One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-24 00:55:06

forman

Switching to Key Blank With Hammer Makes Locks Useless

I like to keep certain equipment locked in sheds which I painstakingly built from stone with three locked doors that I regularly cycled with three different keys.

I even built a forge outside so I quickly scrap and re-forge keys and locks and put all my forge equipment in locked chests outside the building.

And yet people kept robbing me.

Finally I realized you can easily switch a lock and key back to a blank with a smiting hammer instead of having to re-forge a new lock and key.

Before I realized this, I assumed you would have to re forge them and, in that way, locks and keys seemed effective and fair.

But if keys can be switched back to blanks by using a hammer and a file you can easily break through any number of locks tout suite making locks pointless.

#2 2021-04-24 02:17:18

DestinyCall

Re: Switching to Key Blank With Hammer Makes Locks Useless

Do you play solo on a low-population server or on the main server in a normal multi-player village?   

On the main server, locks are not just useless, they are actively detrimental.   If you succeed in keeping important tools locked away from the rest of the village, the whole village could die because they can't reach what they need, when it is needed.

Use property gates instead.  The ownership can be passed from person to person, so you don't need to mess around with hiding key.  And the current owner is easy to find if you need something behind the gate.

#3 2021-04-24 03:28:47

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I know who broke open your first one. You had 2 trucks in there FULL of oil and kero. FULL. Keeping the paver locked up with some spare oil is fine, but you don't need to be keeping 2 trucks full to kero to yourself. Be less greedy with what'cha got in there.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2021-04-24 12:28:24

forman

The reason I started using keys in the first place is because families often die and fences decay leaving all of the valuable goods open to greifers.  If someone really REALLY needed to get through a lock they could smith each key and  lock until they get the combo. This would take time and effort which is exactly the point. But with hammer blank its far too easy. It should at least be as difficult to open as it is to lock and it's not.

I also only store small amounts of things, that I typically made or acquired myself, in a specific place, for a specific purpose that it was intended to be used -- paving usually.

Having to find a gate owner to open a gate that may or may not be close by, who may not speak the same language is a pain and could take half of my life. Especially when they may refuse me access to my own stuff. There needs to be a way to secure your things from life to life with effort, requiring equivalent effort to break through.

#5 2021-04-24 12:54:02

forman

Oh and Slinky, it's true I had a lot that time but I was holding it for the desert family which died out directly south of that shed. When the eve returned I came back to give it to them it was gone and the fam died before I could get more from the old lokke base.

#6 2021-04-24 13:43:56

QuirkySmirkyIan

Its not useless you have to be a really skilled player to get rid of a lock. Most people think its so hard to do but it really only takes a few minutes and an entire file. But barely anyone knows how.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#7 2021-04-24 14:36:28

DestinyCall

forman wrote:

Oh and Slinky, it's true I had a lot that time but I was holding it for the desert family which died out directly south of that shed. When the eve returned I came back to give it to them it was gone and the fam died before I could get more from the old lokke base.

An Eve camp doesn't really need two trucks full of kero, does it?  They need people who know how to survive and rebuild from scratch.   

When a family dies out, their stuff isn't "theirs" any longer.  They are dead and gone.  Their stuff belongs to the living.  It isn't griefing to remove resources from a dead town, so long as you intend to do something with it.   That is normal and reasonable game-play.

Locking resources away from everyone is much closer to griefing.  Especially when you are planning to keep it locked up for hours and hours.   Perhaps even forever, if you forget to come back or can't find it in a future life.  Generations of people will live and die without access to those useful resources in that length of time. 

OHOL is a multi-player game for a reason.  We aren't supposed to do everything ourselves, over multiple lives.   That is not the goal of this multi-generational village simulator.  At some point, you need to let go and trust the next generation to take over, instead of trying to lock away all the precious things so your kids don't get their grubby hands all over them.

You keep getting robbed because you are causing people grief through your actions.  They need what you are taking and hiding away bad enough to break in and take it back.   

The solution is to not "better locks" ... it is to stop stealing from future generations.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-04-24 14:58:29)

#8 2021-04-24 18:00:13

forman

Making the keys have to be reformed makes it an investment to break through -- an investment relative to the investment the person put in to locking them.

