One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-21 12:38:00

JonySky
Website

The game is dying

Some time ago I made the following post ...

OHOL needs a minimum of several players to continue working ... curiously the absurd and forced mechanics that Jason has implemented do not support a reduction of players

I explain:

If we need 4 families obligatorily (due to race limitations) and each family needs at least 2 or 3 children (to follow the lineages) we already have at least 12 players

But those 3 children in each family must do essential tasks like getting iron, growing and getting water
If they perform other tasks the city will die.

all this without counting SSIDs, cities without girls, killers, novice players or wild animals

We currently have an average of 47 players, but we have 26 player spikes (spread across multiple servers)

either this game changes radically or in a few months we can say goodbye to continue playing OHOL

Last edited by JonySky (2020-05-21 10:56:44)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=9739&p=2

We are currently reaching really low player numbers

2021-05-21-14-23-57-One-Hour-One-Life-Steam-Charts.png

Can players on this forum who continue to play the game explain how the game feels right now?

Is the game really repetitive?
do you always play with the same players?
do your mothers and grandmothers continually become daughters?
Do any of the 4 families run out of players often?
Are there still massively advanced level items (for example engines)?
in the last Twisted video his mother is an EVD .... is this happening more often now?
The image shows time with 6 players ... ¿Is the game playable with the level of players so low?
¿Are useless objects like dogs, wagons, radios, racing cars being created?
¿Cities are moving fast?
¿How many generations are families living today?
Are there veteran players who teach the game to "new" players?
Are there still players from the "old school"?

Last edited by JonySky (2021-05-21 12:53:53)

#2 2021-05-21 12:58:25

DestinyCall

Re: The game is dying

Ironically, the game is probably more playable with fewer people ... to a point.   If the player count drops below a certain threshold, the main server should meet the requirements to be considered a "low population" server.

On low pop servers, race restrictions and language barriers are lifted.

So as long as we stay under a certain population, we can survive with fewer than four families.   The problem is that we are not notified when we fluctuate above or below this critical point.   And it can even happen mid-life, if players leave or join.  If the population rises too much, we will have to maintain four villages again and get pushed back into the same old grind.

Might be a good idea to check the reflector to see the current player population before you join so you will know if race restrictions are in effect before you begin playing.  Or check if you can harvest items from specialty biomes in-game before seeking out other families for critical supplies.

#3 2021-05-21 16:54:05

Spoonwood

JonySky wrote:

OHOL needs a minimum of several players to continue working ... curiously the absurd and forced mechanics that Jason has implemented do not support a reduction of players

Race restrictions aren't active in any respect when a server has less than 15 players on it.  Only 2 players are needed, with appropriate timing, for a parenting game.  The building part of the game can get played without the parenting aspect, though of course then, it's no longer multiplayer.  So, there's not any minimum for the game to work.

Also, in most respects, race restrictions aren't active when a server has less than 30 players on it.

Wait, there's one aspect.  I think Eve chaining isn't possible under any conditions on bigserver2 (though maybe there is some condition where it can be active), and BPSkotch said this past winter that he failed to Eve chain on server1 during the TikTok influx, though Eve chaining is available on servers 2 through 15 from what.

DestinyCall wrote:

The problem is that we are not notified when we fluctuate above or below this critical point.

Hetuw mod has a feature where you can see how many players *not including yourself* are on a server.  Though, I do see how it could be a nuisance to not know whether or not one has race restrictions active, and they can become active quickly as Yikes experienced.  There's not a reliable way to know whether you can do oil or not in a life, even if you have the resources ready for it.

And as you pointed out Destiny, yes you can check the reflector before you play as well as when you play.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2021-05-21 17:46:23

Caiaphus Tarwater

Spoonwood wrote:

Race restrictions aren't active in any respect when a server has less than 15 players on it.

I understand this, and on the low pop servers this is always the case.

Spoonwood wrote:

Also, in most respects, race restrictions aren't active when a server has less than 30 players on it.

Could someone please explain what this means?

#5 2021-05-22 00:27:22

Spoonwood

Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

I understand this, and on the low pop servers this is always the case.

A server qualifying as 'low pop', other than with respect to Eve spawns, just depends on it's player population at the time.

Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

Could someone please explain what this means?

The language barrier is active between 15 and 30 players, I think.  Whites haven't had the ability to understand players or other races on bigserver2 since the last change when a server has less than 30 players on it, but understanding members of other families is possible when a server has less than 15 players on it.  The inability to members of another family is a race restriction, given that there's only one family of each race (which has had some exceptions, so maybe I would do better to not call it a race restriction, and call it a family restriction instead). 

Also, I'll mention here that the biome band mechanics are active, I think, 15 players and above.  Below 15 players, and homelands are well or cistern based or families (or at least Eves) have "free reign" and thus can have children anywhere.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2021-05-24 07:26:57

JonySky
Website

In other words, all the forced and absurd mechanics incorporated into the game are magically deactivated when the number of players drops to historical lows ...

This shows once again that these mechanics have been part of the great problem of OHOL

This reminds me of a phrase that is said in my country:
Throw the stone and hide the hand

A lot of time has been wasted implementing magic solutions and careless and forced patches (with the false label of "innovative mechanics") and no progress has been made in solving the real problems of OHOL

Board footer