommend others try to fit in into tribalistic groups anywhere. Humans must be above that.

The behavior I witnessed is typical bullying-scapegoating behavior that an established clique practices in many online communities. It is especially vile in communities with real time participation.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 03:00:34)

#19 2021-06-14 03:35:40

fug

OP is banned for repeating being asked not to use slurs in general.
Baiting arguments since they joined the discord 5 days ago
Uploading random files then being asked not to (followed by posting a picture to bait another TO)
Being disruptive to the community
And overall not being a friendly or welcoming person.

OP cannot act like a civil person in the discord and hence was banned.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#20 2021-06-14 03:45:37

Villanelle
Banned

OP is banned for repeating being asked not to use slurs in general.

That's false, I did not use slurs in general.

Baiting arguments since they joined the discord 5 days ago

That's what I'm talking about. Having an opposite to the established clique opinion they call baiting arguments all while showering me with slurs.

Uploading random files then being asked not to

Upload a zip with 3 ini OHOL setting files for switching server when a user was asking for how to do it.

(followed by posting a picture to bait another TO)

They were claiming I posted a file that weighted a lot and 3 ini files cannot weight that and I posted a screenshot that showed how much did it really weight.

Being disruptive to the community

That's having different opinion.

And overall not being a friendly or welcoming person.

Not being friendly and welcoming person is about a lot of mods and active users that began insulting me over having the opinion that aligns with what Jason Rorher said on the forums. Insults included insinuating I had sexual intercourse with Jason and that's in first minutes of me being on the said Discord server.

Overall mod team and established clique behavior is typical scapegoating behavior and the pinnacle of by the book scapegoating is that occurrence with me sending the said config files. "It is a potential virus, ban for once, finally!" screamed the public. They wanted my blood and every my move, my word was interpreted in a way that would finally allow the mods to banish me.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 04:10:14)

#21 2021-06-14 03:52:58

fug

You know what you did, multiple mods shared the same viewpoint as myself and you earned your ban.

You can whine to the forums, you can whine to Jason, but until Jason gives you a thumbs up you're banned for your behavior.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#22 2021-06-14 03:53:48

Villanelle
Banned

fug wrote:

You know what you did, multiple mods shared the same viewpoint as myself and you earned your ban.

You can whine to the forums, you can whine to Jason, but until Jason gives you a thumbs up you're banned for your behavior.

Yeah I had my own opinion that was different from the established clique.

I received a lot of insults from the mod team & the clique.

No one ever got a warning over that. Mods didn't try to stop the bullying dynamic, they supported it. 

Mods were searching for every reason in their book rule they could use to banish me. Since actually first minutes of me being on the server because it was claimed I'm someone's alt.

And one of the reasons they found is when I posted the zip file with 3 ini config files for changing default game server to custom one. Nobody ever downloaded it of  the mods to pass it on virustotal and tell it's not okay - nope,  they deleted it and claimed "behold, it is POTENTIALLY MALICOUS, she is now sharing potentially malicious files! How horrible, a good reason to ban her!". I was being helpful, you're welcome. The mods don't need to download it and pass it over to virus total, I'm sure they know what they do here, they know what game they play on the Discord server and they knew it's most likely an okay file. The best course of action to use the situation to ban me is to delete it and to claim it's potentially malicious because any file could be potentially malicious.

And then when they deleted the file and someone claimed the zip file was huge insinuating 3 ini files cannot be that big, I posted the screenshot of the file with it's size to show that it was actually quite small, and I got banned for posting the screenshot.

Which only support everything I just said above: you were searching for any reason to ban me while playing out the typical scapegoating tribal mechanic.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 04:07:28)

#23 2021-06-14 04:15:39

Dodge

I'm not a huge fan of griefing i think "antagonist" type behavior should come naturally from in game situations, Jason wouldn't have added a curse system if he seriously thought that actual griefing was a good thing, what he said about it was a joke he had with friends at a bar and more like a metaphor for challenging situations involving opposing player interaction and not litteral griefing.

But the game is garbage and doesn't provide that so i can understand how it adds a little spice to a very boring and repetitive game.

OHOL's discord is for people that actually play this game currently, ew, since the current game is a crappier version of minecraft and not much else, they usually have the same mindset and way they play it, if you dont play their way they dont like it, and talking about griefing usually makes them really triggered, not very open minded, sensitive and usually a lower degree of maturity, i can see how conversations about it would easily turn into group mentality and pettiness.

That being said it's an open place for every player of this game and discussions should be allowed as long as they dont break any rules.

If you are serious and actually got harrassed you should take screenshots of these interactions.

This behaviour should not be tolerated, mods especially should not be exempt from a ban since they have to show the example, and any action on their part like instigating harrassment or abusive use of their function should result in a warning followed by a ban if not corrected.

#24 2021-06-14 04:21:05

Villanelle
Banned

Dodge wrote:

what he said about it was a joke he had with friends at a bar

I'm gonna quote what Jason Rorher said here:

Reality is about the balance between chaos and order.  Maintaining order is something to strive for, and gives life meaning.

Without the threat of at least some chaos, there's nothing to strive for, and nothing to fight against, and nothing to organize around.

A griefer represents a little shard of chaos.  A griefer is something that everyone can agree on.  Its something they can band together against.  They can fight the good fight.  Without that shard of chaos, they wouldn't need to band together in quite the same way.

As you can see he might have 'joked' that griefer is an important role but in the end it seems it is an important role in the end.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-14 04:22:02)

#25 2021-06-14 04:57:07

DestinyCall

What I take away from that quote is that Jason fully expects people in his game to band together to attack griefers.  Not welcome them with open arms for adding spicy fun to the game.

As Dodge said, antagonist behavior that comes from within the framework of the game world is different from what I would call "real griefing".   People fighting for survival, stupid misunderstandings, differences of opinion regarding the best shape of a farm plot, killing the guy who keeps molesting the town's penguin ... that isn't griefing, even if it gets mistaken for such, often enough.   It is just villagers interacting like real people in a fantasy world.  Those kind of conflicts are possible because the game allows a wide level of freedom. That freedom is a part of OHOL that I value and would like to preserve.

But griefing is something different.   Griefing is about messing with other players and ruining their fun.   It isn't necessary or beneficial to the game, because it isn't any part of it.  It is people playing their own game, with OHOL players as their targets.  Encouraging griefers is not going to make OHOL better.   Griefing breaks the game. 

Like adding too much spice to a taco, it will just make the whole thing inedible.

Board footer