One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-11 05:49:32

Villanelle
Banned

Curse system is Voteban and vote kill have killed the game

Boring players who are there just to grind curse everyone who disturbs their bubble. It explains where is all the playerbase. They're cursed.
Who's left? Boring farts.

Votekill? Look at Minecraft 2b2t. Why is it popular? The same reason why OHOL was popular. It was anarchy.

Now it's just another boring grind game with voteban for 'pesky griefers' and even griefing now is boring - you can't kill anyone without asking a permission of a group first. At best it is a simulator of manipulating your tribe to kill someone for fun.

#2 2021-06-11 06:47:47

DestinyCall

Re: Curse system is Voteban and vote kill have killed the game

Oh yes.   All the cool kids are stuck in Donkey Town.   Sounds legit.

#3 2021-06-11 06:51:53

Villanelle
Banned

Online player count speaks for itself. 20 people was online minutes ago. They're stuck in Donkey Town in means of they've left the game after being stuck in Donkey Town. It was 2b2t style anarchy game, now it is harvest moon online.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-11 06:52:53)

#4 2021-06-11 12:49:20

DestinyCall

It amuses me greatly that you are trying to argue that "not enough griefing" is the reason this game is losing players.

That is certainly one possible explanation, I guess.   I can think of a few others.

#5 2021-06-11 13:16:14

fug

No no no, clearly no one understands farts and art and cannot appreciate all the flaws. Play the game no matter how bad1111!1

Game is currently dead due to content drought not because of cursing.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2021-06-11 15:44:34

SirCaio

If it really bothers you that much, you can always get yourself cursed and go join them in donkey town, if you are lucky, you may spawn as one of their babies and be promptly left for dead, true anarchy.

#7 2021-06-11 16:21:58

LilyFox

Yea I highly doubt the reason why this game appears to be semi-dead right now is lack of griefing rather than general lack of new content and interesting gaming experiences. That said, there's simply no potential for in-game conflict other than griefing right now because all towns so heavily rely on each other. Why would you attack the Gingers for example if you already know you're gonna have to beg them for oil in a few hours? As a result, the game becomes more and more stale and boring, all towns start looking the same, etc. New players leave out of frustration because of the non-intuitive mechanics and old players leave out of boredom. But having less players means everything starts looking even more similar because it's gonna be mostly the same people doing the same stuff over and over again.

Really, the state of this game is pretty depressing right now … when I checked the server list a few days ago, there were just 14 (!!!) people playing on bs2. Does this really count as being in a “good place”? I really hope that once Jason finishes his moving adventure, he'll do some serious reconsiderations regarding certain game mechanics because right now, the game seems to be slowly fading away.

#8 2021-06-11 16:54:54

Villanelle
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

It amuses me greatly that you are trying to argue that "not enough griefing" is the reason this game is losing players.

That is certainly one possible explanation, I guess.   I can think of a few others.

It's not the sole reason of course. People would still stay for updates if he would be updating the game but in the absence of updates when it's no more a game of 2b2t / Rust survival (but with a family dynamic) certainly drove a portion of players out naturally

1. "the point is that griefers add necessary tension and drama to the game." Jason Rorher

2. "So you really want to play for the rest of your days without a single incident of theft, mischief, or murder?  I don't think you actually want that.  Search your heart." Jason Rorher

3. And with less and less drama, everyone has curse tokens to spare, which means that people are more likely to spend them over the slightest infraction.  Thus, a vicious cycle". Jason Rorher.

This is what happened. He stopped updating the game so people have no hope anything will change so they accept the current state as permanent. In current state people cursed each other that much that it led to I believe a portion of players stop playing and as Jason predicted back then it's now easy to get cursed. And so naturally people who are left basically are playing on their private server mostly with the same people likey the are. They created a bubble of people who only enjoy grind.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-11 17:06:48)

#9 2021-06-11 17:08:46

Villanelle
Banned

SirCaio wrote:

If it really bothers you that much, you can always get yourself cursed and go join them in donkey town, if you are lucky, you may spawn as one of their babies and be promptly left for dead, true anarchy.

There is no babies in donkey town and not enough players to play with anyone on donkey town.

Everyone is an Eve in donkey town and speech is scrambled. That was designed for when there was a lot of players so it would work as a temporary ban but it escalated as Jason predicted and as I see it led to players abandoning the game.

#10 2021-06-11 18:47:34

Gremlynn

As much as i think the current kill mechanics are boring. I really dont think they play a major role in the player count. I'm not sure how the current curse culture is these days. But if i remember correctly it was quite toxic. People would stalk players info and make profiles on them. Share it within the community and if they knew they were playing a bunch of people would hop on and spam curse them. People would often convince people in phex to curse someone, if it was warranted or not. That said its more of a community problem than a mechanical one. Not much jason can do about that.

#11 2021-06-11 18:52:39

Villanelle
Banned

Gremlynn wrote:

People would stalk players info and make profiles on them.

That still goes. I saw that on Discord and I saw two people admit to doing that.
And one person was sharing the info they collected on players and their lifes.

Jason predicted curse system would escalate. It did.

Last edited by Villanelle (2021-06-11 18:58:53)

#12 2021-06-14 14:10:27

Laggy

the curse systems exists to sell more copies of the game. good luck getting jason to give up that cash.

#13 2021-06-14 20:11:01

DestinyCall

Laggy wrote:

the curse systems exists to sell more copies of the game. good luck getting jason to give up that cash.

The game exists to sell more copies of the game. 

Prove me wrong.

Board footer