Keys are a feature -- and as they are, keys are basically pointless.

If you are asking me /why/ lock things away its about time.

I personally take on very large projects that require specialized equipment. Like trucks, engines, kero, oil, and pigment/paint.

I make all of these things and when I want to use them they should be there. I don't want to have to ask permission or spend half my life translating or tracking down an owner who may not let me have them.

If people really need to get into one of my sheds then they can spend the necessary time to do so the same way I spent the time to lock them.

I could honestly smith all the necessary parts to break through a shed in about ten or twenty minutes.

#9 2021-04-24 19:50:20

Bellium

Honestly, I feel like the problem with this line of thinking is that it just becomes a waste of recourses to break locks, I understand wanting to have your "shed" be more secure, but forcing people to reforge keys won't really stop them, testing out three different lock and key combos is already a pretty big effort.

The place is gonna be as secure whether you can file keys or you need to reforge them, it's just putting a greater resource and time cost on the whole endeavor in order to try and make people not bother, but with things as important and trucks entirely fully of kero and engines, they're probably not gonna give up on it.

#10 2021-04-24 19:58:23

Spy Mouse

Locked doors are not in the game to serve as a vault, its just a protection against people walking by not to take the stuff inside.

In order to unlock a door not only has the person that does it have to know the lock and key mechanics. They also have to go back to their town, which in your case will be at least 0,5 k away to get all necessary parts, they also need to make the blank lock and key since its not usually just laying in the town.

The difference between locked and not locked doors is the effort that went into making the lock and key and trying the combinations, griefers even when aware of those mechanics are probably not interested in forging a lock and key just to steal some stuff from cabin in the middle of nowhere effectively not killing any town, its just not worth it.

Also the "investment" of locking the door is the same as the one unlocking it, you need one lock and key in either case so it seems rather fair to me.

One day planes will be viable.
I can feel it in my /die baby bones.

#11 2021-04-24 22:15:57

Gremlynn

Make a github post. Its the best way to resolve mechanical issues like this.

#12 2021-04-24 22:29:08

sigmen4020

Gremlynn wrote:

Make a github post. Its the best way to resolve mechanical issues like this.

I'm sure that'll get it solved in a jiffy lmao. Meanwhile I have 6 open issues sitting on github for almost a year with Jason having yet to respond to any of them.

C3FJmnC.png

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2021-04-24 22:30:47)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#13 2021-04-24 22:41:27

Gremlynn

Ive have had 2/6 of my github issues resolved right away, and the remaining sorted for when jason can get to them. Not a single post of mine has been rejected. The two that were resolved were done so because the issues needed to be resolved right away. Its not surprising jason puts others on the back burner when they're not game breaking.

But i guess there will always be a group of people to abuse mechanics just to prove a point to him and force his hand. Ruining the game for others in the mean time and justifying it because their tiny problem became a big one due to their efforts.

To reference the forums author. Reserving materials to maintain the servers wealth is a common trend. Just because someone is fencing them in on full display in town doesnt make them different than someone who does something similar in a far off outpost. The goals are the same. The issue i see is more that one syndicate of people want total governance over the resources of the server under their rules. Anyone else is an enemy even if they are doing the same thing, even if they're doing it more successfully.

#14 2021-04-24 23:31:00

forman

I found a solution to my problem will post eventually -- its magnificent XD

#15 2021-04-24 23:34:01

sigmen4020

When was the last time you used github? Jason has literally not closed a single github issue related to Ohol in the entire year of 2021, and we’re almost halfway through this year. Sure he used to respond to issues more frequently, but then is not now.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2021-04-24 23:34:40)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#16 2021-04-25 19:17:40

Gremlynn

I mean jason hasnt patched the game at all in 2021. If he still plans to develop the game im sure we'll see some of the problems addressed. If not, *shrug*

#17 2021-04-25 19:53:56

DestinyCall

Remember when we got weekly content updates?   

Ah, those were the good times.   You don't appreciate what you have until it is gone.

#18 2021-04-25 23:10:47

Gremlynn

Board footer